Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Upset
booroo 12:36 PM 02-08-2010
Ok, so I have 1 daycare child that I watch every other week (the 5 year old with behavioral problems). Last week he was here. So I watched him M-Th from 12-6, then friday and saturday from 8-6pm. I always make him supper, and a snack. Well she is never on time to drop him off. Then some times she may not bring him, and call me.
Well on saturday I made appointment for my children for eye exams, I was going to bring him with us. Well she never showed up before we left at 845am.
I get back from the appointment and I have a message on my phone, asking where am I, that she came by and we werent home, the call was 958am, so this tells me, she came after 930am. She then told me that I should have to pay for the sitter that she had to find.

Ok NO!!!, You have a job that is from 8am to 6pm, this child should be here at 745 am and picked up no later than 615pm.
I dont know what to do, I told her I wouldnt pay for the back up sitter she had. I aslo told her that she was paying me for the day.
Im not here to sit around all day waiting to decided if your coming or not. I'm really mad.

I took this boy on, before I decided to do full daycare. I just responded to her ad to bring in a little income. Well I decided after watching him and spending time with him, that I could do this with more child, therefor I have no contract or policy in order. Is it to late to write a policy and contract up and have her sign it?
Thank you all so much.
mac60 12:53 PM 02-08-2010
I would write up a contract, and attach a letter to it that stated in order to continue care the following guidelines will be followed per my attached contract: She is awful gutsy.
momma2girls 12:56 PM 02-08-2010
I would get a contract written out for her immediately with her contracted hrs. in it. Make sure and include late fees, etc..... GOOD LUCK!!!!
gbcc 01:00 PM 02-08-2010
I don't think it's too late. I would just draft it up and let her know that there are some things that need to be established and agreed upon. This way you are both on the same page and there will be no misunderstandings of what is expected. Give her like one wk to sign it and ask questions.
tymaboy 01:34 PM 02-08-2010
I dont think you can get her to pay you for the day since there is not contract but as soon as you get one writen up then you can. Be sure to put late fees, no show fees, sick policy when pay is due & a late payment fee.
Persephone 01:47 PM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I dont think you can get her to pay you for the day since there is not contract but as soon as you get one writen up then you can. Be sure to put late fees, no show fees, sick policy when pay is due & a late payment fee.
I agree that if she doesn't want to pay you I don't think there's anything you can do.

It's not too late to have her sign a contract. Did your other parents? I would have gave her one when you had other kids start. Just saying that so all the kids here were the same.

Too bad that she showed up late. Your not there to just sit around waiting for them to show. You had an appointment and thought that she wasn't coming.

No way in heck would I pay for her backup sitter!
momofboys 03:04 PM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
Ok, so I have 1 daycare child that I watch every other week( the 5 year old with behavioral problems.). Last week he was here. So I watched him M- Th from 12-6, then friday and saturday from 8-6pm. I always make him supper, and a snack. Well she is never on time to drop him off. Then some times she may not bring him, and call me.
Well on saturday I made appointment for my children for eye exams, I was going to bring him with us. Well she never showed up before we left at 845am.
I get back from the appointment and I have a message on my phone, asking where am I, that she came by and we werent home, the call was 958am, so this tells me, she came after 930am. She then told me that I should have to pay for the sitter that she had to find.
Ok NO!!!, You have a job that is from 8am to 6pm, this child should be here at 745 am and picked up no later than 615pm.
I dont know what to do, I told her I wouldnt pay for the back up sitter she had. I aslo told her that she was paying me for the day.
Im not here to sit around all day waiting to decided if your coming or not. Im really mad.
I took this boy on, before I decided to do full daycare. I just responded to her ad to bring in a little income. Well I decided after watching him and spending time with him, that I could do this with more child, therefor I have no contract or policy in order. Is it to late to write a policy and contract up and have her sign it?
Thank you all so much.
Did you call her on the fact that she was VERY late??? You shouldn't have to wait around; wow it sounds like she was 2 hrs late, right? I would not pay for back-up; I'd tell her you need to show me some respect & let me know you will be late. I'd also let her know if you are over 30 min late & don;t notify me I will go on with me day, I can't just sit at home waiting. Where is people's sense of common courtesy/manners?!?! I don't think you can expect to get paid but neither should you pay a back-up! Definitely write up a contract with guidelines, terms of payment, etc.
TGT09 03:26 PM 02-08-2010
Absolutely not too late. I would tell her it's coming and let her know that one will be given on such and such date. I'm getting ready to update mine and they even have to sign a new form saying that BOTH parents have read it. I give a 2 week notice before they recieve a new one.

Even if my parents are 15 minutes or more late picking up their child, I will call them to see where they are. Most people see this as micromanaging but I want them to understand that it is not acceptable. I don't do it for drop-off time but it's just as annoying....however on a Saturday (to me) are MUCH different circumstances. Plus, I've never had a child come more than 15 minutes after their contracted time.
momma2girls 03:30 PM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by mcmann05:
Absolutely not too late. I would tell her it's coming and let her know that one will be given on such and such date. I'm getting ready to update mine and they even have to sign a new form saying that BOTH parents have read it. I give a 2 week notice before they recieve a new one.

Even if my parents are 15 minutes or more late picking up their child, I will call them to see where they are. Most people see this as micromanaging but I want them to understand that it is not acceptable. I don't do it for drop-off time but it's just as annoying....however on a Saturday (to me) are MUCH different circumstances. Plus, I've never had a child come more than 15 minutes after their contracted time.
Unfortunately I have had children drop off 2-3 hrs. after their contracted drop off time!!!! I have already spoken to parents about this, they definately need to call me, when this is going to happen!!! In the Spring and summer if we are not here, when they drop off so late, so be it!! I plan on taking field trips, walks, etc....... Now they all know this!!!! I really need to beef up my contract next yr. stating this as well!! Parents think nothing of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carole's Daycare 08:43 AM 02-09-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Did you call her on the fact that she was VERY late??? You shouldn't have to wait around; wow it sounds like she was 2 hrs late, right? I would not pay for back-up; I'd tell her you need to show me some respect & let me know you will be late. I'd also let her know if you are over 30 min late & don;t notify me I will go on with me day, I can't just sit at home waiting. Where is people's sense of common courtesy/manners?!?! I don't think you can expect to get paid but neither should you pay a back-up! Definitely write up a contract with guidelines, terms of payment, etc.
Agreed 100% She was rude and inconsiderate, and it cost her by having to get a back up. That's life- consequences for being an idiot. In fact I would use that very fact- that she was rude and inconsiderate, as a reason/foundation for getting contracts signed. If she knows you won't let people walk all over you, she'll either find a new doormat or get it together. Either way in the long run you win. Give her a contract- if she doesn't want to sign she needs to move on.
Tags:contract
Reply Up