Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do parents walk in or knock at your home daycare?
Walk in 46 53.49%
Knock first 40 46.51%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Parents Knock or Walk Right In?
AnneCordelia 06:03 AM 08-01-2012
Do you allow parents to walk right in when they drop off and pick up? Or do prefer a knock at the door?
AnneCordelia 06:07 AM 08-01-2012
I vented on a nondaycare friends forum about clients please knocking first and not just letting themselves in. A few friends said, "We have always just walked in." and I wonder what the majority of home providers prefer.
Breezy 06:15 AM 08-01-2012
I always have the door locked and I open it in the morning for each family. I dont have very many families though
SilverSabre25 06:19 AM 08-01-2012
I can't vote as I don't really have a preference!

In the morning families knock and wait for me to answer the door but in the afternoon they can come right in. One knocks and then enters and the other just comes in.
Creek 06:22 AM 08-01-2012
All but one of my families knocks then comes in. It doesn't bother me either way. Our play room is just around the corner from that door. Daycare has it's own door, own closet, own bathroom, etc. If the door is locked because it often is then they knock and I go answer it.
Crazy8 06:28 AM 08-01-2012
kind of a combination - the screen door is almost always locked - but I will leave it unlocked when I know someone is due any minute. Some just walk right in, most give a quick knock and then walk in, they don't wait for me to answer.
sharlan 06:41 AM 08-01-2012
It depends on the family. I have two families that I've given the door code to, and two families that I don't intend on ever giving the code to.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 08-01-2012
I prefer my parents to just walk in. My coat/cubbie room is separated from my main area by a door so I don't feel that is at all dangerous for the kids. I honestly do not want to get up an answer the door every time someone knocks.

I have a video camera too and a drive way alarm so I am well aware of who is here long before they even get to the door.

If I did daycare in my own home, I may have a different preference and prefer the parents to knock. I don't know, but I can completely understand that theory for those who do this in their own homes. I would feel awkward just having people walk into my home.
Country Kids 06:53 AM 08-01-2012
They just walk on in. Its a family childcare and I want them to feel like family. Also, I really don't have time to get up and down to get the door everytime a parent arrives.

Especially if they were to arrive like 30 sec. or a min. apart which some seem to do.
texascare 07:09 AM 08-01-2012
My set up is right in the front of my house so most just walk in and pick up and leave. If they knock the dogs start barking so I just tell them they can walk in. I do have a house alarm so i hear a chime when a door opens if I am not in the room. (taking a diaper out etc) I can also see when each parent pulls up.
juliebug 07:45 AM 08-01-2012
Just walk in but I want it that way and tell them to walk in. Also I do care out of my living room that looks over my drive way and see them coming also the kids can't get to the dot and with 2 babies I can't always get up to answer the door
littlemissmuffet 08:37 AM 08-01-2012
Knock (to warn me someone is here - I am deaf in one ear) and then walk right in. I never go to the door and let parents in.
youretooloud 08:42 AM 08-01-2012
I have dogs, so I don't want people ringing the bell or knocking, because I don't want to listen to the dogs bark.

I unlock the door before the first kid, lock it after the last kid, then TRY to remember to unlock it again at 3:00. If it's locked, they have to ring the bell. But, sometimes, bless their hearts, they call me on their cell phones from outside my door.
CrayolaKids 08:55 AM 08-01-2012
I voted 'Walk in' however most will knock quick and then open the door. I tell them before they start though, to just walk right in. I live in a raised ranch style house, so when you walk in there are two sets of stairs (one goes down, one goes up) and then I have a locked baby gate at the top of the stairs. I also have two dogs who go nuts when they hear someone knock loudly or ring the doorbell, and usually the kids do as well. I would love to buy the driveway alarm off of amazon so I know ahead of time when the parents are here.
MizzCheryl 09:21 AM 08-01-2012
I ask mine to just come on in, I have a sliding glass door so I can see them.
brookeroo 10:02 AM 08-01-2012
I like them to walk in because I have a lot of littles. I don't want someone waking them up. Plus there are too many times feeding babies or since I have some dropping off or picking up at odd times I sometimes am upstairs putting kids down or getting them up. I have two that I am sometimes outside with as well. It doesn't do any good to knock on the front door if we are in the backyard and it's a pain to walk around the house to the gate.

The only time I hate it is if I don't hear them come in and they sneak up on me. I've seriously considered getting a driveway alarm.
JennyBear 10:09 AM 08-01-2012
All of my families just walk in (I only have a handful of families). I make it very clear that I unlock my door when I open and lock it after daycare hours. I'm really fortunate that my families are very consistent with their drop off/pick up times (actually, they are like clockwork) so I know when to expect everyone anyway.
I want everyone to feel comfortable and just walk in. If I ever had a really bad experience though that might change
My3cents 10:15 AM 08-01-2012
both. need a both button
mema 11:15 AM 08-01-2012
Most of mine knock first and then walk in. If they are late dropping off or early picking up though, they will have to knock and wait. Usually I hear the dog walk over to the door and wait so I know someone is here. We are downstairs and I don't like having to go up and answer it and then back down to get the child only to have to go back up again.
mac60 11:40 AM 08-01-2012
I prefer them to knock or ring the bell first then walk in, but it is a hard concept for them to grasp and understand because most refuse to do it. It doesn't matter how many times I mention it in a note, they never do it.
Meeko 01:18 PM 08-01-2012
Nobody except my direct family gets to just walk in to my home or my daycare house (which is my son's home)

I have too many kids with custody problems to allow a non-custodial parent to just walk in. And I sure don't want folks from off the street entering.

A day care parent is NOT family and they don't get the same rights.

If you're not related to me, you wait until you're invited in. After that....I'm the friendliest person on the planet......but my home(s) will be respected as my private property.
spud912 02:26 PM 08-01-2012
The house is our home first and business second. Everyone knocks and I unlock and open the door. The parents can visit anytime, but there is entirely way too much risk (in my opinion) with leaving the door unlocked .
PitterPatter 02:54 PM 08-01-2012
I have had a few parents just walk in even after being told not to do so. I keep my door locked at all times so now they can't do it anymore. This is our home and I do have a child of my own. It's a shame too I used to enjoy that fresh morning breeze coming in the front door but after a couple early arrivals walk in and roam your house (once while I was in the restroom) that was enough for me. What's worse is when a parent has the gull to ask WHY the door is locked like this is a business down town.
KEG123 02:57 PM 08-01-2012
My doors are kept locked, so they have to knock. Even though this is daycare, it is still my home.
KayB 03:41 PM 08-01-2012
I have to agree with Meeko and Spud. I too keep my doors locked. A couple of years ago The sheriffs were on foot chasing someone in our neighborhood..had the helicopters going and all kinds of squad cars all over. The guy ran into my next door neighbors yard who also has a daycare and they were in the back yard at the time!! The guy was trying to find a place to hide and the kids seen it all! Her backyard was filled with cops and sheriffs with guns out!! So ever since then I lock my doors and I tell the parents the story and they understand. I do not like living in fear but when I have 7 other lives to think about I will take every precaution I can!
daycarediva 03:46 PM 08-01-2012
Walk in. I leave the doors locked, and unlock for my parents scheduled pick up time. Arrive earlier or later and you have to knock.
Country Kids 03:49 PM 08-01-2012
We had a child kidnapped from a childcare one time. The guy came in and beat up the provider and took the a little girl. The story has been aired several times on 20/20, 48 hours etc. Our freeway was closed down while they chased the guy down. He flipped the car and they had a sharpshooter shoot him so he would release the little girl. I can't remember if he died or was just wounded.
justgettingstarted 05:26 PM 08-01-2012
It would never have occurred to me to let people just walk into my home. Every parent knocks every time and the door is locked as soon as it is closed. Funny this was posted today though. I had a new dcg start today and when dad picked up he just walked right in. I was a little shocked. Another parent had just picked up and apparently I forgot to lock the door. I'm just glad none of the kids were right behind the door he would have hit them! I also have a couple of twos that like to open the door themselves so I have another lock up high that they can't reach. I would be scared to run to the bathroom or put the baby down for a nap if the door were unlocked.
lovemykidstoo 03:58 PM 09-07-2012
This is ironic that i just stumbled upon this thread. That's the problem I had with my new dcm this past week. I have only met her once and she keeps just walking in without even so much as a knock. Like someone said above, this is my home first and business second. I normally lock my door, but my kids have started school this week and when they left for the bus I'm not in the habit of locking it behind them. I will be better prepared next week. I just think it's respectful to at a minimum knock, but preferably, wait for me to let them in.
daycare 04:01 PM 09-07-2012
i voted knock.

I have a large license in home daycare. In CA it is a fire law that your front door must have an emergency egress door handle. Basically this means that it is always able to open from the inside, but is always locked on the outside. So my front door is always locked, I don't have a choice.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:07 PM 09-07-2012
My parents come in directly to the playroom through the sliding glass door. Some parents wait until they see me. Some walk in. My playroom door can be hard to open so sometimes I have to open it! I can see the carport and the playroom door from my kitchen so I generally see everything. I also have 3 dogs that inform me of parents.
momma2girls 05:37 PM 09-07-2012
I think it is considerate to knock before you come barging in. I have this in my contract.
makap 05:49 PM 09-07-2012
Every single one of my parents walk in. They are told at the first interview to do so.
lovemykidstoo 06:14 PM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I think it is considerate to knock before you come barging in. I have this in my contract.
I think so too. My parents have to come through my kitchen, dining room and laundry room until they hit the daycare rooms, so for them to just walk in and wander around is a bit much IMO. I don't think it's alot to ask for them to knock and have me let them in. I was telling my friend about my new mom that after 1 time meeting her she just walks in, she said that we've known each other for 40 years and she has the respect not to just walk in my house and I do the same at hers. It's not about being friendly/not friendly it's just plain respect. I am in no way saying that it's bad if you do want your parents to just walk in, just saying that I prefer them not to since they have to go so far into my house before I would see them.
Provider_Manda 06:18 PM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I always have the door locked and I open it in the morning for each family. I dont have very many families though
I too always have my door's locked and let each family in. I feel safer that way !! Please I don't want someone just to walk right in on me lol
familyschoolcare 06:21 PM 09-07-2012
My door is locked it says so in my contract. I do have one parent that knocks and then checks to see if the door is locked. I can tell because the door nob moves just before I open it.
SunnyDay 07:17 PM 09-07-2012
They all knock.
EMC2 09:54 PM 09-07-2012
I put knock first because that's the only choice - our doors are locked.
kendallina 04:47 AM 09-08-2012
They walk right in. But, that's because I run a preschool, so everybody drops off and picks up at the same time. If I ran an all-day childcare where everyone arrived at a different time, the door would be locked and they would have to knock.
Rachel 03:32 AM 09-09-2012
We have to leave our door locked, so they knock, but even if it's opened sometimes (shhh, don't tell) I have never had a parent walk in without knocking (I have had MY children open the door so I was surprised by a parent).
dave4him 07:27 AM 09-09-2012
I keep the door locked, if i see a parent outside i will unlock it, but otherwise i dont need people just walking into my house.
providerandmomof4 01:48 PM 09-09-2012
I've had both but I really prefer a knock...although sometimes I don't hear it.
Once, my babies were sleeping so I was vacuuming up fresh muddy paw prints from the carpet, when a dcd scared me to death. He was just standing behind me when I turned off the vacuum and I about died. I don't like that, I mean..how long had he been there? I should lock the door more but my grown kids are in and out several times throughout the day.
Sunshine74 08:33 PM 09-09-2012
I work at a center. The door is locked at all times, and we have a doorbell and an intercom. We have door releases in three different rooms with views of the front door so they can let parents in without having to leave the room.
Tags:locked doors, poll
Reply Up