Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Scheduled Days Are You Taking Off For 2013?
daycarediva 11:24 AM 01-02-2013
Give me some ideas. I only get 10 days, and I try to leave 1-2 for emergency/sick days.
MarinaVanessa 02:15 PM 01-02-2013
These are the Holidays that I take off PAID:

 MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. DAY – Monday January 21st , 2013
 PRESIDENT’S DAY – Monday February 18th, 2013
 MEMORIAL DAY – Monday May 27th, 2013
 INDEPENDENCE DAY – Thursday July 4th, 2013
 LABOR DAY – Monday September 2nd, 2013
 THANKSGIVING DAY – Thursday November 28th, 2013
 DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING – Friday November 29th, 2013
 CHRISTMAS EVE – Tuesday December 23rd, 2013
 CHRISTMAS DAY – Wednesday December 25th, 2013
 NEW YEAR’S EVE – Tuesday December 31st, 2013
 NEW YEAR’S DAY – Wednesday January 1st, 2014

There are 11 total. Last year I also included 5 PAID sick/personal days and 5 PAID days for vacation. I only used the holidays (ended up not closing for some) and my one week paid vacation.

This year I'm taking the listed holidays off and decided to charge clients when they don't come for any reason (not give them a week free or half off for vacation) and not charge when I close for any reason (including vacation).
Willow 03:08 PM 01-02-2013
New Year’s Day
Memorial Day
July 4th
Labor Day as well as the Friday before
Thanksgiving Day as well as the Friday after
Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.
If a holiday falls on a Saturday, I close the previous Friday,
If a holiday falls on a Sunday, I close the following Monday.

I am flirting with taking December 21st-January 1st off again as that's what I did this year and LOVED it. The holidays were so much less stressful and I was happy to have that time off when my kids were out of school. They appreciated being able to be home in peace and quiet too.
MNMum 03:23 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
This year I'm taking the listed holidays off and decided to charge clients when they don't come for any reason (not give them a week free or half off for vacation) and not charge when I close for any reason (including vacation).
I'll probably move to this in 2014. I'm tired of people questioning how I do it. ("Oh you have sick days?", "Oh, I have to pay if I keep my kid home?" "Oh, you get paid for Xmas, even though you don't have any kids there?" Haven't worked up the backbone yet, but I'm pretty sure I will be saying the following to her with the next question - "Oh, your boss pays you when you are at home sick?" "Oh, your boss pays you for Xmas?")

I'll make it real easy for them. You sign up, you pay every week of the year - regardless of attendance.

I take President's Day, Memorial Day, Independance Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Xmas Eve and Day, New Years Eve and Day. I'm not open on Fridays so I don't need to take Friday after Thanksgiving off - otherwise I would. Right now I can take two weeks UNPAID VACA, and parents can choose 1 week UNPAID VACA. I feel there free week going away, too, in 2014. I will probably not make them pay for my VACA.
momofboys 03:37 PM 01-02-2013
MLK Day, President's Day, 3 vacation days over our school's spring break (April 1-3), Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving & day after, December 24-27. I am closed over the majority of the summer (teacher's families) otherwise I would claim July 4th too.
Unregistered 03:56 PM 01-02-2013
President’s Day – Monday, February 18
Memorial Day – Monday, May 27
4th of July – Thursday, July 4
Labor Day – Monday, September 2
Thanksgiving – Thursday/Friday, November 28 & 29
Christmas – Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, December 24, 25 & 26

I'm thinking about taking December 27th off too this year. Does this sound reasonable?

I do not close down any other time during the year. If I want to take vacation I just use my backup assistants to run the daycare.

All my holidays are paid which are only a total of 10 days.

What do you think of my plan?

L
LaLa1923 04:34 PM 01-02-2013

There are 11 total. Last year I also included 5 PAID sick/personal days and 5 PAID days for vacation. I only used the holidays (ended up not closing for some) and my one week paid vacation.

Just curious, why aren't you charging for your time off?
Country Kids 04:54 PM 01-02-2013

Up above you said you are taking those days off paid but at the end you say you aren't going to charge when you close for any reason. I guess I'm confused how you get paid holidays but not when you take other time off. What was the reaction from your parents with this? Also, what made you decide to do this?

If I close for anything-holidays, sickness, vacation, etc. I don't charge. I feel it would be confusing for parents if I charged for some things and not others. Also, do you consider the day after Thanksgiving holiday pay or just paid.
TBird 05:07 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Up above you said you are taking those days off paid but at the end you say you aren't going to charge when you close for any reason. I guess I'm confused how you get paid holidays but not when you take other time off. What was the reaction from your parents with this? Also, what made you decide to do this?

If I close for anything-holidays, sickness, vacation, etc. I don't charge. I feel it would be confusing for parents if I charged for some things and not others. Also, do you consider the day after Thanksgiving holiday pay or just paid.
If this helps....I'm taking...
- Good Friday (Paid)
- Easter Monday (Paid)
- Memorial Day (Paid)
- One Week Summer Break in July (Unpaid)
- Labor Day (Paid)
- Thanksgiving (Paid)
- Day After Thanksgiving (Paid)
- One Week Winter Break (Unpaid)
- 3 Sick Days & 3 Paid Personal Days (Paid)

Parents pay me for their vacations (to reserve their spots in care) but I don't charge for my own 2 to 3 week vacations because I believe in the fact that they will have to pay for alternate care. They also pay when their kids are sick & can't attend. That's just the way I do things and no parent has EVER questioned my policies. This is MY BUSINESS & I make the rules as I see fit. Unless it's something new, if there are any serious questions Lord knows they should have asked me before signing my contract.
MarinaVanessa 05:27 PM 01-02-2013
In response to both Lala and CountryKids:

I am not charging for taking them off because I rarely take additional time off other than 5 days in July for vacation and the holidays that I close with pay. Years before I gave one week "free" to my clients which the majority of them would use when I was on vacation anyway (which I allowed) and so in a way I wasn't getting "paid" for that week anyway. Any other time that my clients would take off they paid full price anyway.

Even though I reserved 5 extra sick/personal days off I never used them because I never needed to. I am lucky enough to hardly ever get sick and when I or my children get sick my DH has the awesome liberty of taking time off of work to help care for them upstairs (he is salary) and it does not affect us. He does however work TONS of extra hours and has worked holidays like Christmas and overnight's etc so his bosses never give him a tough time (he works as an IT supervisor for the DA's office).

I also have a friend, my sister and my mom that enjoy helping me out so it allows me a lot of flexibility. I prefer not to close if I can help it.

As for the paid Holidays, most of my clients get these holidays off anyway and never bring their kids to DC even when I am open so it's no big deal for them. I wasn't celebrating New Year's Eve so I chose to stay open Mon & Tues but none of my clients brought their kids either day.

My policies say that there are holidays that I close with pay and any additional days that the daycare is closed are not charged and my attendance section says that their rates are based on enrollment not on attendance so therefore any days that a child is absent (due to illness, Dr appointments, vacations etc.) are not discounted so it's not confusing at all.

I just handed out my new switch in mid December and none of my families questioned it. I gave them until January 1st to sign the new contracts and I had them all within 3 days of handing them out. I just recently signed 2 new clients (infants) that are due to start next week because I have 2 clients that phased out and they both really liked that other than for the paid Holidays I don't charge when I close ... it's appealing to them because the norm around here is to charge for Holidays, sick days and vacations BUT they don't realize yet that I hardly ever close .

Oh and The day after Thanksgiving AND Christmas Eve are both paid. I also observe holidays so if they fall on a weekend I take them off on the Friday before or Monday after but i have been known to choose not to close after all (with advance notice) so In a way it's a good perk for clients and it's really not a big deal to me BUT I get along very well with my current clients and I'm EXTREMELY flexible as long as I'm not taken advantage of so I don't mind going an extra mile.
Country Kids 05:32 PM 01-02-2013
I charge if they are gone for any reason. Learned that years ago when I was loosing money on college students and teachers.

I don't charge though if I take time off including holidays. Most of my parents have that time off also and I figure its a bonus perk to them. Overall I take about 1 month off through the entire year (10 holidays/10 vacation days/5 personal/sick days).

They all appreciate the fact I don't charge them for my time off and totally understand why I charge when they aren't here. From time to time there may be a slight issue with something but overall I have the best parents ever!!!
jenn 06:24 PM 01-02-2013
Memorial Day – Monday, May 27
4th of July – Thursday, July 4 & Friday, July 5 (I normally would not take the
5th but since it is on a Friday, it makes a 4 day weekend!)
Labor Day – Monday, September 2
Thanksgiving – Thursday, November 28 & Friday, November 29
Christmas – Tuesday-Friday, December 24-27

I do not charge for the days listed above. I have a family member and another friend that sub for me if I need to be gone for any reason or if I or my child is sick.

I also give each family 12 free days to use for the first 12 days they are absent due to sickness, vacation, or whatever. I do this because I am really, really picky about sick kids not coming. I feel like they are more likely to keep them home if they don't have to pay and I don't feel guilty making them stay home for minor things.
Unregistered 09:48 PM 01-02-2013
Paid Holidays

New Years Eve (Dec 31, 2013)
New Years Day (Tuesday Jan 1 2013)
MLK Day (Monday Jan 21 2013)
Presidents Day (Monday Feb 18 2013)
Easter Holiday (Monday April 1 2013)
Memorial Day (Monday May 27 2013)
Independence Day (Thursday July 4 and Friday July 5 2013)
Labor Day (Monday Sept 2 2013)
Columbus Day (Monday Oct 14 2013)
Veterans Day (Monday Nov 11 2013)
Thanksgiving Holiday (Wednesday thru Friday Nov 27,28 and 29 2013)
Christmas Holiday (Dec 23-Dec 27)

​I will take two weeks (10 working days) of paid vacation during the year in which I will provide at least one months notice of the scheduled vacation dates. You will be responsible for full payments during this time.

5 days of paid continuing education (to participate in educational conferences, classes etc.).

​Illness is a part of any workplace, I will do my best to stay healthy, however, if I am too ill to care for the children (or should any of my own children become ill) I will reserve the right to use one of five (5) paid sick days per year (any sick days in excess of 5 will not need to be paid).

Parent Vacations
I require at least 2 weeks’ notice in advance when you plan to take vacations. During parent vacations you are still required to pay all of your tuition for all days and hours your child is normally scheduled to be here. Payment is due prior to your vacation. Even while you are on vacation I am still holding your child’s space.
Parent Vacation Forms are available upon request. I ask all families please fill out the form as soon as they know they will be going on vacation.

I took only 3 sick days in 2012 and have yet to take any continuing Ed days (as most classes I attend are offered on the weekends)
Angelsj 05:07 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I'll probably move to this in 2014. I'm tired of people questioning how I do it. ("Oh you have sick days?", "Oh, I have to pay if I keep my kid home?" "Oh, you get paid for Xmas, even though you don't have any kids there?" Haven't worked up the backbone yet, but I'm pretty sure I will be saying the following to her with the next question - "Oh, your boss pays you when you are at home sick?" "Oh, your boss pays you for Xmas?")

I'll make it real easy for them. You sign up, you pay every week of the year - regardless of attendance.

I take President's Day, Memorial Day, Independance Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Xmas Eve and Day, New Years Eve and Day. I'm not open on Fridays so I don't need to take Friday after Thanksgiving off - otherwise I would. Right now I can take two weeks UNPAID VACA, and parents can choose 1 week UNPAID VACA. I feel there free week going away, too, in 2014. I will probably not make them pay for my VACA.
The thing is you are running your own business. They are NOT your boss.
I honestly don't understand how everyone believes this is fair. I cannot imagine any other business (self employment) that does this.
Can you imagine a restaurant that says, "We are closed on Christmas, but if you WOULD have eaten here that day, you need to pay us the regular price of our meals. Of course, you need to eat elsewhere."
Or a self employed car repair. "You need to pay us the regular price for your oil change, but we are closed today, so you will also need to get someone else to change your oil and pay them, or do it yourself."
I can only think that people are so desperate for child care, they agree to things that may not really be acceptable to them. More power to you all I suppose that you can pull this off, but I just can't do it with a clear conscience.
LaLa1923 05:31 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I honestly don't understand how everyone believes this is fair. I cannot imagine any other business (self employment) that does this.
Can you imagine a restaurant that says, "We are closed on Christmas, but if you WOULD have eaten here that day, you need to pay us the regular price of our meals. Of course, you need to eat elsewhere."
Or a self employed car repair. "You need to pay us the regular price for your oil change, but we are closed today, so you will also need to get someone else to change your oil and pay them, or do it yourself."
I can only think that people are so desperate for child care, they agree to things that may not really be acceptable to them. More power to you all I suppose that you can pull this off, but I just can't do it with a clear conscience.
Which days are you closed? I'm sorry but you are comparing apples to oranges. The families are paying for a membership so to speak, like at a gym or Costco. You still pay even if you don't shop that day or work out. If they are closed you still have to pay. Same for banks, Bank of America now charges to use the teller. Your fee is the same very month, even if they are closed for holidays.....l am the boss of my business, just like everyone else. We get to choose ......
Willow 06:09 AM 01-03-2013

I am with you. Believe me.

But it's really not a point worth arguing. People feel how they feel about it and there really isn't going to be any swaying of feelings or understanding to be gained.

You either have it in you to charge like that, or you don't. For some it's an ethical decision, for others a logical one (I LOVE Tom Copelands take on this topic). In the end as long as you yourself are ok with your decision that's all that matters.

If parents don't like it though I do wish they would seek care elsewhere as not every provider is the same by a long shot. It always makes me sad to hear really disgruntled parents talk about feeling bent over......I don't blame them for anything other than staying if that's how they truly feel.
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 01-03-2013
I understand where you are coming from but there has to be some compromise here.

We aren't a restaurant or a garage for car repairs. We care for other people's children so they can make a living and pay their bills. It is can be a super stressful job...one that should have mental health days built into it in order to ensure that your caregiver remains mentally, physically and emotionally healthy.

Restaurant servers work specific shifts with breaks. Car repair places have standard hours, rarely are they open 10, 11 or 12 hours or more a day. They have times and days to recoup and recovery from a stressful shift. I have also never call my car mechanic or my waitress after hours to ask a question about a menu item or a service repair bill. I have never eaten my food and then only paid for half or tried to negotiate fees or costs I already agreed to pay. I have never brought my car in to have the oil changed while the tires are flat and then expected the mechanic to simply deal with it. kwim?

Child care is a business where EVERYTHING is dependent on the well being (physically, emotionally and mentally) of the caregiver.

I do take PAID vacation time and a couple paid holidays but I also give parents a certain number of free days to use at their discretion to kind of balance it out.

But I can't just not charge whenever someone isn't scheduled or decides at the last minute the grandma Peggy will watch their child for free. I can't take another customer on such short notice like a car repair shop or restaurant can.

Parents have to pay for some of that "availability" whether they use it or not.

I can't care for children if I am constantly stressed and worried about my budget and income. It just isn't feasible unless you have a second income or spouse who brings home a secure paycheck. Not everyone has that.

Parents might very well sign on for things they really don't agree with an end up paying for vacations and holidays even if they don't think it is fair but in my area, that isn't for lack of daycares available as there is one on every block, but I do think that still falls on the parent.

If they can't afford it or really don't agree with it then figure it out. Stop blaming child cares who do charge for sick days. If you have a child and it is that important to you to not pay those closed days, then find a care provider who doesn't charge, stay home and watch your own child, find a relative or friend to do it cheaper. There really is no excuse.

I am NOT forcing anyone to sign on and pay my holidays or vacation days. I offer X. Buy it or move along. I don't mind either way but I will continue to charge for some of the holidays I am closed and my vacations. When I come back, I am happier, healthier and a lot more peppier about my job. Parents all understand that I too need mental health days without the stress of worrying if my light bill will get paid this month.

I think that the number one thing for everyone, BOTH providers and parents to remember is it is all about communication and taking responsibility for our own choices.

I can't complain if I didn't charge a parent but wanted to and a parent can't complain if they agreed to it but doesn't want to. kwim?

For those providers who don't charge for any holidays and/or closed days, and it works for them. Great! I am NOT dissing them for it. I respect them for doing whatever works for them. I guess I expect the same.
Angelsj 06:51 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
Which days are you closed? I'm sorry but you are comparing apples to oranges. The families are paying for a membership so to speak, like at a gym or Costco. You still pay even if you don't shop that day or work out. If they are closed you still have to pay. Same for banks, Bank of America now charges to use the teller. Your fee is the same very month, even if they are closed for holidays.....l am the boss of my business, just like everyone else. We get to choose ......
True, you get to choose, and if you can get people to pay it, go for it. But this is not a gym membership. If the gym is closed you don't have to pay another gym. If a parent needs to work and you are closed, they must pay another caretaker.
Angelsj 06:54 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I am with you. Believe me.

But it's really not a point worth arguing. People feel how they feel about it and there really isn't going to be any swaying of feelings or understanding to be gained.

You either have it in you to charge like that, or you don't. For some it's an ethical decision, for others a logical one (I LOVE Tom Copelands take on this topic). In the end as long as you yourself are ok with your decision that's all that matters.

If parents don't like it though I do wish they would seek care elsewhere as not every provider is the same by a long shot. It always makes me sad to hear really disgruntled parents talk about feeling bent over......I don't blame them for anything other than staying if that's how they truly feel.
Exactly. I get so many parents, and they go on and on about how they felt screwed over, like they had no choice, and some of the questions they ask...goodness.

I wasn't really trying to sway anyone, just pointing out that not everyone does this. It is, of course, everyone's choice to run their business as they choose. I just can't do that.
Angelsj 07:00 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I understand where you are coming from but there has to be some compromise here.

We aren't a restaurant or a garage for car repairs. We care for other people's children so they can make a living and pay their bills. It is can be a super stressful job...one that should have mental health days built into it in order to ensure that your caregiver remains mentally, physically and emotionally healthy.

Restaurant servers work specific shifts with breaks. Car repair places have standard hours, rarely are they open 10, 11 or 12 hours or more a day. They have times and days to recoup and recovery from a stressful shift. I have also never call my car mechanic or my waitress after hours to ask a question about a menu item or a service repair bill. I have never eaten my food and then only paid for half or tried to negotiate fees or costs I already agreed to pay. I have never brought my car in to have the oil changed while the tires are flat and then expected the mechanic to simply deal with it. kwim?

Child care is a business where EVERYTHING is dependent on the well being (physically, emotionally and mentally) of the caregiver.

I do take PAID vacation time and a couple paid holidays but I also give parents a certain number of free days to use at their discretion to kind of balance it out.

But I can't just not charge whenever someone isn't scheduled or decides at the last minute the grandma Peggy will watch their child for free. I can't take another customer on such short notice like a car repair shop or restaurant can.

I can't care for children if I am constantly stressed and worried about my budget and income. It just isn't feasible unless you have a second income or spouse who brings home a secure paycheck. Not everyone has that.

Parents might very well sign on for things they really don't agree with an end up paying for vacations and holidays even if they don't think it is fair but in my area, that isn't for lack of daycares available as there is one on every block, but I do think that still falls on the parent.

If they can't afford it or really don't agree with it then figure it out. Stop blaming child cares who do charge for sick days. If you have a child and it is that important to you to not pay those closed days, then find a care provider who doesn't charge, stay home and watch your own child, find a relative or friend to do it cheaper. There really is no excuse.

I am NOT forcing anyone to sign on and pay my holidays or vacation days. I offer X. Buy it or move along. I don't mind either way but I will continue to charge for some of the holidays I am closed and my vacations. When I come back, I am happier, healthier and a lot more peppier about my job. Parents all understand that I too need mental health days without the stress of worrying if my light bill will get paid this month.

I think that the number one thing for everyone, BOTH providers and parents to remember is it is all about communication and taking responsibility for our own choices.

I can't complain if I didn't charge a parent but wanted to and a parent can't complain if they agreed to it but doesn't want to. kwim?

For those providers who don't charge for any holidays and/or closed days, and it works for them. Great! I am NOT dissing them for it. I respect them for doing whatever works for them. I guess I expect the same.
Every business has its ups and downs. I am sure waitresses and car mechanics could tell you some doozies, though in this case it would be the restaurant owner, and they DO get after hours calls, and a variety of headaches.
I understand the headaches this business has, and I cannot deny that the mental well being of the provider is important. But like any business, it is the OWNER's responsibility to handle that. If you choose to do so by charging for times the children are not there, I am not dissing you. That is your choice. But I can't do that. I just wanted it out there that not everyone does this. It doesn't HAVE to be that way.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 01-03-2013
Every business has its ups and downs. I am sure waitresses and car mechanics could tell you some doozies, though in this case it would be the restaurant owner, and they DO get after hours calls, and a variety of headaches.
I understand the headaches this business has, and I cannot deny that the mental well being of the provider is important. But like any business, it is the OWNER's responsibility to handle that. If you choose to do so by charging for times the children are not there, I am not dissing you. That is your choice. But I can't do that. I just wanted it out there that not everyone does this. It doesn't HAVE to be that way.
I know. It takes ALL of us to do this and it is important to make sure parents (as well as providers) know there ARE choices and there are so many different providers out there that no one should ever have to be in a situation where either party is uncomfortable or unhappy with the agreement they have together.

I didn't charge for the first 10-13 years I was in business. I do it now and I do it for reasons that I didn't have or couldn't use back then.

It works for me now, but who knows what my situation will be next year or even farther down the road.
LaLa1923 07:33 AM 01-03-2013
True, you get to choose, and if you can get people to pay it, go for it. But this is not a gym membership. If the gym is closed you don't have to pay another gym. If a parent needs to work and you are closed, they must pay another caretaker.
No, they don't have to pay. They should always have a backup sitter. Most families have family or a teen they know
Willow 08:20 AM 01-03-2013
They should always have a backup sitter. Most families have family or a teen they know

In a perfect world that would be true.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

"Most" is a giant and often times incorrect assumption.......

One of my three families don't have any family in the area and we live rurally in a very small town. Another has her mother, but she's got muscular dystrophy and is physically incapable of taking care of her two young grandchildren even though I'm sure she'd give anything to be able to. The last has her mother too, but she's got stage 3 lung cancer and while undergoing chemo cannot take the kids on their sick days as it would literally endanger her life. None of their siblings live anywhere near here. The closest is a good 45 minutes away. There are less than a handful of providers in my area and they're all full.

If I close, or my daycare kids are sick it means my parents are taking off of work to stay home. Only one dad gets PTO but his days are incredibly limited. That's not some negligence on their part, it just is what it is. They can't simply create people who don't exist purely for my or their own convenience.

I'm not sure why people feel they have to inject if they're getting paid for holidays when a question like this is posed and then proceed to question if someone shares they don't do the same. Happens every single time without fail. That's not at all what the OP was asking for or intended this thread to be about.
LaLa1923 09:17 AM 01-03-2013

One of my three families don't have any family in the area and we live rurally in a very small town. Another has her mother, but she's got muscular dystrophy and is physically incapable of taking care of her two young grandchildren even though I'm sure she'd give anything to be able to. The last has her mother too, but she's got stage 3 lung cancer and while undergoing chemo cannot take the kids on their sick days as it would literally endanger her life. None of their siblings live anywhere near here. The closest is a good 45 minutes away. There are less than a handful of providers in my area and they're all full.

If I close, or my daycare kids are sick it means my parents are taking off of work to stay home. Only one dad gets PTO but his days are incredibly limited. That's not some negligence on their part, it just is what it is. They can't simply create people who don't exist purely for my or their own convenience.

I'm not sure why people feel they have to inject if they're getting paid for holidays when a question like this is posed and then proceed to question if someone shares they don't do the same. Happens every single time without fail. That's not at all what the OP was asking for or intended this thread to be about.
People often give their take on situations that weren't asked by an op. Happened in my post too. There are several who went that route here, I certainly wasn't the first. I like hearing other sides.
I live in an area where there are a lot of providers and family. I guess it all depends on where you live too.
Play Care 09:33 AM 01-03-2013
And to get back on track

New Year's Day (unpaid - part of my vacation time)
MLK Jr. Day PAID holiday
2/15 - 2/22 Vacation unpaid
Memorial Day (paid) I am taking an paid personal day the Friday before Memorial day
Last week in June unpaid vacation
Indpendence Day paid holiday
Labor Day paid holiday
Columbus Day Paid
Thanksgiving PAID
Black Friday unpaid
Christmas week(s) I always take a week off here unpaid. Typically it's longer than a week because I "pad" days - this year I was closed the Friday before Christmas and opened yesterday. I do it unpaid as it is a lot of time off and most parents will need to pay someone to watch their child. Most of my clients wind up paying me for the holidays that fall on that week anyway I don't charge for any of my vacations BUT I do charge a couple bucks "extra" per child for tuition that goes into my vacation accounts. Actually winds up being more than if I did charge for vacation I do charge for holidays because all of my clients DO get those days off PAID. And I'll be honest in that I am very picky about the clients I do take on - I prefer government employees or teachers and that's pretty much who I have.

I give myself 3-5 paid sick/personal days per year. I found that having parents pay me for my sick time greatly cut down on the times they sent their kids in to me sick. Before the policy they would send them in, and then when I would get their plague they would take the day off (PAID) while I was out the money. So far the only planned day off is the Friday before Memorial Day. I'll probably be responsible and save the others in case I get sick
Crazy8 10:04 AM 01-03-2013
I get the following PAID holidays:

New Years Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
New Years Eve

That is 9 paid holidays per year (also get 1 wk paid vacation). I don't have a SINGLE parent - out of 10 of them - who doesn't have most/all of those days off - actually most get many MORE. I feel its a benefit I deserve for the job I do. Parents around here are not desperate for child care by any means, but they have no problem agreeing to the terms of my contract with those 9 holidays. They all see it as more than fair.
Angelsj 10:14 AM 01-03-2013
I know. It takes ALL of us to do this and it is important to make sure parents (as well as providers) know there ARE choices and there are so many different providers out there that no one should ever have to be in a situation where either party is uncomfortable or unhappy with the agreement they have together.

I didn't charge for the first 10-13 years I was in business. I do it now and I do it for reasons that I didn't have or couldn't use back then.

It works for me now, but who knows what my situation will be next year or even farther down the road.
Very true. And maybe one day, I will see the need to charge. One never knows .
daycarediva 10:18 AM 01-03-2013

I completely agree BC, and I don't want this to turn into a provider bashing thread. As Angel said, it is a business and we can run it as we see fit. The WONDERFUL thing about home child care is that if a parent doesn't agree, they CAN (usually) find someone else.

I take 10 paid days off per year. That averages out to less than 1 day/month. The days I take are days that my parents have off already.

3/29 Good Friday pd
7/4 Fourth of July pd
7/5 unpaid (this is in my contract that I take a long weekend over fourth of July)
10/31 closing at 4pm-prorated 1-2 hours of care
11/28 & 11/29 thanksgiving and day after pd
12/24-12-26 pd

So I took 6 paid days, and have 4 to use as needed. I am hoping (and listed this when I handed out my calendar for the year with days off) that I won't use them and can take the entire week of Christmas off paid. ALL of my daycare parents were off that week and ALL have said that they are off that week next year, too.
LaLa1923 10:26 AM 01-03-2013

People often give their take on situations that weren't asked by an op. Happened in my post too. There are several who went that route here, I certainly wasn't the first. I like hearing other sides.
I live in an area where there are a lot of providers and family. I guess it all depends on where you live too.
LaLa1923 10:27 AM 01-03-2013
I'm sorry this posted twice!!
momofboys 10:39 AM 01-03-2013
Very true. And maybe one day, I will see the need to charge. One never knows .
I have not read all the posts & while I see both sides I have to admit although I do not charge for time off (have been a provider now for @ 5 yrs) I am now getting to the point that I feel like I will be charging for paid holidays/time off - just curious have you been a provider for a long time or somewhat short timeframe? Sorry adding this - I guess my point is the longer I do this the more I realize how much I deserve a few paid days off. I didn't use to think that way
Angelsj 10:56 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I have not read all the posts & while I see both sides I have to admit although I do not charge for time off (have been a provider now for @ 5 yrs) I am now getting to the point that I feel like I will be charging for paid holidays/time off - just curious have you been a provider for a long time or somewhat short timeframe? Sorry adding this - I guess my point is the longer I do this the more I realize how much I deserve a few paid days off. I didn't use to think that way
I have been a provider for just over 30 years.
Angelsj 11:03 AM 01-03-2013
I think it depends on the situations involved as well. I have children who are picked up on a bus here or dropped off here. I have kids who are here only an hour at the beginning and end of the day, and over nighters. There are not really many providers locally that will take those kids, and only one of my families has local relatives.
If I am closed a LOT of people are affected. Not just the children, but parents, bus drivers, etc.
It is usually easier to provide back up care myself and continue to stay open. Since I pay the back up an hourly wage, I still make money. Not what I would make the other way, but it works.
MarinaVanessa 02:59 PM 01-03-2013
... But this is not a gym membership. If the gym is closed you don't have to pay another gym. ...
Sure you do, if you want to work out that is .

If my gym was closed for a holiday I don't get my fees prorated and if I still want to work out I can go to another gym that is opened and I have to pay their daily rate. Not all gyms close, not in my area anyway.

But you are absolutely right ... not everyone has to charge for days that they are closed and not everyone does. I used to charge for 11 holidays, 5 days of vacation and 5 days of sick/personal time. Granted I never took all of that time off but starting this year I now only charge for closed holidays.

I do what works for me and so do you and the rest of the providers. That's the beauty of this business and of being your own boss.

And just like I chose to sign up at the bigger gym that closes for most holidays that has a pool rather than the smaller gym that doesn't close (but closes a little earlier on holidays) and has no pool DCP's can read the contracts and policies and decide whether the daycare is the right fit or not.

What I don't get is that this information is clear and in our contracts ... why would someone that doesn't agree with this still sign it and then complain later about it?

There are plenty of providers out there that don't charge for days that close, all you have to do is keep looking. If a parent doesn't want to pay for days that the daycare is closed then they shouldn't have to or heck even for the days that their child doesn't attend for whatever reason ... even I offer drop-in child care ... the point is that each child care provider should run their daycare how they are comfortable and happy with and each family has to find the DC that is better suited for them.

And just like we as child care providers understand that not all parent's are perfect and not to expect everything from them parent's should also remember that no daycare will have the full wishlist of what they are looking for.
Angelsj 04:28 PM 01-03-2013
What I don't get is that this information is clear and in our contracts ... why would someone that doesn't agree with this still sign it and then complain later about it?
So true, right? Because no matter what you do (I have parents initial that they have read EACH PAGE individually) they still do NOT read it. So whenever you explain something to them they are in shock!! Mind boggling!
TBird 04:44 PM 01-03-2013

There are plenty of providers out there that don't charge for days that close, all you have to do is keep looking. If a parent doesn't want to pay for days that the daycare is closed then they shouldn't have to or heck even for the days that their child doesn't attend for whatever reason ... even I offer drop-in child care ... the point is that each child care provider should run their daycare how they are comfortable and happy with and each family has to find the DC that is better suited for them.
My point EXACTLY. If what I'm doing doesn't work for you...please continue in your childcare search. Everything is not for everybody. Don't come here & try to mold my entire business into your personal schedule. If my business hours are until 5:30, don't get here & try to make me stay open until 6:30. It's disrespectful to me, my assistant & the families that I already serve. Find what suits you...It's pretty simple.
daycare 04:56 PM 01-03-2013
The reason that I close for holidays is becuase I don't get paid by the state or food program on MOST of these days.

Due to budget cuts, the county program now has more furlough days and CLosed Unpaid holidays than before. I get to chose only 5 holidays to stay open with pay, if I open on the others, I don't get paid. So who wants to open, work and not get paid??

The food program also will not pay me, unless I have parents sign up and request care for a normally closed holiday.

California is broke and they are trying to find anyway possible to cut funds. Our public schools have even added furlough days throughout the year so that they can save money.

I take the same 11 Holidays off as MV and they are paid...

I take off 5 days of vacation each year paid

I can take off 3 days sick or emergency leave paid

All other days that I take off for personal reasons are unpaid.
Tags:holidays - off
Reply Up