Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Very Suspicious!

One of my daycare kids hasn't been feeling the greatest the past 2 days. Just a little cough and runny nose, no big deal! After nap time today she woke up and she had almost no voice and sounded horrible. I called mom and she came and picked her up right away to go to the doctor. She just texted me a few hours ago and said: it's an infection, no meds can be given to her. She will just have to ride it out. I asked her what kind of infection? Her response was an infection and the other kids will be fine, it won't spread to them. I have a huge feeling she isn't telling me what's really going on. Has anyone heard of an infection that makes your voice extremely hoarse? The only thing I know of is croup and laryngitis. Both are viruses.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Crazy8's Avatar
Crazy8 Crazy8 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,769
Default

can you require a dr note for dcg to come back??
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Sunshine75's Avatar
Sunshine75 Sunshine75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 108
Default

Ohhh....I had that a few weeks ago and one of my dcm's got it from me. If she has what I had it is bad. I would ask if they did a strep test and that it has to show as negative. Has she been running a temp? Watch for that. I got a temp. of 104. I actually almost had to be admitted to the hospital due to a super high white blood cell count and it WAS NOT strep. It was however a VIRUS that was contagious, obviously since my other dcm got it. All you can really do I guess is watch. I think most times if viral it will also be in conjunction with a temp but I'm not a nurse. Anyways, that is what's going around the state of MN.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One of my daycare kids hasn't been feeling the greatest the past 2 days. Just a little cough and runny nose, no big deal! After nap time today she woke up and she had almost no voice and sounded horrible. I called mom and she came and picked her up right away to go to the doctor. She just texted me a few hours ago and said: it's an infection, no meds can be given to her. She will just have to ride it out. I asked her what kind of infection? Her response was an infection and the other kids will be fine, it won't spread to them. I have a huge feeling she isn't telling me what's really going on. Has anyone heard of an infection that makes your voice extremely hoarse? The only thing I know of is croup and laryngitis. Both are viruses.
I'd recommend following your illness policy. It doesn't matter if a virus or bacteria is causing it, if they meet exclusion, send them home.

If you require a doctors note, then follow through with it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Sunshine75's Avatar
Sunshine75 Sunshine75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 108
Smile

Yes, follow your policy. With my policy they have to have a temperature and I will accept someone who simply has a sore throat from a cold as you said she has had a runny nose, etc. Whatever your policy states that is your ground to stand on when it comes to how you handle this situation.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

And if you need help putting one together, let us know... We will help!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

Just to point something out...croup and laryngitis are not caused by specific viruses. They are both more a side effect of a regular cold, aka rhinovirus. The COLD is contagious, but will not usually result in croup and/or laryngitis for everyone, or even anyone else. Most likely, while the cold may spread, no one else would get croup or laryngitis. Some people are more prone to those, of course, and there are some studies that suggest a connection between recurrent croup as a child and laryngitis as an adult.
__________________
Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
Just to point something out...croup and laryngitis are not caused by specific viruses. They are both more a side effect of a regular cold, aka rhinovirus. The COLD is contagious, but will not usually result in croup and/or laryngitis for everyone, or even anyone else. Most likely, while the cold may spread, no one else would get croup or laryngitis. Some people are more prone to those, of course, and there are some studies that suggest a connection between recurrent croup as a child and laryngitis as an adult.
Wow! Great info to have! I thought they were caused by the same virus. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
I'd recommend following your illness policy. It doesn't matter if a virus or bacteria is causing it, if they meet exclusion, send them home.

If you require a doctors note, then follow through with it.
My illness policy is pretty good, I would say somewhere in the middle compared to everyone else here. I'm not worried about her coming back and getting the other children sick since the other children have already been exposed. I am more concerned about her responses. She came off defensive and like she was hiding something. Which of course always turns on my worrying. Well if she doesn't want to tell me what could it be, is she lying to me about other things...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 AM
harperluu's Avatar
harperluu harperluu is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 173
Default

My dd just had this exact thing. She ran a mild temp around 99 and had a mild clear runny nose. But all of a sudden she was hoarse. It did develop into a cough a few days later. Just throwing in my two cents.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-2013, 11:47 AM
slorey's Avatar
slorey slorey is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 200
Default

I am wondering if the doctor told her she had an upper respiratory infection, which is pretty much fancy terminology for a cold I think. In that case, there would be no meds and she would have to just ride it out, unless she later develops a secondary infection like an ear or sinus infection.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sick policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspicious Phone Call spud912 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 07-19-2013 01:10 PM
Does this Sound Suspicious to You? Hunni Bee Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 07-15-2013 05:39 AM
Suspicious Man? EchoMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 29 10-06-2012 12:08 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming