Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>how do I hande this
Peaches 02:00 PM 03-11-2015
I have a neighbor girl that has been coming over wanting to play during the afternoon with the other neighbor daycare kids. I don't think it's fair to the other daycare families that are paying me to watch their kids so I've been send her away letting her know we can play after I close. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want her to take my turning her away personally, she's a sweet girl, but I also don't think it's right...
Controlled Chaos 02:32 PM 03-11-2015
I have a neighbor with 3 LOs the same age as my kids. I was super upfront with the parent and kids "we would love you over to play after business hours." It hasn't been a problem and I tell the neighbor kids "my boss won't let me" I try to express I love them, but my mean old boss (the state) says no friends until I am closed
Shell 03:06 PM 03-11-2015
Yep, my neighbor's kid used to come as close as humanly possible to our property line and sometimes come over.

I would just bring all the kids inside- sent a nice clear message to his mommy (I don't like her) when he was the only one standing on my property and all the dc kids were inside.

I did eventually have a chat with the dad about ratios and insurance coverage, etc.

They understood and it never happened again.

Unfortunately, two of my dcb's wound up on the same soccer team as my neighbor's son and they became fast friends because, "oh, I recognize your kids from Shell's daycare". Unfortunately, I helped someone I strongly dislike (neighbor) become friendly with an awesome daycare family, and now want to vomit everytime I see their pics on Facebook

I hear fences make good neighbors- so true sometimes
daycare 03:14 PM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Yep, my neighbor's kid used to come as close as humanly possible to our property line and sometimes come over.

I would just bring all the kids inside- sent a nice clear message to his mommy (I don't like her) when he was the only one standing on my property and all the dc kids were inside.

I did eventually have a chat with the dad about ratios and insurance coverage, etc.

They understood and it never happened again.

Unfortunately, two of my dcb's wound up on the same soccer team as my neighbor's son and they became fast friends because, "oh, I recognize your kids from Shell's daycare". Unfortunately, I helped someone I strongly dislike (neighbor) become friendly with an awesome daycare family, and now want to vomit everytime I see their pics on Facebook

I hear fences make good neighbors- so true sometimes
this.....

I had this issue a few years back and i had to go talk to the parents. I took a dc flier with me with super increased rates (detour them because I won't watch neighbor kids) and talked to the parents. I told them that I loved that their child wanted to play with us, but my license is only for xx number of kids and due to licensing regulations, I could get shut down for being over capacity. I went on to tell them that I am also required to carry insurance for all children in care and that without them paying me for having him over during dc hours, I could not allow for him to come and play.

I did invite them to look at my crazy flier with out of control prices and told them we are open from 7 to 6, (again a little bit of a fib, I close at 5) if you see us out front after that time, please feel free to come play with us, otherwise, i have to ask that you have johnny stay home during my childcare hours.

The parents said well it's so hard to tell him no he can't go out and play with you guys, he sees you guys having so much fun. So I said, I think we will do our best to play in the back more, which we did, so that it is not an issue for him.

It worked out just fine. The mom was great about it, the dad not soo much. When the kid would try to come over, I would tell him sorry, you need to go home and play in your yard. Luckily, he was a sweet kid, but if he got hurt, hurt one of mine or LIC came, I would be in trouble.
cara041083 03:26 PM 03-11-2015
It happens to me all the time! My neighbor always has her grand kids when there is no school and after school. She always sends them over here to see if my kids "want to play" I just tell them they have to come back after I close. One day the grandma asked why they couldn't play over here and I told her that if licencing showed up then I would be over my ratio.
Blackcat31 03:27 PM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
I have a neighbor girl that has been coming over wanting to play during the afternoon with the other neighbor daycare kids. I don't think it's fair to the other daycare families that are paying me to watch their kids so I've been send her away letting her know we can play after I close. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want her to take my turning her away personally, she's a sweet girl, but I also don't think it's right...
In our state you have to count her in your ratios if she comes over. Plus licensing would require you to have ALL paperwork in her file as well.

Your insurance (liability) will not cover her nor will it cover anyone if she hurts them. Purposely or accidentally.

If I were you, I'd call her parents and let them know you are working and she can't come over during your business hours. Explain why.
Gemma 04:34 PM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
There is no easy way to tell a young kid "you can't play here" but I had to do that too!
When I first opened my daycare, I had neighbor kids coming from all different directions...I'd sent them home , only to have them show up again the next day, they told me their mom sent them
I did allow 2 teens to stay, they actually read books to the kids and helped out....I asked Licensing if it was ok to have them visiting the kids and they said "neighbor can visit, as long as you don't provide care for them" ...so it worked out great!
Reply Up