Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diapers Up The Butt Crack, Half Falling Off, Etc.
permanentvacation 09:16 AM 03-13-2015
Is it just the parents that I get, or do you guys get parents that are completely incapable of putting a diaper on a child? Because of the parents' lack of diapering skills, I typically put a new diaper on the children as soon as they get to daycare, but I was busy at the time that my baby arrived. By the time I could change him, he had pooped and because the parents put the diaper on going up his butt crack, poop was all over his clothes! EWWW!!!

Many times, the diaper the child arrives in is either up the butt crack, half falling off, or the diaper isn't pulled all the way over the side of the child in front. I just don't understand why it's so hard for my parents to put diapers on their children properly. It's really not that hard of a task!

So, is it just the parents that I get, or do you guys have parents like this as well?
AmyKidsCo 09:25 AM 03-13-2015
I have that sometimes too - so loose it starts falling off. Or so big that it's hanging down to their knees even when it's dry.
hope 09:27 AM 03-13-2015
I have had the occasional bad diapering issue but usually when dcd or grandparent drops off and they are not the usual person to get the baby ready in the morning. I get a lot babies in diapers that are way too big for them. Parents get excited for their baby to get into the next size diaper. I dont know if its the idea that they are growing fast or that they are one step closer to getting their child out of diapers. I have had many 6 month olds come in in a size 4 diaper. These are tiny little babies swimming in their diapers. I send back and tell them to hold them for another few months bc I will call if they leak.
permanentvacation 09:34 AM 03-13-2015
I don't usually have a child in a diaper that's too large for them. But the 7 month old I have now, the parents have him wearing size 4! I'm like, my 2 year olds wear a size 4! I don't understand that at all. The diaper is not tight enough around the child's legs to hold the mess in. It does, however, go further up his back and belly, which keeps the mess in that direction, but it just comes out at his legs and you have messy clothes anyway! I just don't understand some parents.

I really like this family, but regarding the diapering department, I just don't understand them.
Gemma 09:39 AM 03-13-2015
I have no complaints for this group, but I know exactly what you mean!
... my biggest struggle, is more likely getting parents to understand that: just because you can squeeze your child in it, doesn't mean it's the right size!
Gemma 09:41 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
I have had the occasional bad diapering issue but usually when dcd or grandparent drops off and they are not the usual person to get the baby ready in the morning. I get a lot babies in diapers that are way too big for them. Parents get excited for their baby to get into the next size diaper. I dont know if its the idea that they are growing fast or that they are one step closer to getting their child out of diapers. I have had many 6 month olds come in in a size 4 diaper. These are tiny little babies swimming in their diapers. I send back and tell them to hold them for another few months bc I will call if they leak.
Your post made me laugh, I just posted the very opposite complaint!

I would rather deal with your problem!
Blackcat31 10:21 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
Your post made me laugh, I just posted the very opposite complaint!

I would rather deal with your problem!
Usually parents keep their child in the smaller sizes because they get more diapers per package so it's cost efficient for them.

Most my diaper wearers are cloth so I can't really comment on disposables and/or sizing. My one DCM makes her child's cloth diapers.
spinnymarie 11:13 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Usually parents keep their child in the smaller sizes because they get more diapers per package so it's cost efficient for them.
We have this problem, which makes more sense to me as well!
But since we provide the diapers while at care, we really only have to worry about the ones they come in. Which just means everyone gets changed soon after arrival while parents 'run out the pack' of too small diapers.
But too big? That's a problem I've yet to see!
permanentvacation 07:46 PM 03-13-2015
Yeah, I don't understand them buying bigger diapers because you get more diapers for your money with the smaller sizes, which the child actually needs.

I have provided all the products for the children for years. But for a while, parents have been asking if I will lower my price if they provide the products. So, other than the food (I'm on the food program, so I have to provide the food) I have started letting the parents provide the products. I should have known not to do that. I started providing everything years ago because parents would forget the products on Monday and I'd be sitting here with 2 diapers for the day or something like that. Now, my parents are remembering to bring the products, but they are buying an incorrect size for the child. I think from now on I will not allow new clients to provide anything.
Shell 09:07 PM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
Yes, I get this all the time. Parents are always eager to show me how "big" their child is getting by bumping up a diaper size and clothing size. I find this mostly with first children/ only children. By the second or third child, they try to get their money's worth
In defense of the too big diaper parent, my ds is currently sporting a size 6 diaper because that's all I've got left and I am potty training soon and don't want to spend anymore $ on diapers.
bananas 11:16 PM 03-13-2015
Ha….I had a very big 2 year old who was in 4-5t pull up diapers…they were so tight on her they always slid up her butt cheek on one side. Her pants were so tight on her when she'd poop it would shoot up her back like a water fountain because it had nowhere else to go…her poop was always the worst to boot. Sorry for the imagery!
Reply Up