Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really Stressed Out!! Can I use my CDA to be a Preschool Teacher?!
MrsCoffee 10:58 AM 06-21-2010
OK I have been doing so well, have a couple bad apples but things usually work out. God has blessed my family SO much. I am wondering if He wants me to go in a new direction...

I have families that are for the most part consistent but over the past 2 weeks I have had some extreme uncertainty about whether or not 2 families would be staying, and had to fill a spot for a girl that was pulled to go to summer camp-ugh! So this is a part of our job, but these families signed committing contracts! Does that mean anything any more?! So another scare this morning came when the dcg that I just signed to fill the one I lost, mom came and asked if she could be part time drop in! I just signed her for full! Plus right after I signed her one of my families asked to put a sib. in. Full time! I had to turn them down because I had already accepted this little girl. Well I let the mom know that she could but that I would fill her spot with a full timer if givin the opportunity because I have to look out for my business and family. I also told her about the family that has called me several times to see if everything had worked out because they want that spot. She called me back and told me she would keep full time.

I know I am blessed, praise God that all of this worked out... but how do I keep from freaking out? I love what I do, I love these children. I HATE the games that some of these parents try to play to save their own butts. It is unbelievable some of the things that have happened. NOT every parent is this way but the ones that are...yeash!

Can I take my CDA certificate and teach preschool? Anyone here ever done that? How much on average does a preschool teacher earn?

I am setting a new goal and that is to become a preschool teacher. I have a passion for children but the parents are starting to break my heart
Janet 11:06 AM 06-21-2010
Maybe it depends on the state, but in MI you can be a lead teacher as long as you have your CDA. I will warn you that in some centers, the lead teachers are paid peanuts. I worked as a lead teacher in a center and I topped out at $8.45/hour. No over time and all of my lesson planning and food program paperwork ended up being done on my own time. Make sure that find out what the pay range is and if you decide to do it, don't settle for a tiny amount of pay and a ton of responsibility. Good luck
Golden Rule 11:11 AM 06-21-2010
When I was frustrated about the wear and tear on my home last summer, I asked around a bit....

As a lead teacher I was offered $7.50hr (that was the highest offer out of 6 offers), then when I asked about the cook position i was offered an average of $12.00hr. Also, Georgia has now made it mandatory for all in home childcare providers to have CDA'S (as of next month, I think)..... I just am not seeing the benefit anymore.... Just me?
MrsCoffee 11:33 AM 06-21-2010
Wow, ...that is the saddest thing! I guess I will just keep on keepin on!

I am in Mich, I will look around.
SunflowerMama 11:36 AM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by krogers1982:
OK I have been doing so well, have a couple bad apples but things usually work out. God has blessed my family SO much. I am wondering if He wants me to go in a new direction...

I have families that are for the most part consistent but over the past 2 weeks I have had some extreme uncertainty about whether or not 2 families would be staying, and had to fill a spot for a girl that was pulled to go to summer camp-ugh! So this is a part of our job, but these families signed committing contracts! Does that mean anything any more?! So another scare this morning came when the dcg that I just signed to fill the one I lost, mom came and asked if she could be part time drop in! I just signed her for full! Plus right after I signed her one of my families asked to put a sib. in. Full time! I had to turn them down because I had already accepted this little girl. Well I let the mom know that she could but that I would fill her spot with a full timer if givin the opportunity because I have to look out for my business and family. I also told her about the family that has called me several times to see if everything had worked out because they want that spot. She called me back and told me she would keep full time.

I know I am blessed, praise God that all of this worked out... but how do I keep from freaking out? I love what I do, I love these children. I HATE the games that some of these parents try to play to save their own butts. It is unbelievable some of the things that have happened. NOT every parent is this way but the ones that are...yeash!

Can I take my CDA certificate and teach preschool? Anyone here ever done that? How much on average does a preschool teacher earn?

I am setting a new goal and that is to become a preschool teacher. I ahev a passion for children but the parents are starting to break my heart
I was a preschool teacher before doing this and a lead teacher makes $11/hr, assistant $9/hr. That was at my school in Texas.
Janet 11:36 AM 06-21-2010
Michigan really sucks for finding employment as a lead teacher. The pay is little and they expect so much from you! I interviewed at a different center and they only wanted to pay me $7.25 an hour as a lead teacher. I told the director that the offer was an insult and they countered with $7.50 as a final offer. I declined. A couple months later, they called and offered the job again at the same rate but told me I should give it a chance, and that I would love it there. I was like "ummm...no"
MrsCoffee 11:52 AM 06-21-2010
egh.... yuck. Well I guess I am not doing so bad...

Just had one Dcb go home from fever parent called me and Dr. said hand foot mouth... My children have never had this nor any other Dcc. DcM said Dr. said HIGHLY contagious! Life of a daycare provider! Ha!
Golden Rule 12:03 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by krogers1982:
egh.... yuck. Well I guess I am not doing so bad...

Just had one Dcb go home from fever parent called me and Dr. said hand foot mouth... My children have never had this nor any other Dcc. DcM said Dr. said HIGHLY contagious! Life of a daycare provider! Ha!

This too shall pass Time to break out the bleach and water to disinfect everything, yet again..... Never a dull moment is there?
Sending good vibes for a better day tomorrow!!!
nannyde 12:09 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
When I was frustrated about the wear and tear on my home last summer, I asked around a bit....

As a lead teacher I was offered $7.50hr (that was the highest offer out of 6 offers), then when I asked about the cook position i was offered an average of $12.00hr. Also, Georgia has now made it mandatory for all in home childcare providers to have CDA'S (as of next month, I think)..... I just am not seeing the benefit anymore.... Just me?

Georgia has now made it mandatory for all in home childcare providers to have CDA'S

WOWIE ZOPS You have a link for that?

In my State you can have an entire Center FULL of employees that don't even have a GED. The minimum requirement of education for the DIRECTOR and assistant director is a GED. The Centers get to decide who is "teacher, lead teacher" etc. They don't have any rules for that at all. They all call all of their staff "teacher" and not a one of them has to even have a GED much less a high school education or college education. Heck they can work there for a year before they even have to have any training other than child abuse. If they leave their current job the clock starts over when they start the next job. There's no accountability for Center workers other than the few who last more than a year.

If they made that a rule here it would be the same thing as saying almost all kids in care must go to Centers. The Centers here would LOVE that. It would almost completely eliminate home day care. I wouldn't even qualify for that and I have a Bachelors Degree in Nursing Science and 31 years of experience.

Are they requiring Center staff to have it too? One thing I have learned in Child Care in the last 30 years is the most kids will go to the least educated worker. The business that has the least educated workers will have the most of the kids.

Wow I've heard some crazy things in my career but that one about takes the cake. I am SHOCKED.

(I read a few years back the average age and education level of home day care providers in my state. I will have to look that up. I think it was 18 percent had more than a high school education and something like 40 percent had less than a high school diploma... like a GED or lower. I can't remember for sure. I remember tho that they just did a survey and didn't require the respondents to PROVE the education. I think the stats would be way lower than reported if that were the case. People have a tendency to really overexaggerate their experience and education when just asked as opposed to show. I've found that over the years of interviewing staff.)

Don't quote me on that tho... cuz it's off the top of my head. If I get a chance I will look that up. It was in a "state of the state of child care something" that was put out by our CCRR
originalkat 12:41 PM 06-21-2010
I worked as Lead Preschool Teachers in numerous centers/preschools in California and Kansas. The most I made was $10.00 per hour. You will make more money doing Home Daycare for sure. I am going back to school to finish my Early Childhood Certification so I can teach up to 3rd grade. Since my own kids are going to be in school, I thought I would go in this direction for better pay/benefits/time off. I will have to bite the bullet and school full time online starting in August. But in 1 1/2 years I will be ready for my Student teaching. I think it will be worth it.
QualiTcare 01:51 PM 06-21-2010
if you're talking about a preschool in a daycare, i'm sure you could work there with a CDA - if you even have to have that.

if you want to be a preschool teacher in a school or head start type program, you have to have a bachelor's degree.

i know this lady who worked in a daycare center as a preschool teacher aka the four year old class and she went to school for two years to get an associates degree because she thought she could get a job teaching at an actual preschool with an associates. she was shocked when they told her she needed a bachelors. i still can't figure out how she went for two years without figuring that out.
Golden Rule 03:00 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Georgia has now made it mandatory for all in home childcare providers to have CDA'S

WOWIE ZOPS You have a link for that?

In my State you can have an entire Center FULL of employees that don't even have a GED. The minimum requirement of education for the DIRECTOR and assistant director is a GED. The Centers get to decide who is "teacher, lead teacher" etc. They don't have any rules for that at all. They all call all of their staff "teacher" and not a one of them has to even have a GED much less a high school education or college education. Heck they can work there for a year before they even have to have any training other than child abuse. If they leave their current job the clock starts over when they start the next job. There's no accountability for Center workers other than the few who last more than a year.

If they made that a rule here it would be the same thing as saying almost all kids in care must go to Centers. The Centers here would LOVE that. It would almost completely eliminate home day care. I wouldn't even qualify for that and I have a Bachelors Degree in Nursing Science and 31 years of experience.

I will hand enter it... http://decal.ga.gov/ChildCareService...lyDayCare.aspx did that work?

Are they requiring Center staff to have it too? One thing I have learned in Child Care in the last 30 years is the most kids will go to the least educated worker. The business that has the least educated workers will have the most of the kids.

Wow I've heard some crazy things in my career but that one about takes the cake. I am SHOCKED.

(I read a few years back the average age and education level of home day care providers in my state. I will have to look that up. I think it was 18 percent had more than a high school education and something like 40 percent had less than a high school diploma... like a GED or lower. I can't remember for sure. I remember tho that they just did a survey and didn't require the respondents to PROVE the education. I think the stats would be way lower than reported if that were the case. People have a tendency to really overexaggerate their experience and education when just asked as opposed to show. I've found that over the years of interviewing staff.)

Don't quote me on that tho... cuz it's off the top of my head. If I get a chance I will look that up. It was in a "state of the state of child care something" that was put out by our CCRR
I dont know how to add links, but will try.

It says we must posess a CDA, TCC in Early Childhood, Associates Degree in Early Childhood, or a Para-Pro certification...

It keeps saying invalid file...anyone know how to link? I accidently put the link in the middle of your quote...but I think it works, anyway...lol!!
tmcp2001 03:11 PM 06-21-2010
The link worked.

And, WOW. I can't believe they are requiring that for new applicants!! That's going to deter a LOT of people! I think it's great that they are trying to up the level of education but it's going to be tough for people to do!
boysx5 03:27 PM 06-21-2010
I have a degree in ECE and preschool teachers make nothing thats why I do daycare instead the money is much better
Golden Rule 03:28 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by tmcp2001:
The link worked.

And, WOW. I can't believe they are requiring that for new applicants!! That's going to deter a LOT of people! I think it's great that they are trying to up the level of education but it's going to be tough for people to do!
I have several friends that have already closed....a lot have just decided not to re-register. If we could afford more education, most of us would be in another field to begin with ...but seriously, where are the benefits?

In all honesty, the incentives to register are gone. The un-registered homes have been advertising in the paper for years and nothing is ever done... yet we are held to such a tight standard and feel our lively hood threatened every day. (no, I don't report them. It just is frustrating to have to compete with that, sometimes.) I am in a very precarious situation in that if I get into trouble with the State for an unregistered daycare, it could cost me my Paramedic Certificaton, also... Catch 22....
nannyde 03:57 PM 06-21-2010
I dont know how to add links, but will try.

It says we must posess a CDA, TCC in Early Childhood, Associates Degree in Early Childhood, or a Para-Pro certification...

It keeps saying invalid file...anyone know how to link? I accidently put the link in the middle of your quote...but I think it works, anyway...lol!!

It looks like the TCC in early childhood is just twenty five hours of class time? Is that right? My state requires 12 hours per year. This would mean 25 hours of class upfront before you started. http://www.dekalbtech.edu/academics/program.php?id=86

That would not be 25 hours of college credits but 25 TOTAL hours of class time to obtain the TCC.

Is that right?
nannyde 05:16 PM 06-21-2010
I have several friends that have already closed....a lot have just decided not to re-register. If we could afford more education, most of us would be in another field to begin with ...but seriously, where are the benefits?

In all honesty, the incentives to register are gone. The un-registered homes have been advertising in the paper for years and nothing is ever done... yet we are held to such a tight standard and feel our lively hood threatened every day. (no, I don't report them. It just is frustrating to have to compete with that, sometimes.) I am in a very precarious situation in that if I get into trouble with the State for an unregistered daycare, it could cost me my Paramedic Certificaton, also... Catch 22....
Well this is interesting. The "lead teacher" in Centers will have to have this too by 2012

Here are the Center ratios1) A center must establish groupings of children for care and maintain staff:child ratios
as follows:
Ages of Children Staff:Child Ratio* Maximum Group Size
Infants less than one (1) year old or children
under eighteen (18) months who are not
walking 1:6 12
One (1) year olds who are walking 1:8 16
Two (2) year olds 1:10 20
Three (3) year olds 1:15 30
Four (4) year olds 1:18 36
Five (5) year olds 1:20 40
Six (6) years and older 1:25 50
(2) Teacher/Lead Caregiver.
(a) A center must have a designated teacher/lead caregiver for each group of children.

The rest of the staff can be: 4) Caregivers/Aides.
(a) A center may employ caregivers/aides to assist the teacher/lead caregiver in the care
of children in any group within the center. No caregiver/aide who is 16 or 17 years of age
shall be solely responsible for children.
(b) Qualifications of Caregivers/Aides.
1. Be at least sixteen (16) years of age;
2. Have current evidence of successful completion of a biennial training program in
cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and a triennial training program in first aid
provided by certified or licensed health care professionals and which covers the provision
of emergency care to infants and children if the caregiver is to be counted as part of the
fifty percent (50%) of the child care staff with the required current evidence of CPR and
first aid training;
3. Participate in the orientation and training required by these rules;
4. Not be suffering from any physical handicap or mental health disorder that would
interfere with the person's ability to perform assigned job duties adequately and in
accordance with these rules;
5. Never have been shown by credible evidence, e.g., a court or jury, a Department
investigation or other reliable evidence to have abused, neglected or deprived a child or
adult or to have subjected any person to serious injury as a result of intentional or grossly
negligent misconduct. The Department may request an oral or written statement to this
effect at the time of application or at any other time. Upon said request, the caregiver/aide
or staff shall provide this statement to the Department.
6. Not have a criminal record; and
7. Not have made any material false statements concerning qualifications requirements
either to the Department or to the proposed or current licensee or commission holder.

This makes me very suspicious that the Centers were behind this legislation in the first place. It "looks" like the Center staff will have to have a similiar education but in reality when you look at the numbers they really don't. They only have to have one person for each "group" of kids and the allowable group size is HUGE.

Compared to my State:

Our Center staff has to be a one to four ratio from birth to two. Georgia is allowed a one to six for under ones and a one to EIGHT for one year olds. This means 1.5 to 2 X as many kids per adult.

The two year old ratio in my State is 1 to 6, georgia is 1 to 10. The three year old ratio here is 1 to 8 and in Georgia it's 1 to 15. See the math? Even though they may require some education for a few of their staff the "aides" are allowed to have as much as twice the number of kids.

If I were a Center director I'd pick Georgia money wise. The majority of the caregivers can have NO education and the ratios are HUGE.

Do you guys have a Union? These rules will shove the majority of kids into Centers. The adults can have way less education and way more kids than the home provider. That's why it makes me suspicious that the push for these regs actually came from the Centers. Sure they have to have a few Staff with some credentials but considering how big the groups can be it's a really good money deal.

It really shows you that they don't really "get" it. Adult to child ratios are WAY more important in the care of young children than the education of the caregiver. If they wanted to really make a difference they should have limited the adult to child ratio especially in the under three group.

I wish I knew more about the TCC. If that's just 25 hours of class then that's not too unatainable for most providers. Most Centers could afford to do that training with their own employees I would think.
originalkat 05:35 PM 06-21-2010
Those ratios are crazy!! Ours are SOOO much lower than that for centers.

Infants (2 weeks to 12 months) 1 to 3
Toddlers (12 mos. to 2 ½ years if walking alone) 1 to 5
2 years to 3 years 1 to 7
3 years to school age 1 to 12
Kindergarten enrollees 1 to 14
School age 1 to 16
nannyde 06:20 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Those ratios are crazy!! Ours are SOOO much lower than that for centers.

Infants (2 weeks to 12 months) 1 to 3
Toddlers (12 mos. to 2 ½ years if walking alone) 1 to 5
2 years to 3 years 1 to 7
3 years to school age 1 to 12
Kindergarten enrollees 1 to 14
School age 1 to 16
It's the Center staff infant ratio that makes it possible for home day care to even exist in my state. If they increased it to Georgia's we would have a very hard time staying in business. Those two to four extra babies per adult is the a huge amount of profit for the Centers.

Some of these States regs really make me glad to be in my State. YIKES

I would qualify to be a Center director in Georgia but not a home day care provider.
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:56 PM 06-21-2010
I am a preschool teacher in a Daycare and only get $8/hr. I have my highschool diploma, plus some Early Childhood trainings (but NOT from a college). I have approximately 5 years of direct experience working with young children (I mean lead Child Watch attendant at local YMCA, also a preschool assistant there, then a lead preschool teacher at a Preschool ministry, and now a daycare assistant and lead preshool teacher at a class 2 home daycare. This doesn't count all my years of babysitting, church nursery, camp counseling, etc). Why is so much education required so often to work with young children? If you have a heart for young children, a passion for leading them in the right way, helping them grow up as strong, confident individuals, and experience in the same field you'd like to work in, why would everyone be required to have extra education? Sometimes education just gives a person a "big head" and they go around thinking they are child care experts and know how everything has to be done, but yet when they don't have much experience, all that education is worth nothing because they have no idea that what works for one child won't work for another. Kids are not cookie cutters, so why so much education telling you how children are at certain ages, what they enjoy, and how they'll behave? You can tell me how a 3 yr old will behave, but I know all children are different and will not all behave the same way at any particular age. No two 3 yr olds are alike. So why would someone need 4 yrs of college work when someone with experience (but no college) can do just as well? The only difference I see is in the pay, which isn't right either because a job that pays more to someone with a bachelor's is the same as saying they don't care about experience or common sense. I've known people with an actual degree and I don't know how in the world they got hired! They talk like they know it all and tell everyone how things should be done, but in reality, they have no clue what to do when they're actually placed in charge of a group of children. I've already tried their "method" or whatever, and know from experience that it doesn't work. I believe work places should pay people based on experience rather than college degrees, like they used to.
Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure many of you with a college degree will disagree, but don't knock me (or others like me) until you meet me, and see me in action. (I admit, I'm nowhere near perfect, I mess up all the time, I wish I knew more what to do in specific situations, but with experience I learn. The areas I have trouble with a person could not learn in a college course. They can only learn with experience).
Sorry, I think that was waaay of topic from what the original poster was asking!
QualiTcare 07:54 PM 06-21-2010
"I'm sure many of you with a college degree will disagree, but don't knock me (or others like me) until you meet me, and see me in action."

um, aren't you asking "us" not to do exactly what you just did?

just sayin.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:51 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
"I'm sure many of you with a college degree will disagree, but don't knock me (or others like me) until you meet me, and see me in action."

um, aren't you asking "us" not to do exactly what you just did?

just sayin.
I see your point. I honestly did not mean it that way! I apologize for how that sounded. I guess I was trying to defend myself and others like me when I didn't even need to. My point is just that when so many states require you to have a college degree to work with young children, why doesn't experience and references mean just as much? I can see wanting to make sure the person they have working with young children actually know what they're doing, and take it seriously, but I just wonder why experience can't mean as much. I have known people who don't have a colege degree and work with kids, and I wonder how they ever got hired. But I've wondered that with people who DO have a college degree, also. I am NOT saying that all people with a degree are like I described in my previous post. I have also worked with people with a degree and they are really good, and I really respect them and their knowledge. But usually these people have experience also, and have tried and tested the things taught in early childhood classes, and kept the good ones and threw out the ones that don't work for them.
Soo, long story short, my point is that experience WITH references should mean something too.
I really apologize for how it sounded in my previous post.
originalkat 06:57 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I see your point. I honestly did not mean it that way! I apologize for how that sounded. I guess I was trying to defend myself and others like me when I didn't even need to. My point is just that when so many states require you to have a college degree to work with young children, why doesn't experience and references mean just as much? I can see wanting to make sure the person they have working with young children actually know what they're doing, and take it seriously, but I just wonder why experience can't mean as much. I have known people who don't have a colege degree and work with kids, and I wonder how they ever got hired. But I've wondered that with people who DO have a college degree, also. I am NOT saying that all people with a degree are like I described in my previous post. I have also worked with people with a degree and they are really good, and I really respect them and their knowledge. But usually these people have experience also, and have tried and tested the things taught in early childhood classes, and kept the good ones and threw out the ones that don't work for them.
Soo, long story short, my point is that experience WITH references should mean something too.
I really apologize for how it sounded in my previous post.
Hey, No problem. I started out with no education in ECE and a lot of experiences like the ones you mentioned in your first post. I am glad employers gave me a chance to prove myself. However, I started taking college courses and reading professional development books and it broadened my views and gave me new things to think about and techniques to try. So overall, I think education is a positive all the way around and does add to the quality of care a person can provide. Of course a degree does not mean you necessarily have common sense or any classroom management skills.
professionalmom 07:25 PM 06-22-2010
One thing I have learned in Child Care in the last 30 years is the most kids will go to the least educated worker. The business that has the least educated workers will have the most of the kids.
LIGHT BULB MOMENT!! NOW I get it! That's why I am not full! I'm too educated! It does make some sense though. I have a bachelor's degree, completed 2 trade school certificates, and even went to law school (quit to be a FT mom). I come from a HUGE extended family and have been an aunt since I was 12 years old, so I had TONS of childcare experience long before I became an adult. I can not even remember a time in my life when I did NOT know how to change a diaper (even the old cloth with the safety pins) or fix a bottle. I have a ton of education, coupled with over 25 years of childcare experience, yet my daycare is not full.

But with all my qualifications, I do expect to actually get paid something worthwhile. I know there are some uneducated (less than a GED), untrained, unlicensed people with little to no experience filling up their homes with kids because they are only charging $75-100 per week for full time. Never mind that they are breaking the law (for not being licensed and for being over capacity even if they were licensed). So I lose out. Hmmm... maybe I should start turning some of those law breakers into the authorities.
QualiTcare 07:32 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
LIGHT BULB MOMENT!! NOW I get it! That's why I am not full! I'm too educated! It does make some sense though. I have a bachelor's degree, completed 2 trade school certificates, and even went to law school (quit to be a FT mom). I come from a HUGE extended family and have been an aunt since I was 12 years old, so I had TONS of childcare experience long before I became an adult. I can not even remember a time in my life when I did NOT know how to change a diaper (even the old cloth with the safety pins) or fix a bottle. I have a ton of education, coupled with over 25 years of childcare experience, yet my daycare is not full.

But with all my qualifications, I do expect to actually get paid something worthwhile. I know there are some uneducated (less than a GED), untrained, unlicensed people with little to no experience filling up their homes with kids because they are only charging $75-100 per week for full time. Never mind that they are breaking the law (for not being licensed and for being over capacity even if they were licensed). So I lose out. Hmmm... maybe I should start turning some of those law breakers into the authorities.
yeah, it probably is true that the places with the least educated workers have the most kids. they can pay the employees peanuts and keep as many kids as humanly possible as long as there's a warm body present. sounds like a chain to me.
Former Teacher 07:39 PM 06-22-2010
This is quite funny. I worked at ONE center from the age of 17 (8/1991) until the age of 36 (2/2009). I was part time and worked my way up to full time Assistant Director. I was fresh out of HS. The director/owner wanted me to take the CDA course (she wasn't going to pay for it ) so I would get better experiance. I was told by the teacher that it would cost me $350 (back then that was ALOT!) to complete this course. I said ok, and if I fail the test, what happens. Only another $350 until I do pass! Um no thanks

So anyway, I laugh because as I said I worked my way up from part time afternoon caregiver to full time Assistant Director. Starting pay: $4.25. Ending pay: $8.00

Yes Assistant Director only making $8.00 an hour. Sad really. I worked my a$$ off. Finally I said enough is enough. It wasn't the kids that burned me out. It wasn't even the parents. It was the staff and the BS that came with them. It was the TX state licensing and the BS with that.

I am now a current nanny to a wondering and loving family. There are times when I just sit down even now over a year later and just sigh and say thank God it's over!

Thanks for the vent guys!
Golden Rule 05:42 PM 06-26-2010
It looks like the TCC in early childhood is just twenty five hours of class time? Is that right? My state requires 12 hours per year. This would mean 25 hours of class upfront before you started. http://www.dekalbtech.edu/academics/program.php?id=86

That would not be 25 hours of college credits but 25 TOTAL hours of class time to obtain the TCC.

Is that right?
Well this is interesting. The "lead teacher" in Centers will have to have this too by 2012

Here are the Center ratios1) A center must establish groupings of children for care and maintain staff:child ratios
as follows:
Ages of Children Staff:Child Ratio* Maximum Group Size
Infants less than one (1) year old or children
under eighteen (18) months who are not
walking 1:6 12
One (1) year olds who are walking 1:8 16
Two (2) year olds 1:10 20
Three (3) year olds 1:15 30
Four (4) year olds 1:18 36
Five (5) year olds 1:20 40
Six (6) years and older 1:25 50
(2) Teacher/Lead Caregiver.
(a) A center must have a designated teacher/lead caregiver for each group of children.

The rest of the staff can be: 4) Caregivers/Aides.
(a) A center may employ caregivers/aides to assist the teacher/lead caregiver in the care
of children in any group within the center. No caregiver/aide who is 16 or 17 years of age
shall be solely responsible for children.
(b) Qualifications of Caregivers/Aides.
1. Be at least sixteen (16) years of age;
2. Have current evidence of successful completion of a biennial training program in
cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and a triennial training program in first aid
provided by certified or licensed health care professionals and which covers the provision
of emergency care to infants and children if the caregiver is to be counted as part of the
fifty percent (50%) of the child care staff with the required current evidence of CPR and
first aid training;
3. Participate in the orientation and training required by these rules;
4. Not be suffering from any physical handicap or mental health disorder that would
interfere with the person's ability to perform assigned job duties adequately and in
accordance with these rules;
5. Never have been shown by credible evidence, e.g., a court or jury, a Department
investigation or other reliable evidence to have abused, neglected or deprived a child or
adult or to have subjected any person to serious injury as a result of intentional or grossly
negligent misconduct. The Department may request an oral or written statement to this
effect at the time of application or at any other time. Upon said request, the caregiver/aide
or staff shall provide this statement to the Department.
6. Not have a criminal record; and
7. Not have made any material false statements concerning qualifications requirements
either to the Department or to the proposed or current licensee or commission holder.

This makes me very suspicious that the Centers were behind this legislation in the first place. It "looks" like the Center staff will have to have a similiar education but in reality when you look at the numbers they really don't. They only have to have one person for each "group" of kids and the allowable group size is HUGE.

Compared to my State:

Our Center staff has to be a one to four ratio from birth to two. Georgia is allowed a one to six for under ones and a one to EIGHT for one year olds. This means 1.5 to 2 X as many kids per adult.

The two year old ratio in my State is 1 to 6, georgia is 1 to 10. The three year old ratio here is 1 to 8 and in Georgia it's 1 to 15. See the math? Even though they may require some education for a few of their staff the "aides" are allowed to have as much as twice the number of kids.

If I were a Center director I'd pick Georgia money wise. The majority of the caregivers can have NO education and the ratios are HUGE.

Do you guys have a Union? These rules will shove the majority of kids into Centers. The adults can have way less education and way more kids than the home provider. That's why it makes me suspicious that the push for these regs actually came from the Centers. Sure they have to have a few Staff with some credentials but considering how big the groups can be it's a really good money deal.

It really shows you that they don't really "get" it. Adult to child ratios are WAY more important in the care of young children than the education of the caregiver. If they wanted to really make a difference they should have limited the adult to child ratio especially in the under three group.

I wish I knew more about the TCC. If that's just 25 hours of class then that's not too unatainable for most providers. Most Centers could afford to do that training with their own employees I would think.
It's the Center staff infant ratio that makes it possible for home day care to even exist in my state. If they increased it to Georgia's we would have a very hard time staying in business. Those two to four extra babies per adult is the a huge amount of profit for the Centers.

Some of these States regs really make me glad to be in my State. YIKES

I would qualify to be a Center director in Georgia but not a home day care provider.
Please don't think I have been avoiding answering.... I just have read, re-read and am frustrated in trying to understand it all. I simply don't know the answers....
At our training classes we get several different answers and nobody seems to have a full understanding of what is expected anymore (granted those instructors are contracted to teach and are as confused as we are by it) .They keep telling me "Oh, don't you worry about it honey, you are grandfathered in." Meanwhile I have had two state visits in a month... More than in the last 4 years...
I only got "gigged" about my having baby oil in the bathroom (toxic chemical? Who knew? I use it everyday.) and not having current "No pay" forms notorized for my professional courtesy kids (fire/ems/hosital on-call) who come occassionally (procrastination, totally my fault). The inspector was really sweet and I actually enjoyed her company, but feel like I am going to be lucky if they don't find a reason (not her personally, but maybe that is the goal of the state?)..... I do understand that if they suspend for any reason, I have to start over.
Maybe I am being paranoid, but I cannot afford (mentally, physically, closest class 2 hours away.) any more time away from home with the amount of training/clinical hours I already have to do yearly for my Paramedic.

If you understand it...I am all ears....and I have only heard of a Childcare Union through this forum.
lovinggodandpeople 10:15 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
This is quite funny. I worked at ONE center from the age of 17 (8/1991) until the age of 36 (2/2009). I was part time and worked my way up to full time Assistant Director. I was fresh out of HS. The director/owner wanted me to take the CDA course (she wasn't going to pay for it ) so I would get better experiance. I was told by the teacher that it would cost me $350 (back then that was ALOT!) to complete this course. I said ok, and if I fail the test, what happens. Only another $350 until I do pass! Um no thanks

So anyway, I laugh because as I said I worked my way up from part time afternoon caregiver to full time Assistant Director. Starting pay: $4.25. Ending pay: $8.00

Yes Assistant Director only making $8.00 an hour. Sad really. I worked my a$$ off. Finally I said enough is enough. It wasn't the kids that burned me out. It wasn't even the parents. It was the staff and the BS that came with them. It was the TX state licensing and the BS with that.

I am now a current nanny to a wondering and loving family. There are times when I just sit down even now over a year later and just sigh and say thank God it's over!

Thanks for the vent guys!
Hello , I read your entry and i agree with most of what you said . I have been in this field now for a short time but i am now second guessing myself and asking is this worth it ? I want to go to school to be a elementary school teacher . Is it necessary for me to get my CDA ? or can i just bypass it and go after my Associates ? I don't see myself lasting at my center for long too much drama and the pay is not worth it . I really want to try to get to get into the school system , and surprisingly there are alot of openings . What's your advice ? Thanks . =)
Michael 11:40 PM 01-04-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum lovinggodandpeople!
godiva83 05:19 AM 01-05-2012
Wow, I knew the pay for child care workers was low - but not that low. That is below poverty line, one must really love working with children to stay in this line of work. Here in Ontario Canada every lead teacher, supervisor, assistant supervisor must have their ECE degrees and also be registered and certified with the College of ECE-- this move I believe has raised the pay scale. I made close to $30/hr being supervisor of a government run daycare centre. I made much more working outside the home than I do running a HDC
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by lovinggodandpeople:
Hello , I read your entry and i agree with most of what you said . I have been in this field now for a short time but i am now second guessing myself and asking is this worth it ? I want to go to school to be a elementary school teacher . Is it necessary for me to get my CDA ? or can i just bypass it and go after my Associates ? I don't see myself lasting at my center for long too much drama and the pay is not worth it . I really want to try to get to get into the school system , and surprisingly there are alot of openings . What's your advice ? Thanks . =)
I think it depends on what state you are in and what their requirements are. I have my CDA and have for years. I recently went back to school to complete my Bachelor's degree in ECE and become licensed to teach birth-grade 3. Having my CDA served me no purpose in doing that.

As for child care, having my CDA allowed me to be more knowledgeable in the field (as any education in ECE is helpful) and also allowed me to be paid a higher reimbursement rate for families I care for on state assistance.

If I weren't providing child care and actually working in the field, I would not have bothered with the CDA at all and just gone ahead and jumped into the A.A.S/A.A or Bachelor's degree.

In my state you can work as a lead teacher in child care centers and preschools, as well as being an assistant teacher in the Head Start classroom if you have a CDA. Which is why I have mine since I worked in Head Start prior to opening a child care. In order to work in our elementary schools or within the school district, we need to have a license and a minimum of an Associate's degree.

Hope that answers your questions.
Unregistered 07:41 AM 11-12-2012
Well I'm located in Houston, Tx and if you don't have a CDA u are offered 9.00 or 9.50 and with a CDA u make between 12.00-14.00$ good luck ladies!!
Alyssa 03:47 PM 04-06-2015
Those wages are insane. I live in Texas and began work in a preschool center as an assistant at $10/hr... which I know was the lowest they would offer considering I was only 19 with just a high school degree and some art school behind me. Of course I had to do about 3 days of training before I was even allowed to work in the classroom, and even after I had a list of certifications that I had to complete before I could be let alone in the classroom (assuming we were in ratio for the other teacher to leave, of course) The Minimum Standards for Texas in my classroom were 1:4 for the infant room (2-12 months) where I worked, but the facility I worked at was wonderful and had 3:10 so it was never too overwhelming.

My question/reason for coming here was that I have now transitioned to being a full-time nanny, but before leaving the preschool had begun the process for an Infant-Toddler CDA. Now that I no longer work at the center, I know I'm not eligible,but could I still go for a Home Visitor CDA? The CDA council site is pretty unclear about what exactly a Home Visitor is.... does working 40hrs/week taking care of an infant count?

My ultimate goal is to be able to teach kindergarten (preschool is wonderful, but unfortunately it's not a respected enough position to be able to make a good living off of), and I know that having a CDA would cut down on the number of classes I have to taken later. Any help with this?
Thriftylady 04:03 PM 04-06-2015
I don't have a degree. I have done some trade school stuff, and worked many jobs. I am also very experienced with children as I started with babysitting at a very young age. I do take many trainings and have done many free online college classes. I did graduate from HS. But I am not full. Maybe I am taking to much offense, but I don't like being called "uneducated" just because all of my education is here and there and with no degree. That was my choice really, I was low income and the state wanted me to get a degree I did so well in trade school and they were going to pay every penny for it. My abusive ex wouldn't allow it. Honestly I am glad I didn't do it, because I would have gone for accounting. I enjoy accounting, but I LOVE children more. Sure the money from a degree in accounting would be better, but I doubt I would still be doing it just for the money. At this point in my life, I want to enjoy what I do not just suffer through it. And honestly, most parents just don't want to pay for education of providers. Oh and I am unlicensed LEGALLY.
Rockgirl 05:17 PM 04-06-2015
Originally Posted by tmcp2001:
The link worked.

They are likely trying to phase out in-home daycares. :/
Blackcat31 05:22 PM 04-06-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
They are likely trying to phase out in-home daycares. :/
The post you quoted is 5 yrs old
Tags:cda, preschool
Reply Up