Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2016, 03:42 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default Termed Parent Complained and I Got a Visit...

...But too bad for them. Remember the termed family who made false accusations to me about not feeding their child? Yeah, they called my state licensing a whole month and then some later to complain.

The state came today, saw all my paperwork and documentation and closed the case. She saw how efficient I was and knew the parent was just upset and trying to get back at me.

Definitely DOCUMENT EVERYTHINGGGGGG even if your parents get mad. Had I not had that, it could have gone differently. It's very sad parents can be so spiteful, but God was on my side today. I am glad I do things right so I have nothing to be worried about.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
...But too bad for them. Remember the termed family who made false accusations to me about not feeding their child? Yeah, they called my state licensing a whole month and then some later to complain.

The state came today, saw all my paperwork and documentation and closed the case. She saw how efficient I was and knew the parent was just upset and trying to get back at me.

Definitely DOCUMENT EVERYTHINGGGGGG even if your parents get mad. Had I not had that, it could have gone differently. It's very sad parents can be so spiteful, but God was on my side today. I am glad I do things right so I have nothing to be worried about.
It is so sad, but we have to write down every little thing. Late payments? Better write it down. Non-payment? Better write it down. Every.Little.Thing. I hate it, but I digress. Sorry you had to deal with the visit though. Even though there was nothing to it, there was time out of your day and stress.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:59 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Thank you. I'm actually kind of happy. The parent will find out I am still running. See everything was washed away, and she did it all for nothing. There's always a storm before the calm. I know the saying goes the other way, but you need rain in order for your seeds to grow.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2016, 08:11 PM
yodaone's Avatar
yodaone yodaone is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 71
Default

I'm just curious what did you use for documentation?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaone View Post
I'm just curious what did you use for documentation?
Everything. I showed e-mails and texts between parent and I. I had my sign/in out attendance sheets where parents document what time child enters daycare, and what time child leaves daycare. I had my contract, a copy of the handbook the parent had, and copies of any letters(memos) sent home. All copies of addendum that the parent signed I also had. Copies of the daily reports I give each parent daily.

Also, being that the parent made a false accusation but kept her child here an extra 7 days and it probably would have been longer had I not termed. On top of that, she did not make the complaint until over a month after her child's last day in care.

All of that, including what I had in writing, and my verbal side of the story, the licensor knew she did it out of spite. Some parents are "good people," but when they get a no and feel like they've lost all control, they turn on you so quick. It's a lesson learned in my books.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-10-2016, 06:37 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
Everything. I showed e-mails and texts between parent and I. I had my sign/in out attendance sheets where parents document what time child enters daycare, and what time child leaves daycare. I had my contract, a copy of the handbook the parent had, and copies of any letters(memos) sent home. All copies of addendum that the parent signed I also had. Copies of the daily reports I give each parent daily.

Also, being that the parent made a false accusation but kept her child here an extra 7 days and it probably would have been longer had I not termed. On top of that, she did not make the complaint until over a month after her child's last day in care.

All of that, including what I had in writing, and my verbal side of the story, the licensor knew she did it out of spite. Some parents are "good people," but when they get a no and feel like they've lost all control, they turn on you so quick. It's a lesson learned in my books.
That is so true, some people just can't handle no.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-2016, 12:14 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is offline
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Next door
Posts: 2,188
Default

The hard part is you think they are a good family so you don't take notes and then it happens. I let my case worker know that a good family left unhappy. I heard through the grapevine that DCM was going to report me. I never heard a thing from my case worker on it.
__________________
Come join us on the new site.

https://forum.daycare.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-2016, 12:21 PM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is offline
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,204
Default

Been there done that. Glad it was at least quick for you. Is stunning how small some people can be.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
The hard part is you think they are a good family so you don't take notes and then it happens. I let my case worker know that a good family left unhappy. I heard through the grapevine that DCM was going to report me. I never heard a thing from my case worker on it.
Well I knew they were a good family as in they didn't beat their child. However, I knew they wanted nanny care for the price of group care. Upset at every new policy, etc. She's some big boss of a company so when she couldn't control me it went south. Glad you didn't have to deal with that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-2016, 12:40 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Been there done that. Glad it was at least quick for you. Is stunning how small some people can be.
I am sorry you had to deal with this as well. It is the reason why I do no more special for any family. My motto is, you either like it, or leave. I can replace you. Sounds tough, but I do NOT want another situation like that if I can try to prevent it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-10-2016, 02:21 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
It is so sad, but we have to write down every little thing. Late payments? Better write it down. Non-payment? Better write it down. Every.Little.Thing. I hate it, but I digress. Sorry you had to deal with the visit though. Even though there was nothing to it, there was time out of your day and stress.
No kidding. I was once told to document drop-off and pick-up conversations, especially any dealing with child development issues, payments, policies, injuries, etc. But who has time for that?!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
No kidding. I was once told to document drop-off and pick-up conversations, especially any dealing with child development issues, payments, policies, injuries, etc. But who has time for that?!
I know. I feel like I need a composition book or something, but it's just so sad. I am trying to do better with my interviews to weed the crazies out but sometimes you don't know until the end.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
No kidding. I was once told to document drop-off and pick-up conversations, especially any dealing with child development issues, payments, policies, injuries, etc. But who has time for that?!
I have video cameras inside in every room covering every angle.

The entire system records sound too.

Documentation has never been so easy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
No kidding. I was once told to document drop-off and pick-up conversations, especially any dealing with child development issues, payments, policies, injuries, etc. But who has time for that?!
If I have a problem parent, or know I am going to have a discussion on behavior, payments, etc I record the conversation on my phone then save it on my computer. I have also started recording interviews. I put my phone on record and pop it in my pants pocket. That way if a parent lies about something important and I have to term over it I have proof they were dishonest from the beginning.

ETA: before recording, check the laws in your state. My state has a "one party consent law."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-10-2016, 03:31 PM
grandmom's Avatar
grandmom grandmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I have video cameras inside in every room covering every angle.

The entire system records sound too.

Documentation has never been so easy.
Blackcat! What system do you have? I'm especially interested.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-10-2016, 03:51 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom View Post
Blackcat! What system do you have? I'm especially interested.
Nightowl

http://nightowlsp.com/products/compl...6-channel.html

My cameras are NOT for parental viewing. They are strictly for MY use and not available for parents to log into any type of live feed or available for them to view recorded footage.

I have every angle of my home (inside covered) other than the bathroom and I have every angle of my yard outside covered as well.

It's especially helpful since I do not live in my daycare house, that the system sends alerts to my smart phone whenever there is any activity.

I can set the system to record continuously, not at all or only when action or movement is detected.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-10-2016, 04:13 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Nightowl

http://nightowlsp.com/products/compl...6-channel.html

My cameras are NOT for parental viewing. They are strictly for MY use and not available for parents to log into any type of live feed or available for them to view recorded footage.

I have every angle of my home (inside covered) other than the bathroom and I have every angle of my yard outside covered as well.

It's especially helpful since I do not live in my daycare house, that the system sends alerts to my smart phone whenever there is any activity.

I can set the system to record continuously, not at all or only when action or movement is detected.
I will look into this for the future.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-10-2016, 04:13 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
If I have a problem parent, or know I am going to have a discussion on behavior, payments, etc I record the conversation on my phone then save it on my computer. I have also started recording interviews. I put my phone on record and pop it in my pants pocket. That way if a parent lies about something important and I have to term over it I have proof they were dishonest from the beginning.

ETA: before recording, check the laws in your state. My state has a "one party consent law."
I am going to have to check the laws in my state. This would have been perfect for that situation lol
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-11-2016, 06:26 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is offline
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Next door
Posts: 2,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
If I have a problem parent, or know I am going to have a discussion on behavior, payments, etc I record the conversation on my phone then save it on my computer. I have also started recording interviews. I put my phone on record and pop it in my pants pocket. That way if a parent lies about something important and I have to term over it I have proof they were dishonest from the beginning.

ETA: before recording, check the laws in your state. My state has a "one party consent law."
I've been waiting to do this too. But keep forgetting to set it up. What app do you use?
__________________
Come join us on the new site.

https://forum.daycare.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

I would like to know the app also. Just looked it up, Ohio is one party consent.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
I've been waiting to do this too. But keep forgetting to set it up. What app do you use?
My smart phone has a built in recording feature on it.

No app required.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit individuals to record conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so.

Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation.

Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

Be aware that you will sometimes hear these referred to inaccurately as “two-party consent” laws.

If there are more than two people involved in the conversation, all must consent to the taping.

Because these laws were written with journalists in mind, many factors weigh into the legality of recording. You can read more about your state's specific laws here
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-11-2016, 10:00 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit individuals to record conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so.

Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation.

Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

Be aware that you will sometimes hear these referred to inaccurately as “two-party consent” laws.

If there are more than two people involved in the conversation, all must consent to the taping.

Because these laws were written with journalists in mind, many factors weigh into the legality of recording. You can read more about your state's specific laws here

I never thought to record an interview! I just purchased video cameras for the daycare space (indoor and out). They record video/audio all of my spaces aside from the restroom.

I just researched this, I sent DS to school with a video camera in his shirt pocket. He has high functioning autism and had suddenly been aggressive at school (hit student!) I recorded his day, and it showed the student repeatedly instigating him and the aides doing nothing, ds moving, asking him to stop, and the teacher redirecting him back to his seat. Ds did hit him.

I emailed the teacher and that student was changed to a different seat- problem solved! My son ended up not getting stuck with a BIP, which he has never needed.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
I just researched this, I sent DS to school with a video camera in his shirt pocket. He has high functioning autism and had suddenly been aggressive at school (hit student!) I recorded his day, and it showed the student repeatedly instigating him and the aides doing nothing, ds moving, asking him to stop, and the teacher redirecting him back to his seat. Ds did hit him.

I emailed the teacher and that student was changed to a different seat- problem solved! My son ended up not getting stuck with a BIP, which he has never needed.
That is awesome!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paperwork, parent - complains, reported

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has a Parent Ever Disliked You? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 04-20-2016 08:15 AM
What?!! I will have to parent my child!?!? TaylorTots Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 05-09-2014 11:00 AM
Parent Complained About All My Crafts sahm2three Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 26 11-21-2012 07:39 AM
I Am So Over This Parent! Bookworm Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 05-02-2012 11:53 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming