Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Rejected Family
Unregistered 08:21 PM 06-08-2020
I am just starting my in-home (planned before covid 19) and immediately enrolled a seemingly great family through Craigslist. We did a Zoom call and got paperwork and payment pretty fast.

Then a few days later, another. Nightmare from the start. The person wanted 3 days plus an every other 4th. I won't offer that every other usually but since I am starting out and need clients and the child was the age of my daughter and enrolled kid, I offered to cut the price a bit to hold the space, and charge that price monthly like I normally would, and then charge the difference weekly if he wants care on the every other day.
It was clear:
$30 each day for the 3 days, $20 for the 4th, charged monthly, and each week if they say they are coming, I would charge. Payment would need to be made regardless of actual attendance prior to that day. He agreed. The text was a bit weird and his sentence were not the most full or coherent.

I requested mu interest form be filled twice during this process. Never received.

I scheduled a zoom meet and he agreed.
Missed the meeting, no apology when I texted asking to reschedule. I should not have given the next chance but I am professional and did.
And meeting, missed. I asked if this person wanted to shoot off questions and I record an answer to make it more personable. No response.

Got another email asking when to start planning for daycare. Ok, my county opened for phase two this weekend so I offered (yes a 3rd chance) an in person visit. I offered two times. Finally, yesterday, got a "are you available at 345?" As if I did not ask initially.
Guy shows up 15 minutes late. No apology. Actually I assumed from the name it was a woman, and this guy came alone. Just me and my daughter...not a safe situation if you ask me. Luckily no safety issues.
But he was weird from the start and very off pitting. Got mildly aggressive at things like ensuring kids cover their cough (yet he wore no mask. Made a big deal at my offer to shake his hand. Uhhh...I have a sink to wash my hands after.) And talked about his ex making up stories on child abuse and things. Wanted me to take pictures of her injuries should she show. When I said I would not be embarrasing a child with pictures, he interjected aggressively "I would!" Ok, dude.

He did not seem to care for my offerings, brushed off my mention of experience, and then was confused at the pricing. He said I was not being simple enough for him. Made me calculate the entire summer for him-which he could do himself.
When I told him my registration fee of $50-admin and such- he was floored. $50 is standard here. I provide my policies online but I have everything in printed form in a folder. I explained it pays for admin-writing my policies, getting packet materials, ink, paper, and filing. It is also my time for meeting with people. He asked lots of questions and I could tell he was not agreeing. He then said he wanted to pay twice a month to which I said no.
Said he would talk with his wife tonight, and walked out back turned so didnt look st me saying goodbye.

Thus began my standard rejection letter. I put in there I look at the start of contact through signed contract and people I feel respect my time and policies can have a space. I said I would not elaborate specifics.
He emailed and told me I was overcharging for what I offered.
I responded with being kind to providers and suggesting he research what providers make. I formed him I provide a professional service and based off my experience (a center Director previously) those are my rates. I ended with me not being a babysitter.

It was worded really well and professionally. I know I will get a lot of people like that.

Sucks though, I really want to enroll. This is horrible timing with covid AND my daughter-who has 1 friend so I dont have any contacts-is going to a new school next year with a boundary change.

He leaves without event
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, interview - fail, red flag, rejection letter
Up