Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:08 AM
Unregistered

Default Preschool

Logged out for privacy.

I just spent ALOT of money to set my daycare up more like a preschool. I purchased a preschool curriculum to use this year. I'm super excited about it and can't wait for furniture and new supplies to come in.

Now, I have several of my older kiddos going to half day preschool. Most of them will miss out on the learning here due to when they are gone. Since most of them are going, I have another dcm questioning if she should send hers and said she's the "bad mom" because she didn't send her child.

Why is there this weird thing with preschools and parents? I understand there are some benefits to going, but I do the same - if not more - than the local preschool. It's like they think because a building is labeled as a "preschool", it's so much better than just a "home daycare."

I'm so frustrated that I spent all this money just to have several kids go elsewhere for learning. But, I know if I didn't upgrade and get new things for my older group, then there would have been thoughts about that.

Just can't win sometimes, I guess.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:33 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I also offer a full preschool program. My solution to your problem was two-fold.

1. One drop-off and one pick-up, per family, per day.
2. No drop-off allowed after 9 am.

Preschool starts at 9. If they want the free preschool at the other place, they can pay for aftercare there as well. Fair is fair.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I also offer a full preschool program. My solution to your problem was two-fold.

1. One drop-off and one pick-up, per family, per day.
2. No drop-off allowed after 9 am.

Preschool starts at 9. If they want the free preschool at the other place, they can pay for aftercare there as well. Fair is fair.
Same here. Work great!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:04 AM

OP if you use the tag search function you will find a ton of other threads about this topic. I've been in business for many many moons now and this has always been an issue for this profession (in-home child care) and I don't think there really is a solution other than tailoring your services to meet your needs and doing what works for you.

Here are the threads that come up with the tag search
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=preschool
Old 08-18-2020, 10:18 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

If you are in need of entertainment value with your education, check out the Universal Preschool threads.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

I feel you! I just bought so much starting up when covid hit and nobody wants care. I thought people were gonna flock to the much needed service?
I promote like crazy and no inquiries other than 1-2 toddlers, who I don't serve

Now I am crazy and am doing what I can handle-4.5 and up for full day-which is great for people trying to find space for an older kid since that is hard in centers when kids transition to older classes, and great for kinders with the remote learning, they get s blended experience with school-agers and curriculum.
I don't want kids all day who need naps, extra hands on deck when I am cooking and cleaning and such, and I am not wanting the headache of diapers and toilet training.

I am going to do 2 hours of preschool for anyone who wants just partial care because they are at home. I have a 3.5 year old which is why-I probably won't promote this after he is 5.

And it is different I think than most providers.
I totally want a separate space for infant and toddlers with staff but financially that won't happen.

Tags
preschool, universal preschool