Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

View Poll Results: Will The American Families Plan Federalize Daycare?
Yes 4 44.44%
No 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2021, 09:43 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,802
Default Binden's American Families Plan and Daycare

The American Families Plan is expected to call for roughly $1 trillion in new spending. About $225 billion of that is expected for child-care support.

Do you think that this will federalize daycare?

* Deliver immediate relief to working families bearing the brunt of this crisis by sending $1,400 per-person checks to households across America, providing direct housing and nutrition assistance, expanding access to safe and reliable childcare and affordable healthcare, increasing the minimum wage, extending unemployment insurance, and giving families with kids and childless workers an emergency boost this year.

** Expand access to high-quality, affordable child care. We are facing an acute, immediate child care crisis in America, which is exacerbating our economic crisis. Due to increased costs and lower enrollment, a recent survey of child care providers showed that most child care providers expect that they will close within a few months without relief or are uncertain how long they can stay open. If left unaddressed, many child care providers will close — some permanently — and millions of children could go without necessary care, and millions of parents could be left to make devastating choices this winter between caring for their children and working to put food on the table. Early childcare providers are almost entirely women, among whom 40 percent are people of color, and so these closures could devastate engines of opportunity for minority- and women-owned businesses. President Biden is calling on Congress to take immediate actions to address this crisis by helping child care centers reopen and remain open safely, and by making that care affordable to families who need it.

*** Increase tax credits to help cover the cost of childcare. To help address the childcare affordability crisis, President Biden is calling on Congress to expand child care tax credits on an emergency basis for one year to help working families cover the cost of childcare. Families will get back as a tax credit as much as half of their spending on child care for children under age 13, so that they can receive a total of up to $4,000 for one child or $8,000 for two or more children. The tax credit will be refundable, meaning that families who don’t owe a lot in taxes will still benefit. The full 50 percent reimbursement will be available to families making less than $125,000 a year. And, all families making between $125,000 and $400,000 will receive a partial credit so they receive benefits at least as generous as those they can receive today.

Last edited by Michael; 04-20-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2021, 05:14 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

It is a money grab for centers. Specifically, urban centers. Ones who pay taxes in urban areas. Whose taxes pay their salaries. Who vote them in.

They over-regulated to the the point of closure then come in as the savior offering "free" money for their hardship. They created the illness and the cure. Redistribution of wealth.

It will all collapse, just as Head Start did and the owners will be left to pick up the pieces, as usual. Minus, of course, those short-timers who come in, take the cash and run.

If they really wanted to help long term they would fund the YMCA, birth control, youth job corps and tutoring programs.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-21-2021, 06:06 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

This has been coming....Hilary was pushing it but she lost the election.......scary times! Personally, I like getting all my pay in a lump sum twice monthly from the state as all but one are paid by essential worker program since april/2020 but my brother whom is in a higher tax bracket says the economy will go south fast after all this money flying around in the name of so-called help. Our country is in trouble to say it nicely!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-21-2021, 08:15 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default




Like most hot button topics, the government just wants to put a Band-aid on it....and one that makes them look good.

They don't really want to address the root of any of it.

Keeps people needing them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2021, 10:19 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post



Like most hot button topics, the government just wants to put a Band-aid on it....and one that makes them look good.

They don't really want to address the root of any of it.

Keeps people needing them.
My sister and I had a long conversation about root of problems vs. covering with a band-aid, regarding the gun debate and mental illness.

They've got to dig deep to find the root of any problem; it's a long drawn out slowly working system and cannot show any immediate results, while throwing $$$$$ at something makes them sound like they're doing something.

I completely agree with your words BC. Unfortunately, giving more money isn't the answer.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-21-2021, 12:41 PM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,700
Default

Giving more money would absolutely be the answer if we were giving more money to a diversity of efforts to solve a diversity of early education, early intervention, and child care problems, instead of trying to be super-efficient by lumping every unique situation together.

I tend to skew left of typical left-wing on most issues, but when it comes to education, I'm not even on the charts. I can't stand the "too big to fail" Democratic approach to public education in the US and the deification of public school employees, and I suffered abuse under the "children are the property of their parents and it's nobody's business what happens behind closed doors" Republican approach, so while I am pro homeschooling and nontraditional education, I don't find any allies in that political segment.

There need to be more opportunities for more options, and there needs to be more oversight but not in the ways that are most cost efficient, i.e., forcing all educators and care providers into the same mold because it's simple to assess their performance that way, and using assessments that don't actually get at the heart of what quality care and education are. There are too many ideologues controlling the educational system with too few actual ideas between them.

/rant over
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-23-2021, 04:45 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

*** Increase tax credits to help cover the cost of childcare. To help address the childcare affordability crisis, President Biden is calling on Congress to expand child care tax credits on an emergency basis for one year to help working families cover the cost of childcare. Families will get back as a tax credit as much as half of their spending on child care for children under age 13, so that they can receive a total of up to $4,000 for one child or $8,000 for two or more children. The tax credit will be refundable, meaning that families who don’t owe a lot in taxes will still benefit. The full 50 percent reimbursement will be available to families making less than $125,000 a year.
Time to raise rates. A parent paying 154 a week is going to get half that back making their daycare bill 77 a week which would be 1.54 an hour (ten hour day) for one kid and 3.08 an hour for two. If they are getting that kind of subsidy, the providers need to raise their rates substantially.

I fear there will be strings attached to this eventually. After getting this kind of subsidy, parents aren't going to want it to end. I see the next phase being... the provider has to qualify as a "high quality" daycare. High quality, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. First move would be every family qualifying has to go to a registered daycare to get the credit.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-23-2021, 07:14 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post

I fear there will be strings attached to this eventually. After getting this kind of subsidy, parents aren't going to want it to end. I see the next phase being... the provider has to qualify as a "high quality" daycare. High quality, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. First move would be every family qualifying has to go to a registered daycare to get the credit.
That’s exactly what happens here in MN

Parents can get up to $10,000 per child for child care but must attend or use the funding only by using a 3 or 4 star rated child care (4 stars = max amount)

Every child born into the family is automatically added to the grant. Grant covers the child until first day of Kindergarten.

Families don’t have to commit to same child care provider and can use whatever provider they want as long as the program is rated 3 or 4 stars.

I have 3 families/kids using this option. They do not pay a single dime towards their costs.
I am required to do all billing etc. Parents do nothing but show up every day.
There are NO work or school requirements for parent.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 04-23-2021 at 07:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-23-2021, 07:27 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
That’s exactly what happens here in MN

Parents can get up to $10,000 per child for child care but must attend or use the funding only by using a 3 or 4 star rated child care (4 stars = max amount)

Every child born into the family is automatically added to the grant. Grant covers the child until first day of Kindergarten.

Families don’t have to commit to same child care provider and can use whatever provider they want as long as the program is rated 3 or 4 stars.

I have 3 families/kids using this option. They do not pay a single dime towards their costs.
I am required to do all billing etc. Parents do nothing but show up every day.
There are NO work or school requirements for parent.
They are doing the same here. If a provider choses not to participate they take away their stars down to 1 star. I was the first one rated here and the highest rated for quite some time. I won't take subsidy so they docked me down to 1 star this year. I won't be participating at all next year. Clearly, it has nothing to do with providing quality care for children and I no longer have any respect for them.

I am considering joining a class action law suit of private business owners for liable as I pay to be legally licensed in this state and they are maliciously applying ratings for their own agenda.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-23-2021, 07:37 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

WOW! Always a political agenda to EVERY THING!!! Crazy how so much STUFF creeps up!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-23-2021, 07:42 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
That’s exactly what happens here in MN

Parents can get up to $10,000 per child for child care but must attend or use the funding only by using a 3 or 4 star rated child care (4 stars = max amount)

Every child born into the family is automatically added to the grant. Grant covers the child until first day of Kindergarten.

Families don’t have to commit to same child care provider and can use whatever provider they want as long as the program is rated 3 or 4 stars.

I have 3 families/kids using this option. They do not pay a single dime towards their costs.
I am required to do all billing etc. Parents do nothing but show up every day.
There are NO work or school requirements for parent.
This 'showing up every day doing nothing' is getting old fast, too!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-23-2021, 10:40 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
They are doing the same here. If a provider choses not to participate they take away their stars down to 1 star. I was the first one rated here and the highest rated for quite some time. I won't take subsidy so they docked me down to 1 star this year. I won't be participating at all next year. Clearly, it has nothing to do with providing quality care for children and I no longer have any respect for them.

I am considering joining a class action law suit of private business owners for liable as I pay to be legally licensed in this state and they are maliciously applying ratings for their own agenda.
Oh I hope change can be brought about doing this!!!

In our state, only 4-5 Star rating centers(and the very VERY few home daycares that could cut the mustard by achieving that quality rating)won special favor from the state. They got more help, more support, more incentive financially, their names provided in lists for potential dcfamilies, just everything went to help them. The home daycares struggled to get 3 Stars(that's when I quit and realized I wanted to devote my time to the kids and not pleasing the state's requirements). All the stories I heard from providers who tried to play by the rules were about terribly strict inspectors who made them jump impossible hoops.
It's all about funding, not what's best for the children.

But I digress to older leftover feelings of frustration.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-23-2021, 12:34 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

"On April 22, Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) and Rep. Bobby Scott (VA-03) introduced the Child Care for Working Families Act, comprehensive legislation that addresses the child care crisis by increasing access for families to afford high-quality child care. The bill specifically looks to cap child care costs at 7% income, increase assistance for more families so they can choose the child care arrangements best for them, calls for investment in family child care educators and growing the field."

“The Child Care for Working Families Act is a crucial next step in driving us to build child care better and to look to a future of caregiving and healthy child development that is part of a just economy. Thank you to Senator Murray and Representative Scott for boldly leading once again.” - Lanette Dumas, executive director of the National Association for Family Child Care
  • So where is the personal accountability?
  • Why should taxpayers who chose to not have kids foot this bill? Do they get checks, too?
  • How about those who chose not to have more kids than they could afford? Will they get refunds?
  • Will there be back payments for the previous generations who already paid their own way and are now left with with squalid retirement and social security payouts?
  • How many kids can they have before they have to pay their fair share?
  • 7% per kid or per family?
  • Why should higher wage earners have to pay more?
  • Why even bother becoming a higher wage earner?
  • Why bother going to school or working hard at all since you come out better if you don't?

So many issues with this, I just can't. I am so pi$$ed that this government is working so hard to ruin all the parenting time I put in to raise my kids as self-sufficient, hard working and to contribute something useful to society. Just go home kids, work your 20 hours, get paid to reproduce.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-23-2021, 12:43 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

"No working family earning below 150 percent of state median income pays more than seven percent of
their income on child care, regardless of the number of children they have.
- Families earning above 75 percent of the state median income would pay on a sliding scale.
- Families earning below 75 percent of the state median income will not have to pay anything at all."

I am going to have to leave this thread. The more I research, the more angry I get. I am going to have a stroke.

Idiocracy has arrived. We'll be watching the movie A$$ before we know it.

Carry on.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Last edited by Cat Herder; 04-23-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:27 PM
Sunshine69's Avatar
Sunshine69 Sunshine69 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 182
Default

Lovely. More solutions to control the childcare “crisis”. Funny how their solutions lead to more providers closing their doors, thereby perpetuating the problem.

Maybe stop promoting the idea that childcare is costly and instead promote the idea that raising children is expensive and the responsibility of the parents!

This country has become ridiculous in enabling people not to accept responsibility for situations they create, from not enforcing penalties for not paying child support to subsidizing childcare at the expense of all taxpayers and childcare providers. Just stop it already! Adults need to adult. It’s that simple.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:38 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
Lovely. More solutions to control the childcare “crisis”. Funny how their solutions lead to more providers closing their doors, thereby perpetuating the problem.

Maybe stop promoting the idea that childcare is costly and instead promote the idea that raising children is expensive and the responsibility of the parents!

This country has become ridiculous in enabling people not to accept responsibility for situations they create, from not enforcing penalties for not paying child support to subsidizing childcare at the expense of all taxpayers and childcare providers. Just stop it already! Adults need to adult. It’s that simple.
I am so beyond grateful there are still logical, critical thinkers in our society! I agree with everything you said
Especially the bolder part!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-26-2021, 03:36 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
Lovely. More solutions to control the childcare “crisis”. Funny how their solutions lead to more providers closing their doors, thereby perpetuating the problem.

Maybe stop promoting the idea that childcare is costly and instead promote the idea that raising children is expensive and the responsibility of the parents!

This country has become ridiculous in enabling people not to accept responsibility for situations they create, from not enforcing penalties for not paying child support to subsidizing childcare at the expense of all taxpayers and childcare providers. Just stop it already! Adults need to adult. It’s that simple.
I nominate you for president. Honestly, you've got so much common sense and wish you'd give talks at all meetings over policies of expanding funds to create more ridiculous programs to better support our children. Meanwhile, we've never seen so many mass shootings and angry mobs out there before.
Children are not brought up to earn their own way, handle adversity or go through life not expecting every single thing to be handed over to them, just because. Care and respect children enough to give them specific boundaries and earn their place so they'll respect and care about themselves. People appreciate what they have so much more if they have a sense of earning it, not just having it handed over.
SO many people just don't care anymore. About anything. It's NOT going to be rectified by another costly program. Teach parents how to be loving and caring parents. Show them how to BE THERE for their child/ren and not only for themselves. It's so frustrating.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-26-2021, 10:19 AM
Gemma's Avatar
Gemma Gemma is offline
Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 1,277
Default

Another step towards communisms!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-26-2021, 10:26 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

There was a time when it was 'natural' to love/nurture your children but now we come to the generation where 'everyone gets a trophy for participation' so no one has any accountability for anything because they get the 'trophy' any way and 'dare' anyone to say anything about it much less be allowed to 'do' anything; yes socialism and communism are upon us! Whatever you wanna call it!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

I am struck at how fast Daycare went from being a Luxury to being a Right? When did having more children than you can afford become a right?

I would have loved to have had more kids, but could not afford to. I never would have dared to demand someone else pay for them.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-26-2021, 11:18 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I am struck at how fast Daycare went from being a Luxury to being a Right? When did having more children than you can afford become a right?

I would have loved to have had more kids, but could not afford to. I never would have dared to demand someone else pay for them.
You been talking to my brother, haven't you? He's so frustrated right now with this theory of 'right' and 'patting patting everyone on the back even if they're wrong even if they are performing their job correctly, be sure and pat them on the back He was wound up yesterday!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-26-2021, 11:35 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
You been talking to my brother, haven't you? He's so frustrated right now with this theory of 'right' and 'patting patting everyone on the back even if they're wrong even if they are performing their job correctly, be sure and pat them on the back He was wound up yesterday!
But were you not constantly told to follow the zero population growth thing growing up?

It was beat into us at school. In sex ed, home economics and gym classes. Every year. "1 child per adult, anything else was irresponsible unless you made enough for 3 adults."

I remember, when I got pregnant at 17, I was shamed, asked to leave school and *they (hospital staff at birth) were trying to pressure me into having my tubes tied, then. At 18.

I don't want to go back to that, but paying them to breed seems irresponsible as well. How about something in the middle?
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-26-2021, 11:47 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
But were you not constantly told to follow the zero population growth thing growing up?

It was beat into us at school. In sex ed, home economics and gym classes. Every year. "1 child per adult, anything else was irresponsible unless you made enough for 3 adults."

I remember, when I got pregnant at 17, I was shamed, asked to leave school and *they (hospital staff at birth) were trying to pressure me into having my tubes tied, then. At 18.

I don't want to go back to that, but paying them to breed seems irresponsible as well. How about something in the middle?
I agree with needing something in the 'middle' but I feel something in the 'middle' leads to judgement/negotiation and becomes difficult for the powers that be. I worry about my own two sons especially now that they are in adulthood. It's one thing to have a child out of wedlock at a young age and the family support and assist the parents which is what family does including mine and families go beyond which is great and marriage isn't always the answer so, as families, we jump in and help cause the person in question deserves that, going on now within my family; but it's another to become a repeat/habitual with no regard for those you are affecting and continue bringing kids into the world for someone else to 'raise'........
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-26-2021, 01:54 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
But were you not constantly told to follow the zero population growth thing growing up?

It was beat into us at school. In sex ed, home economics and gym classes. Every year. "1 child per adult, anything else was irresponsible unless you made enough for 3 adults."

I remember, when I got pregnant at 17, I was shamed, asked to leave school and *they (hospital staff at birth) were trying to pressure me into having my tubes tied, then. At 18.

I don't want to go back to that, but paying them to breed seems irresponsible as well. How about something in the middle?
I don't think the Duggars took that course.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
american families plan, federal funding, subsidies

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! - Daycare Emergency Plan clspreschool Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 03-09-2020 12:22 PM
Termination Gone Wrong MsKara Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 107 03-11-2015 03:09 PM
Problems With 2 Daycare Families! Angelwings36 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 12-17-2012 01:09 PM
Daycare center floor plan layout Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 09-15-2010 01:47 PM
Daycare Center Floor Plan Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 06-23-2010 05:37 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming