Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Annoyed - Still No Payment
gbcc 03:35 PM 01-24-2010
So, this new family started last Monday. We are not off to a good start. The mom requested to pay for services thru my online payments. I set her up and she was supposed to pay while at work on Friday. I accidently put $10 too much on her invoice so she sent me an email. I fixed it and sent an email back appologizing. No payment. I called her at home and she said she would pay it that evening. No payment. Here it is Sunday and still no payment. I have sent 2 reminder invoices. My policy is $10 per day payment is late. Problem is, instead of me giving her the paperwork she requested I email it so she can print it out and sign it and then keep the email on her account for reference. Ok, no big deal. Except every day Monday thru Friday she did not returnt he paperwork. Her husband was out of town and she could not get to it. So here I am, no payment, no contract which means I can't enforce the late fee either. I will be letting her know tonight that I will not be accepting her children Monday without full payment AND the signed contracts.

I am just so frustrated. Why is it that parents think we don't deserve to be paid on time. All we do for them and their children and no respect in return. I would love to hear them complain that their checks got lost in the mail so they can feel our pain when we don't get paid. I would never think of screwing the person that keeps my children safe, loved and happy when I am unable to be there. This is her first wk here, not a great feeling on this family.
momma2girls 04:56 PM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
So, this new family started last Monday. We are not off to a good start. The mom requested to pay for services thru my online payments. I set her up and she was supposed to pay while at work on Friday. I accidently put $10 too much on her invoice so she sent me an email. I fixed it and sent an email back appologizing. No payment. I called her at home and she said she would pay it that evening. No payment. Here it is Sunday and still no payment. I have sent 2 reminder invoices. My policy is $10 per day payment is late. Problem is, instead of me giving her the paperwork she requested I email it so she can print it out and sign it and then keep the email on her account for reference. Ok, no big deal. Except every day Monday thru Friday she did not returnt he paperwork. Her husband was out of town and she could not get to it. So here I am, no payment, no contract which means I can't enforce the late fee either. I will be letting her know tonight that I will not be accepting her children Monday without full payment AND the signed contracts.

I am just so frustrated. Why is it that parents think we don't deserve to be paid on time. All we do for them and their children and no respect in return. I would love to hear them complain that their checks got lost in the mail so they can feel our pain when we don't get paid. I would never think of screwing the person that keeps my children safe, loved and happy when I am unable to be there. This is her first wk here, not a great feeling on this family.
THis is pathetic!! When I paid for daycare, we wouldn't have dreamed of ever not paying for daycare!!!! It was our top priority! These are taking care of our loved and precious one!!!!
momma2girls 05:00 PM 01-24-2010
You should definately have your payday on Mondays for the upcoming week!!!! THis would eliminate that!
momofboys 05:19 PM 01-24-2010

How annoying! How did she react when you told her she had to pay prior to bringing the kids & contracts? I'm sorry you have to go through this. I started with a new family this past week also. I was so happy b/c the mom said she wanted to pay me upfront for two weeks rather than just for one. I was glad to be starting off in the right direction. I hope your parent does the same!
tymaboy 06:23 PM 01-24-2010
Could you print the contract off for her & make her sign it Monday morning (assuming that she pays you)?
gbcc 06:34 PM 01-24-2010
Iowa Daycare, thank you. Those are my thoughts exactly!! It really says something about how much you respect your provider and what they do.

Janarae - She did not answer the phone when I called so I don't know how she will react. I did leave a message that I needed to speak to her right away regarding her payment and that I expected a call prior to her dropping her children off. 9:30 here and still no call. It would be very rude if she just shows up tomorrow at 6am with no call.

Tymaboy - I offered everyday this wk to give her hard copies I had. She assured me each time that she didn't want me to waste my paper has she would print if off at home. I spoke to her Friday evening and she again assured me that she would bring them Monday. Apparently because her husband is home now she will be able to have the time. At this point I am not even willing to offer her hard copies just to make a point. If she doesn't bring them Monday I will send her home to get them and if she request a hard copy I will tell her I interviewed a family who may be taking her spot because I didn't get paid and I didn't get a chance to print off more copies!

Every excuse was because her husband was out of town. Well no offense but boo hoo! I am a single mom and I don't get so flustered I forget to take care of her kids! Oh well, thanks for listening to me vent. I will update you tomorrow as to what happens!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:06 PM 01-24-2010
I know EXACTLY how you feel!! The family with the difficult boy I watch had me on a chase for my money a couple of times...telling me they would bring it by and "X" time and never showed...meanwhile I'm waiting home for them to show and couldn't run erronds because I was waiting. And one week bounced a check, I was so upset. They did take care of it so I was thankful, but chasing after the money I earn shouldn't happen when I specifically state Friday's are my pay day, and Sunday rolls around and they casually bring it by. At least I got paid, but it's the point...shows no respect and makes me feel under-appreciated for all I do when they know he is a handful.

It is completely rude...I detest parents like this. This is our paycheck, I hope she pays you and doesn't just jet. Had that happen too many years ago.
mamajennleigh 04:35 AM 01-25-2010
It sounds like this mom might be trying to evade capture, so to speak. She knows she owes the money, and I can't believe she hasn't gotten your emails/messages, so what gives?

I'll never understand why people treat their caregivers as if they have all the money in the world to sit around and wait on payment. It's as if the people taking care of their children are the last on the list of priorities.

I think you are right to require it all up front this morning before taking the children again. This might put things back on the right track before they get too far gone.

I'm dying to know if she called/showed up!
AfterSchoolMom 07:00 AM 01-25-2010
From now on, require the contract and payment UP FRONT before you begin keeping the children. No contract, no payment, no care...period! At this point when she comes to pick them up today, I'd tell her that they are not welcome tomorrow unless she arrives with money/signed contract in hand. Don't take excuses!
jen 07:21 AM 01-25-2010
Yikes! I hope that they show and they didn't just swindle you out of a free week of daycare. It is parents like this who ruin it for everyone!
Persephone 08:28 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Yikes! I hope that they show and they didn't just swindle you out of a free week of daycare. It is parents like this who ruin it for everyone!
Yes! I'm wondering what happened this morning.
gbcc 08:42 AM 01-25-2010
Well, this morning I woke up and checked my email and the mom had made the online payment. She did end up coming with the signed contracts! She said that she thought she had paid it on Friday. I informed her that for now on she could either do the recurring payments or that she could take her chances and pay wkly. I told her if she paid wkly she would not get reminder emails she would get new invoices that include the daily late payment fee. She agreed to do the recurring payments! I feel bad for being a b- about it but she wouldn't like it if she lost a few hours of payment in her check.

Thanks again for listening to me vent!
Persephone 09:06 AM 01-25-2010
Well, this morning I woke up and checked my email and the mom had made the online payment. She did end up coming with the signed contracts! She said that she thought she had paid it on Friday. I informed her that for now on she could either do the recurring payments or that she could take her chances and pay wkly. I told her if she paid wkly she would not get reminder emails she would get new invoices that include the daily late payment fee. She agreed to do the recurring payments! I feel bad for being a b- about it but she wouldn't like it if she lost a few hours of payment in her check.

Glad you got paid finally. I'd love to know what program on use for online payments.
gbcc 09:24 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
Glad you got paid finally. I'd love to know what program on use for online payments.
I use minute menu. I love it! You can invoice them so they have to log on and pay you or you can set up recurring invoices where every Friday at noon they automatically take the payment out of the parents account.
momma2girls 09:25 AM 01-25-2010
THank GOD you received payment!!! You always worry about payment, when you hear of something like this, been there, done that!!!!!
Have a great week!!!
Carole's Daycare 09:25 AM 01-25-2010
I'm glad you finally got paid. When I interview I tell them all pay is in advance, so they have to bring all paperwork- contracts, shots, the works, in with payment for 1st week/two week prior to starting, unless its county pay (then copays up front and written confirmation from county that I will be paid) I learned the hard way. I've had people bounce checks and move, people forget continually, or even just get laid off and not be willing to pay notice. Now people pay Friday for the upcoming week (or two week period) and if they forget Friday they have to pay Monday at drop off with the late fee. Sounds like this lady has trouble being organized, so she'll need reminders to update immunization records, BIG NOTES on the door reminding her of upcoming paid holidays etc. Best of luck.
momma2girls 09:34 AM 01-25-2010
I know started a monthly newletter of important reminders for activities, etc. then we welcome new daycare friends- then if I have anything that needs to be addressed, I place it in here!!
gbcc 09:35 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
Sounds like this lady has trouble being organized, so she'll need reminders to update immunization records, BIG NOTES on the door reminding her of upcoming paid holidays etc. Best of luck.
What kills me is everything is so clearly spelled out in the handbook and policies! Just read it!! (before you sign!)
Carole's Daycare 10:17 AM 01-25-2010
I know- my policy and contract are very clear. Unfortunately I have found it easier to REMIND families periodically. I use my monthly newsletter to post articles about bottles, the need for nap, potty training, behaviors- in a real newsletter type format with cited sources. Of course our upcoming schedule and themes etc are there too. I put signs on my door to remind people of holidays, pay prior to holidays etc just because then there is no excuse to forget. It may look like this

REMINDER: Per contract payday is the last scheduled day prior
to a HOLIDAY. Bills are due Wednesday this week as I am closed
Thanksgiving and the Friday after. LATE FEES WILL BE Charged for
non-compliance. Thank You and Happy Thanksgiving.
I laminate them and save them to re-use. I know I shouldn't have to, but Mom's get busy and this way there is no excuse.
Chickenhauler 10:47 AM 01-25-2010

There is no reason to feel bad about anything.

You were merely being a smart business person and enforcing and reiterating your written policy about payments and the consequences of them not being made in a timely manner.

Does your bank "feel bad" when they call you up if you're late on a payment or whack you with a late for your late house payment? Nope.

Why should you?

It's business, not personal.
gbcc 10:48 AM 01-25-2010
Very good way of putting it! I am sure this mom's bank doesn't care if the husband is out of town either!
Chickenhauler 10:54 AM 01-25-2010
Very good way of putting it! I am sure this mom's bank doesn't care if the husband is out of town either!
I get all kinds of excuses in my business....excuses why they don't have the product ready to ship on time, excuses why the reciever doesn't have dock space to unload at the appt time, excuses why brokers are slow in getting payment out, etc etc.

My standard response is "I'm supposed to care why.....................?"

I just add in fees for hourly detention or late pay.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:57 AM 01-25-2010
I heard something years ago that applies to this mom,...

lack of preperation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
gbcc 07:41 AM 02-12-2010
Ugh, here we go again 2 wks later and no payment yet again. She agreed to do the recurring invoice so that I don't have to worry about getting paid. She claims she hasn't had time to get online and do it. She said at drop off that she would either bring cash back or go online and pay it before the kids left for school. It's almost lunch time and no darn payment.

I need the money, but not the aggrivation. I may have to let this family go. I babysit her children not her and I shouldn't have to chase her around for my freakin check. I even called her last night to remind her. That's uncalled for. I wish just once her check would get lost in the mail and she would get the picture.
momma2girls 08:20 AM 02-12-2010
Ugh, here we go again 2 wks later and no payment yet again. She agreed to do the recurring invoice so that I don't have to worry about getting paid. She claims she hasn't had time to get online and do it. She said at drop off that she would either bring cash back or go online and pay it before the kids left for school. It's almost lunch time and no darn payment.

I need the money, but not the aggrivation. I may have to let this family go. I babysit her children not her and I shouldn't have to chase her around for my freakin check. I even called her last night to remind her. That's uncalled for. I wish just once her check would get lost in the mail and she would get the picture.
What if you changed your payday to be on Mondays at the beginning of the week? I changed my policy about 4 yrs. ago, and it has worked wonderfully!!!
Then if not paid on Monday for the upcoming week, there will be late fees.
gbcc 08:28 AM 02-12-2010
Well after last time, she had the choice of recurring invoice where it's automatically taken out of her account and put in mine or the choice to pay Mondays for that wk. She choose automatic payments because she said she didn't want to risk forgetting her check.

I'm also angry because today is our Valentines Party and they are the only family that did not bring something in. I mean come on they are a dollar, with 3 kids that means $3 plus tax. Thats just not fair to the other children but they will make out of it'
Persephone 08:32 AM 02-12-2010
Well after last time, she had the choice of recurring invoice where it's automatically taken out of her account and put in mine or the choice to pay Mondays for that wk. She choose automatic payments because she said she didn't want to risk forgetting her check.

I'm also angry because today is our Valentines Party and they are the only family that did not bring something in. I mean come on they are a dollar, with 3 kids that means $3 plus tax. Thats just not fair to the other children but they will make out of it'
If it's automatic why did it just not come out on it's own? Did she not set it up?
gbcc 09:02 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
If it's automatic why did it just not come out on it's own? Did she not set it up?
Right, I have asked her every day since Tuesday to make sure she sets it up. She claims she is just so busy. she has 3 kids, all in different scout troops/dens so they are always busy. They get here at 5:30am. If she can't even log onto the computer after a wk what does she think it is doing to her children that have to go to daycare after being up all night and then going to school?
Persephone 09:04 AM 02-12-2010
Right, I have asked her every day since Tuesday to make sure she sets it up. She claims she is just so busy. she has 3 kids, all in different scout troops/dens so they are always busy. They get here at 5:30am. If she can't even log onto the computer after a wk what does she think it is doing to her children that have to go to daycare after being up all night and then going to school?
I think she's full of it. Let her know at pick up that she owes you the late fee if not paid at (what ever time you have it that you close or in your contract that it's due).
momma2girls 09:08 AM 02-12-2010
I agree!! If she cannot pay you on Mon. in person- there will be late fees started!!!
gbcc 09:10 AM 02-12-2010
She doesn't pick the kids up. They go home on the bus. All my parents know that if I don't have payment by 5:30pm at close that a late fee is assessed. I do not allow drop offs on wkends or after 5:30 as this is my family time. So that is automatically a $30 fee (Friday-Sunday). Come Monday, if not paid they are not allowed back.

I should change it to $10 per day per child! That would be $90 if she wants to continue with this charade each wk.
momma2girls 09:50 AM 02-12-2010
She doesn't pick the kids up. They go home on the bus. All my parents know that if I don't have payment by 5:30pm at close that a late fee is assessed. I do not allow drop offs on wkends or after 5:30 as this is my family time. So that is automatically a $30 fee (Friday-Sunday). Come Monday, if not paid they are not allowed back.

I should change it to $10 per day per child! That would be $90 if she wants to continue with this charade each wk.
I had to change my late fee to $10.00 per day, due to one family would pay $5.00 per day late fee!!!
tymaboy 10:47 AM 02-12-2010
Yep. Be sure to charge her the late fee & tell her 1 more time & they will be terminated & if you are not paid by XX time you will see them in small claims.
safechner 01:18 PM 02-12-2010
I can't believe she do that to you again. I don't believe her that she don't have time to pay online. Is that mean she don't have time to pay her bills? What a joke! I think she is trying to get away from it. I would terminate her for sure because it is likely she will do it again. I hope she will bring it up to you today so go ahead charge her late fee!
gbcc 02:03 PM 02-12-2010
I really thought after last wk she learned. Last wk, I reminded her Friday morning, called her Friday night, sent her an email with the late charges added on, and then called her Sunday. Finally Monday morning at like 4am she paid it.

Then we agreed she would do the automated payments so that I didn't have to babysit her. I reminded her Wednesday, then Thursday, and then today. Come on seriously. You forget that often?? It's a lot of money too, almost $300. Thats not an amount to fool around with!
Tags:payments
Reply Up