Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Ask For Payment?
SunflowerMama 06:05 PM 04-23-2010
I take payment on Fridays for the upcoming week. I hate confrontation so at the beginning I will email payment reminders. Well today I had mom drop-off and no payment, dad picks up...no payment. They bounced a check to me two weeks ago and then came last week with 2 weeks payment cash (one to cover the bounced check week and one for this week we just finished). So I figured we were good and they would pay today...but nothing.

I emailed mom after dad picked up dkg but nothing so far. They live in the same neighborhood so thought they would just swing it by this evening but haven't heard anything from them.

How do you ask for payment face-to-face??
sahm2three 06:19 PM 04-23-2010
I would just call and politely say, "Hi there, you know, it slipped my mind as I am sure it did yours, but your daycare bill was due today. I will be home this evening so you can just run it by any time tonight." Or if you aren't going to be home tell them to slip it in your mailbox or something. Mention that you will make a bank run in the morning. Good luck! This is HARD!!!
momma2girls 06:33 PM 04-23-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I would just call and politely say, "Hi there, you know, it slipped my mind as I am sure it did yours, but your daycare bill was due today. I will be home this evening so you can just run it by any time tonight." Or if you aren't going to be home tell them to slip it in your mailbox or something. Mention that you will make a bank run in the morning. Good luck! This is HARD!!!
I have had to call families as well on it. Do you have late fees in your contract? Well at least you didn't watch the children all week without any money, you are doing it before hand. My pay day is on Mon. for the upcoming week, I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck and let us know what ends up happening!
jen 06:38 PM 04-23-2010
I have a friend who is also a provider...she calls and says, "hey, I'm on my way to the bank, I thought I would swing by and grab my check! Thanks, see you in a few!"

She says she generally only has to do that ONCE and people pay on time!
momma2girls 06:49 PM 04-23-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I have a friend who is also a provider...she calls and says, "hey, I'm on my way to the bank, I thought I would swing by and grab my check! Thanks, see you in a few!"

She says she generally only has to do that ONCE and people pay on time!
THis is a good one as well!!!
Vesta 06:56 PM 04-23-2010
You hire a heavy.

Don't you wish.
I'm horrible at asking for payment. It sets me to shaking and dry mouth every time, even though I know I'm in the right.

Maybe you could write up an invoice and continue to hand them a new one the evening prior to payment being due?
QualiTcare 07:19 PM 04-23-2010
that's a tough one. my old boss had a hard time confronting anyone, and i used to tell her to come and get me when she needed something taken care of cus i have no problem being blunt (obviously). of course she didn't do that because it wasn't professional, and i was joking....

but what she would do is put an 8.5x11 note on the child's cubby that said, you have a balance of..blah blah blah. your late fee is X. please make a payment today. if they didn't pay that day, she would do the same thing the following day, and there was a 5.00 per day late fee which she added with each note. that's one approach - and it's also hard for the parent to ignore since it's so obvious.

my contract had a section entitled "late fees" and said, "no late payments accepted. pay on time!" my money is due on friday for the upcoming week. i really haven't had a problem, but if a parent didn't pay on friday morning - i'd probably just say in the afternoon, "hey, did you bring a check for next week by any chance? i plan to make a deposit tonight."
Unregistered 07:42 PM 04-23-2010
I require a five day deposit. I add 5 days to the first bill. Then when a parent 'forgets' to pay me They have 5 days to pay. I usually give them a nice warning on day 4 of being late. Hey I just wanted to remind you that you are behind 4 days tomorrow is the last day the Suzy will be able to come. I say it just like that as they are walking out the door on day 4 of being late.

Again, this usually only takes once, and it also keeps me from getting screwed out of the money they owe me.
pigletsmommy 07:58 PM 04-23-2010
I have had this problem too, and its been over the last 6 weeks or so. I am not good at confrontation. The worst part is the mom & I are (or used to be) very good friends. Last weekend she announced to me that she was quitting her job on friday (today). Because she is a friend I let her slide and pay me at the end of the week for the current week. Do you think she paid me today? Nope. She does not have a new job to go to... so I doubt I will see my money.

Honestly I am just relieved not to have to stress over this anymore. Its been every week I have to hound them to pay on time.

I posted about this a few weeks ago and someone suggested placing a bill or note in the child's cubby hole. I think thats a great idea for "forgetful" parents.
SunflowerMama 03:54 AM 04-24-2010
I shot her an email last night but if I don't hear from them today I might give her a call. I have a $10/day late fee in my contract so hopefully she'll get my message this morning and swing the check by before the bank closes. I hate to ask for $$ and I really like the idea of notes with their balance in their bags.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
originalkat 04:58 AM 04-24-2010
I also print an invoice with their balance and put it in their mailbox above the cubbies.
The parents are in the habit of picking up the papers everyday. So when they have a blance due on Monday, I put it in there with it highlighted on Friday so that there is no question.
momofboys 07:35 AM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I shot her an email last night but if I don't hear from them today I might give her a call. I have a $10/day late fee in my contract so hopefully she'll get my message this morning and swing the check by before the bank closes. I hate to ask for $$ and I really like the idea of notes with their balance in their bags.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
I'm sorry the parent never got back to you. I would honestly call them & say you were going to the bank & needed your check! Don't rely on the mom checking her e-mail, maybe she hasn't or maybe she has & just doesn;t want to pay. Call!!!
momma2girls 08:26 AM 04-24-2010
I would definately be calling them about the money that they owe you, and do say you are going to the bank with everyone's. Also remind them of the late fee per day, that you do have. Keep calling and calling and leaving messages on all of the #'s they gave you!
I remember there was a time with a daycare family bounced 2 checks, by the time I got my first one back. SO needless to say, it was $450.00 taken out of my bank acct. plus $50.00 fees!!!! I called the family on both #'s continously for about 5 hrs. every 1/2 hr. I left message after message with them. Finally after the 5 hrs. I finally told them, what was written in my contract, about late fees, and if any of our checks bounce, as a result of their $500.00 being taken out of our acct. they were responsible for all of them as well. At $25.00 a check, there could be alot of ours bouncing!!! In about 3 min. she called back and said they would be there with the cash that day. They did come over with it, after they went to the ATM- I am so glad that I had that backfire statement written in my contract as well!!! Good luck with everything!!! It sucks!!!
jen 10:40 AM 04-24-2010
Update?

I hate when parents make me chase after MY money!
Former Teacher 07:03 AM 04-25-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
that's a tough one. my old boss had a hard time confronting anyone, and i used to tell her to come and get me when she needed something taken care of cus i have no problem being blunt (obviously). of course she didn't do that because it wasn't professional, and i was joking....
My former director would ALWAYS make me (her assistant) do her her dirty work

Anyway I would tell the parent that I was told that I could not admit So and So without a payment. I was in an easier position because even though my former boss didn't do it I would put the blame on her saying she told me.

Oh I had the parents that would tell me...oh I left my checkbook at home..let me leave So and So and run home really quick. Um no..you take So and So. So and So can not stay here with payment.

No pay..No play!
MarinaVanessa 07:22 AM 04-25-2010
[quote=Former Teacher;26721]
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

Oh I had the parents that would tell me...oh I left my checkbook at home..let me leave So and So and run home really quick. Um no..you take So and So. So and So can not stay here with payment.

No pay..No play!
Yup, families pay in advance here and I have the same policy. If they don't have the dough, they take their kid in tow. Hasn't happened often but it has happened.
tymaboy 05:20 AM 04-26-2010
I would not take the child this morning unless they have payment in hand (with late fees) It sounds like you have reminded them & they know what your rules are. If you do not follow your own rules then they will do it again & again & even start other issues.
SunflowerMama 05:36 AM 04-26-2010
I got the payment last night (with the late fee) after a follow-up phone call. Here's hoping the check clears ok.
Kenny 05:40 AM 04-26-2010
Can you delete stuff on here
QualiTcare 06:01 AM 04-26-2010
Originally Posted by Kenny:
Can you delete stuff on here
there's probably another way, but if you want to delete a post right now, i would just hit EDIT at the bottom of the post and then clear it out, or change it.
judytrickett 07:49 AM 04-26-2010
I don't have payment problems because I will not accept payment problems.

If you are a parent with a payment problem then you just became a parent with a child care problem because Judy won't care for kids for whom she has not been paid.

And yes, I mean, every single word of that above.

I make it VERY clear early on that payment problems will NOT happen or I will terminate them.
Tags:friday, payment
Reply Up