Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Payment Collection Question - WWYD?
SunflowerMama 10:47 AM 12-12-2010
I have a quick question about collecting payment over the holidays.

My only paid vacation during the year is the week after Christmas.

So my last day open before the holidays is Thursday the 23rd. I re-open on Monday the 3rd.

Payments are due every Friday for the following week. So on the 23rd families will pay for the week after Christmas that I will be closed.

Then the next payment would be due on the 31st for the 1st week of January but I am closed that whole week.

Should I....

1) Ask for the payment due on the 31st to be paid on the 23rd since I will be closed on the 31st. (I just think 2 weeks at once would be hard for some of my families)

2) Ask parents to drop off payment on the 31st even though I will be closed that day.

3) Give them the option of #1 or #2

4) Allow them to just pay for that 1st week of Jan on the 3rd when everyone is back. And then they would turn around and have another payment 4 days later.

Any advice would be great! I'd love to send out an email this weekend with my reminder about holiday dates and payment dates.
marniewon 10:50 AM 12-12-2010
I think I would give the families a choice of all that you mentioned. Let them decide what would work best for them, unless you need the money on a certain date.

Actually, what I would probably do, now that I think about it, ask them to write a post-dated check for the 31st and give it to you with their 23rd payment.
KEG123 10:53 AM 12-12-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I think I would give the families a choice of all that you mentioned. Let them decide what would work best for them, unless you need the money on a certain date.

Actually, what I would probably do, now that I think about it, ask them to write a post-dated check for the 31st and give it to you with their 23rd payment.
I was thinking what you were thinking at first, but I really like the second idea you came up with.
SunflowerMama 10:53 AM 12-12-2010
The post-dated checks are a very good idea.
nannyde 11:07 AM 12-12-2010
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I have a quick question about collecting payment over the holidays.

My only paid vacation during the year is the week after Christmas.

So my last day open before the holidays is Thursday the 23rd. I re-open on Monday the 3rd.

Payments are due every Friday for the following week. So on the 23rd families will pay for the week after Christmas that I will be closed.

Then the next payment would be due on the 31st for the 1st week of January but I am closed that whole week.

Should I....

1) Ask for the payment due on the 31st to be paid on the 23rd since I will be closed on the 31st. (I just think 2 weeks at once would be hard for some of my families)

2) Ask parents to drop off payment on the 31st even though I will be closed that day.

3) Give them the option of #1 or #2

4) Allow them to just pay for that 1st week of Jan on the 3rd when everyone is back. And then they would turn around and have another payment 4 days later.

Any advice would be great! I'd love to send out an email this weekend with my reminder about holiday dates and payment dates.
Don't give up one of your days off to collect payments. It can end up being a lot of texting and arranging to get them to get it to you.

Have them give you the post dated checks for any of the paydays you will be off.

Don't let them wait till they return in January to give you the money. It's HARD for people to stay on a budget over Christmas. You could be setting yourself up for a lot of issues at the first of the year. If you can get cash upfront on their last day of attendance. If you have clients that have had any payment issues put their post dated checks in the day you know they get paid... first thing in the morning.
Blackcat31 12:10 PM 12-12-2010
I have the same situation and I have those that write checks give me a post dated check for the day payment is due and for those who pay cash; they have to have the payment IN FULL at drop off the next open business day. NO CASH...NO SERVICES.
Mom&Provider 01:14 PM 12-12-2010
Giving a choice seems best...that way they decide if they want/can afford the double payment or not in the same week or they could post date, which also makes alot of sense!
Tags:payment, payment collection, wwyd
Reply Up