Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I need help!
Unregistered 11:32 AM 01-06-2016
I am usually pretty good at writing letters to parents, but am having a hard time with this one. I have provided in home childcare for the past 15 years and now I am deciding to start a "teachers schedule". I have to break the news to my current families that I will be off in the summer and with school breaks. Please help!
rosieteddy 11:43 AM 01-06-2016
Good for you.Is there a reason for the change,your own children or family responsibilities? If so just send a letter when you are obliged to by your contract. If you are starting this summer I would send a letter at the end of May.That gives them a month to find alternate care. If you give it to early they will leave as soon as they get care. Good luck.
daycare 06:33 PM 01-06-2016
I guess my question is, do they have to be a teacher to enroll or do they just have to be able to follow the school district calendar like teachers??
momofsix 06:43 AM 01-07-2016
I also do this and LOVE it! Most of my families are teachers, so it only impacts a few that actually need care during school breaks. I gave notice to my families a whole year beforehand-I told them in January that I would provide care for one last summer. It's hard to find care around here and I wanted to give them all plenty of notice. No one quit, most were happy for me and they all were able to find summer nannies or relatives.
I don't remember the exact wording of my letter. One of my reasons for summers off is bc I didn't want school agers anymore. I said something along the lines of "your school aged child's needs will be better met either with a nanny or a daycamp that can provide activities geared toward their older age" As new families enroll I let them know right away, before they enroll what the deal is-haven't had anyone have a problem with it.
I also hand out a calendar in January with my closed days on it. Christmas vacation and spring break are marked as closed, but I don't make a big deal of it-that's just when I'm closed. I don't take off conference days etc, since the teachers usually still have to work.

Dear Parents
Beginning this summer, I will no longer be providing summer care. I will be closed from June 8 through August 25 (whatever dates you choose obviously) If you need help finding care the # for child care referral is 123-4567.
Thank you,
CCP that needs a break
Reply Up