Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bending the rules and wanting more....HELP
daycare 04:49 PM 09-23-2011
Let me change this.

I have a DCF that is always asking to bend the rules. It never fails every month it’s something else. Most of the time it’s not a big deal so I say ok. The family has been here for over 2 years and has really not given me any other issues besides wanting *SPECIAL* without having to pay for special. Right now my DC enrollment is very low and this family is the majority of my income. They know this and I feel this is why I am getting pushed around.

I have already given the family vacation days unpaid even though they did not follow policy. EX. Policy states that each family will have 5 consecutive days off unpaid with 2 weeks notice. I bent the rules and gave it to them even though they did not give notice and did not use consecutively.

Now they want more discounts. At some point I have to draw the line. How do I put it nicely that I am not going to let them bend the rules any more? This family is one that if I say the wrong things to I know would leave. I can't afford for this so I am eating out of the palms of their hands....HELP!!
Nellie 04:59 PM 09-23-2011
I'll be honest I don't understand how your discount works, but tell the family that the discount is only for days paid.
daycare 05:09 PM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
I'll be honest I don't understand how your discount works, but tell the family that the discount is only for days paid.
lol i just realized I forgot to write that in..

ok so I give a montly discount of lets say 5% off the total monthly bill....
So if the bill is $500.00 then I would give a $25 discount. this would be the daily rate x 20days in the month..

However, this family was only here for 14 days.... so the monthly bill is less. ex lets say it was only $400.00. so it would only be a $20.00 discount..This family wants the higher discount and the unpaid days off.

it is only a very small amount of money we are talking about but here is my other issue. I have already allowed for them to break policy and take their unpaid days without notice and not according to the contract. NOw this.

At some point I have to say NO. sorry I already bent the rules for you, this is the way it is and I am not allowing it any more. I guess i should posted it this way the first time. Every month this family is asking for **SPECIAL** without having to pay for **SPECIAL**
bgmeyers 05:44 PM 09-23-2011
Just tell them they are already getting a heck of a deal and you can't do any more. Then smile sweetly. And from now on, follow your P & P to the letter.....it's hard, especially if you've let them slide in the past, but I know how the resentment can build, so I don't do anything except by the book.
daycare 05:56 PM 09-23-2011
lol.....trust me when I say I wish it were that easy....
I have some really great parents, in fact I just had one that asked me to please add on late fees to her bill, becuase she was late and felt bad that I said I won't take her extra money. But this family has been here also 2 years and has been late like one other time in the history of them being here....
And then there is this family!!!! lol

I have to come up with something really nice and sugary to say.......UGH..
cheerfuldom 06:16 PM 09-23-2011
ummm....they really have you cornered. there is nothing you can say that will matter much to them. at this point, its about actions. you have already given in so many times so they have no issue with asking you for more. you have to decide where to draw the line regardless of income.
daycare 06:28 PM 09-23-2011
Cheer I know what you are saying it it's sounding like I have zero backbone. Honest I do. I have no issue putting my foot down this time and say ENOUGH. But like I said, I need to do it with much grace. I know there's a way to be firm and nice at the same time I just don't know how.... Lol. Really I wish I could say. Follow the darn rules or beat it.
And yes, I would miss this family on many ways if they left.
Reply Up