Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>45 Min Sleeper
Unregistered- signed out 10:15 AM 09-23-2011
What do you do with the infant, 4 months, that only sleeps 45 min (EXACTLY)? Mom and dad swear she will sleep 2-3 hours if she is wrapped and in swing/bouncy. Both are not options here at daycare. Basically she is miserable, she sleeps 45 min, wakes (sometimes crying sometimes happy) however very soon after she wants to go back to sleep or gets totally upset because of lack of sleep. She will go to bed on her own- 25% on her own with no tears fussing etc, the other 75% with CIO which when done every 45 min is really annoying me- and the other daycare kids.

Ideas?
2ndFamilyDC 10:18 AM 09-23-2011
Unfortunately I am having the same problem here with a 4 mth old. Gets to be a really long day for me without a real break.
wdmmom 10:19 AM 09-23-2011
Teach her that she can't wake up and expect results. The sooner you show her no results, the easier you will have it.

You may need to put her in a separate sleeping area for a few weeks but don't go rushing to her, pick her up, etc. when she wakes up after 45 minutes. She needs to learn to self soothe and go back to sleep.

It could also be that she needs complete dark to sleep or music or some sort of white noise.
cheerfuldom 10:23 AM 09-23-2011
you can't swaddle at all? not even wit a halo sleep sack or something that is not a blanket? is there any options for sleeping with motion or inclined? thats tough for such a young baby when mama does something different at home.
Unregistered 01:09 PM 09-23-2011
We are allowed to get them to sleep using a swing or bouncer but can not leave them in one once they are asleep- hence the startle awakining after the first 45 min REM sleep cycle. We can not wrap them, we can use a blanket to hold them securely to the pnp. It has to be from the waist down with no arms included and must go tightly over them and right to the ends of the pnp, tucked under the bottom. Kinda like a strap holding them down. Trouble is the little ones flap their arms so much if they are not wrapped they started themselves awake.

I have tried to leave her once she wakes the one time but once she starts screaming she doesn't go back to sleep. After I leave her a bit (and she is still crying) I get her out and 30-40 min later all she wants to do is go back to bed. I just can't do the newborn sleep wake sleep wake all day with no break for the other kids. I cant even make a meal without her either wanting to get up or go to sleep somewhere in the middle. My dck are getting annoyed that she is controlling so much of the group. I have never had an infant on such as short pattern cycle.
cheerfuldom 03:19 PM 09-23-2011
sounds like your only option is hard-core CIO. she stays in there and eventually she will learn to go back to sleep. probably will be a rough few weeks.
Tags:sleep - length, sleep time
Reply Up