Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default What To Do

i posted about this once but i just dont know... i had a dck that just started. He takes adha medication well one day he told his father i didnt give it to him(i did), well now everyday the dcd looks at dck and says remember take your pill, it makes me feel like he thinks im lying. And on top of that one day his son had a fever of 102 so i sent him home well today i said do you feel better the dad was like "it didnt last long gave him tylenol and it was gone" like in an a hole tone... i feel like the dad is gonna be a major problem and im already irritated!! what to do should i term i already know they are gonna be a problem family.. the baby cries and screams constantly and the dad is an a hole the older child is a liar and pain in the but.... they are only part time... what to do????
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Advanced Daycare Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla View Post
i posted about this once but i just dont know... i had a dck that just started. He takes adha medication well one day he told his father i didnt give it to him(i did), well now everyday the dcd looks at dck and says remember take your pill, it makes me feel like he thinks im lying. And on top of that one day his son had a fever of 102 so i sent him home well today i said do you feel better the dad was like "it didnt last long gave him tylenol and it was gone" like in an a hole tone... i feel like the dad is gonna be a major problem and im already irritated!! what to do should i term i already know they are gonna be a problem family.. the baby cries and screams constantly and the dad is an a hole the older child is a liar and pain in the but.... they are only part time... what to do????
Why are you the one administering the medication? I would never want that responsibility. Why can't the parents do it? I would turn that job back over to the parents. LOL about the Tylenol - of course it didn't last long - the Tylenol made his fever subside at least temporarily. I'm sorry this family is not working out well. I would mark a date on the calendar (a month away) & if you still feel that way or they have caused more problems then term.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would give it one more month and make a star if the problem does fix itself then I would term.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 AM
New Daycare.com Member

love your ideas marking date on calandar now thanks guys!!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Advanced Daycare Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymom View Post
I would give it one more month and make a star if the problem does fix itself then I would term.
great minds think alike!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 AM

I don't understand at all why you are the one administering this medication! That is a huge liability for you. I would not feel comfortable doing this at all; especially with the comment of dcd "don't forget to take it"

About the fever, I had the same exact thing happen yesterday to me. Except I don't allow them to come back until fever free for 24 hrs without fever reducing medication. Even after explaining this to dcm; she texted later saying her child was feeling fine after tylenol and she would bring tylenol tomorrow in case I needed to give it to her. Of course the child is feeling better after tylenol! That's what it's for! Doesn't mean her child is magically no longer sick or contagious!! So dcm kept child home today after I had to explain my policy again.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

As a provider you have the choice to administer meds or not, but if you choose to, you should ALWAYS have a log of meds adminstered. I have one for each child. It has the date, time, amount, and what type of medication was adminstered. I even use it for over the counter meds and topicals, like benedryl, diaper cream, sunscreen, vasaline, chapstick.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM

I will administer OTC, but even I would be reluctant to administer ADHD meds. I would tell the parents that you are uncomfortable dealing with these meds and would prefer they give them to the child at home or at school. Many kids take the meds at school.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM

It is your choice...but as a Mother of an ADHD child I'd recommend you not giving the medication. We are instructed by our physicians to do it ourselves as PART of a treatment plan that includes a consistent morning routine. The meds are only a small part of treatment that includes self regulation, time management and organizational skills.

The public school won't even do it, anymore, without specific doctors orders (most meds are 8-12hr, graduated slow release, now). The medication logs must be on file for two years AFTER giving them as well. There are things that cannot be consumed with the meds and symptoms to watch out for. It is also VERY time dependent.

It sounds like you already don't care for this family and know what should be done, though. Don't feel bad about it, knowing your limitations and needs is half the battle to a successful program. Go with your gut.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Just wondering, for those of you that are familiar (Catherder)... how often are these meds supposed to be administered? I have not yet had any experience with ADHD... well at least not a diagnosed case of ADHD.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM

agree with the others, I wouldn't want to give the meds, but I could see it being necessary if he eats bfast with you and needs to take them with food or something. So if you are going to continue giving meds I suggest keeping a log like someone else said and since it sounds like child is old enough so I would have the CHILD initial that they took it too. Just as an extra measure. When my DD was a baby and in a daycare center they had to give her a daily dose of medicine. Instead of filling out the form that they use for giving meds on an occassional basis we had a log to sign every day - the provider filled in with the date, time and dosage she gave and when I picked up I had to sign that I saw it. That was the best solution for us at the time.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie View Post
Just wondering, for those of you that are familiar (Catherder)... how often are these meds supposed to be administered? I have not yet had any experience with ADHD... well at least not a diagnosed case of ADHD.
Once a day, with a hearty breakfast packed with protein (meds will keep them from eating all day Food tastes blah..and occasionally makes them gag. It makes the heart race for about 45 minutes from onset, then again mid-afternoon when the second round releases.). 8-12 hours are the normal hours of effectiveness. Some kids can go longer, some shorter...depending on how awesome their liver is.

There are some fast release pills available for after school activities, though. It buys them another 4 hours. Those are RARELY given until high school or College.

The bad thing about those, though, it that kids beg to buy them....so I'd NEVER let them go to school with a kids. Hand delivered to the nurse, in person, only.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Once a day, with a hearty breakfast packed with protein (meds will keep them from eating all day Food tastes blah..and occasionally makes them gag. It makes the heart race for about 45 minutes from onset, then again mid-afternoon when the second round releases.). 8-12 hours are the normal hours of effectiveness. Some kids can go longer, some shorter...depending on how awesome their liver is.

There are some fast release pills available for after school activities, though. It buys them another 4 hours. Those are RARELY given until high school or College.

The bad thing about those, though, it that kids beg to buy them....so I'd NEVER let them go to school with a kids. Hand delivered to the nurse, in person, only.
Wow, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

Every child is different and each med had different side effects. ds Took Ritalin and had no appitite problems it was every breakfast and lunch... life was easier when he went on a time released dose. as an adult his lasts about 8 hours still no appetite problems for him...

The heart racing I never heard of that. ds did not have that side effect I suppose.But then he has always been fine with a lower dose.

If it is the breakfast thing I would ask he eat at home and take his pill there.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
New Daycare.com Member

catherder i have a question you may be able to help me with... These parents say he is only supposed to take them on school days, arent these medications something that has to be taken consistently to work?? Also the bottle itself even says take everyday as directed, so my question is it just the parents trying to be dr's themselves and self diagnose?? i guess the question is why only on school days?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
catherder i have a question you may be able to help me with... These parents say he is only supposed to take them on school days, arent these medications something that has to be taken consistently to work?? Also the bottle itself even says take everyday as directed, so my question is it just the parents trying to be dr's themselves and self diagnose?? i guess the question is why only on school days?
Some kids have a medication/behavior modification plan that directs them to only receive meds on school days.

Depends on a lot of things, parent choice, child's individual needs, Dr.s opinion, meds he is taking, etc etc... there are so many variables that it takes time and patience to find a plan that works. Everyone is unique and what works for one child, doesn't always work for another.

With my own son, we opted to try school days/year only. He took a small dose of Strattera in the a.m. and another small dose in the afternoon. Gradually, (after 3 yrs) he stopped taking any meds at all and relied only on his learned behavior modification.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
It does depend on the medication. If they have a co-morbidity and take more than one med, the whole plan changes dramatically.

I do not have my son take his meds if he is not in school because he is home with me at those times and does not need to be still, organized and focused for 10 hours a day straight. BUT the bottle will still say take daily to keep the insurance company from kicking out the claim.

Shortages are notorious and there have been times where it has been over a week waiting for a re-fill...PLUS if you don't fill them on a monthly schedule, the insurance company quickly takes the opportunity to do another "needs assessment" to again, deny the claim.

It is a constant struggle...

Blackcat...we are working toward the self-regulation, behavior modification as well. Making HUGE strides this year... I am so proud of his progress.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Blackcat...we are working toward the self-regulation, behavior modification as well. Making HUGE strides this year... I am so proud of his progress.
So glad to hear it! I think, if I remember right, you son is about the right age where the self regulation does become a bit easier and more of something they can manage themselves because it starts being important to them at that age. Wishing him (and you) continued success!! It is definitely a process and one that is tough but VERY rewarding.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
My son only took them on school days or when we had something special on the weekend he did not take them in the summer. Dr agreed. He was not hyperactive so there was no need.

Though as an adult he takes them daily. His wife would likely leave if he did not. He gets distracted and short tempered when he does not And He smokes more.

They are not like an antiboitic

Tags
adhd - medication