Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Annoyed About Lice
Greenplasticwateringcans 10:48 AM 03-02-2012
One of my DCP called a few nights ago to tell me her son had lice. I checked my child and very thankfully she did not neither did I or my husband. DCB has been on vacation so who knows where he picked it up from. They are so contagious it'll be a miracle if my daughter doesn't get it. I cleaned and cleaned like crazy in case there was any eggs or live bugs in my house.

I said DCB can not come back until he is lice and nit free. He comes yesterday morning and was told all gone. DCD told me about everything he did and he checked fine. A few minutes after he left I saw a shinny nit in DCBs short hair, then more and more! Yuck! I called DCD to come pick up ASAP and he showed up within an hour. I didn't let DCB move from the craft table. I showed DCD and he was REALLY annoyed to have to pick up over a few nits. He was super defensive too and then started implying that he got them from my house as he checked "fine" this morning. I said my child does not have lice and DCB can not come back until he has no nits

So my question is do you think I should email and say that I will be inspecting his head at drop off on Monday?
JenNJ 10:57 AM 03-02-2012
Oh absolutely check him at drop off -- OUTSIDE! Lice are frustrating and hard to eradicate. Also it becomes expensive quickly. It could easily cost you a client or two if their children pick it up.
Springdaze 11:06 AM 03-02-2012
Its really a shame because its just a pain and not harmful but everyone equates it to being dirty. My dd had it when she was like 2 and luckily I had all african american children and they dont get it! I had kids that had it a few years ago and my dd got one bug in her hair and I treated her immediately and didnt have a problem. good luck!
safechner 11:12 AM 03-02-2012
It happened to me once when I had a dcg who had lice last December. Dcm texted to let me know that dcg have head lice and I freaked out. I cleaned the whole house and I checked everyone in the house and no one has it. I thank god because my daughters never never have lice head before. The next day, she had to stay home. I also got her texted to tell me all gone. I didn't checked her hair until this afternoon when I caught something move hairline to my other dcg and I took it out quick from her. After the dcg went home and I told her that she cann't come back within 24 hours if there is no more lice and she was annoyed but she was fine with that. I freaked out again and I took a dcg and two of my daughters to wash their hair so hard. Of course, my girls were cried about that. I feel bad about that but it was freak me out. I checked 3 of girls to make sure there are no eggs or nits or live at all. I cleaned the whole house again.

Two days later, the dcg came back and I checked her myself with my gloves on during outside and there is no more then I allowed her to come back in.

You would need an inspection outside to make sure there is all gone. I don't care what the parents think. It is your home and you want to make sure no daycare kids get from him.
Greenplasticwateringcans 11:13 AM 03-02-2012
I don't equate it to being dirty but rather expensive and really gross! Who wants bugs in their hair? Ive been itching all day lol
Lice like clean hair the best so a lot of people I know put hairspray at the bottoms of their daughters hair to attempt to repel the bugs.
Springdaze 11:28 AM 03-02-2012
and you cant just check once, you have to keep checking for a while because the eggs take a while to hatch.
saved4always 12:37 PM 03-02-2012
Definitely check him outside when he comes back! I would be so freaked out!

Does anyone know if putting hair spray on the bottom of hair works? Maybe I will start doing that to my dd in case it ever breaks out at school.
Kaddidle Care 02:57 PM 03-02-2012
There is a product called Fairy Tales that is supposed to help repel lice. Also peppermint scented anything.

You must check the child daily for 2 weeks.

We also have a no nit policy and it has been a saving grace for us. We do not have spread.

Unfortunately, the local High School doesn't take it seriously and it's practically an epidemic there.

Do tell your parents that a child there has had the lice and ask them to also check their children once a day for 2 weeks.

I check my own child once or twice a week even if there hasn't been an outbreak. It's not a hard task to check and worth every second.

http://www.headlice.org/
TexasMom 04:51 PM 03-10-2012
There are lots of preventative products, that work by repelling lice with scents they don't like, but Kaddidle Care is right ... the best way really is just to comb through your daughter's hair weekly.

http://www.kidsheadlice.com/preventing-head-lice.html
My3cents 11:22 AM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
Its really a shame because its just a pain and not harmful but everyone equates it to being dirty. My dd had it when she was like 2 and luckily I had all african american children and they dont get it! I had kids that had it a few years ago and my dd got one bug in her hair and I treated her immediately and didnt have a problem. good luck!
African American children do get Lice!!! I know from experience, from working in a center and it was not fun!!! I don't know where you got that information from-
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
African American children do get Lice!!! I know from experience, from working in a center and it was not fun!!! I don't know where you got that information from-

African-American children can absolutely get lice. It is less common, I think like .03% compared to 10% of other kids but they for sure can get it too.

http://headlicecenter.com/
bice99 12:22 PM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
African Americans have a different hair shaft structure, so they are less likely to end up with lice, but it is still possible.
Tags:lice, lice treatment, lice treatment - fairy tales, nits
Reply Up