Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tiny Vent But Still Annoying....
cheerfuldom 11:06 AM 07-22-2012
I have been emailing back and forth for about 6 weeks with a mom interested in daycare. I asked her several times to let me know what days and times she is needing for care and also said several times what my business hours are.

The interview was finally set but I told her I had to know what her daycare needs were to make sure we were not having an interview only to find out that I was not the right fit for her needs (which I had a feeling was the case). She finally says that she knows my business hours but will need drop off 15 min. early and pickup 15 min. later than my close time. Then says that she would do some partial days too on occasion but would still pay the full time rate, which wasnt a compromise because my contract says that I get paid the full daily rate no matter if a child is here only a partial day. She couldnt even tell me what days she would for need at what times so it sounds like a lot of coming and going, probably shuffling around drop off and pick up people and schedules. That type of thing does not mesh well with me. I dont care if families need odd times or a variety of pickup/dropoff people to make it work but it has to be something that I can know ahead of time....a weekly schedule at least. This isnt a free for all where you can just come in anytime. She said some days her daughter would not be dropped off until the afternoon which to me means nap time....not going to work. Plus this kid is only 16 months old and random schedules dont usually result in a happy toddler.

This is what I thought was happening when she would not tell me what times she needed. My husband thought I should just go ahead and interview anyway but why should I? I dont want to get up 15 minutes earlier or have a child here 15 minutes later. PLUS I she would be dropping off right when I am supposed to take my own daughter to school! So too me its a no. Its more of the principle of the thing....I set me work hours and I know that I will just start being resentful of having one child here 10.5 hours a day when the rest are here 8-10 hours a day. Plus I really dont have to take an extra kid and I have one more interview for that spot anyway. I am not desperate to accommodate anyone.

Please support me in feeling confident that I did the right thing. I dont even know what i am doubting it.
nothingwithoutjoy 11:12 AM 07-22-2012
Absolutely. You get to set the boundaries for your home and your program. If she's this much trouble before she's enrolled, you don't want her. Good for you for recognizing it in time.
cheerfuldom 11:19 AM 07-22-2012
thanks Lise

AND she all of a sudden wants to interview asap and start like next week....when I asked over and over what her start date was and she would never give me a date. She wants an updated background check and updated CPR certification and now is not giving me the time to even do those things. I have no problem updating either because it is time that they were done anyway but both cost me a small fee plus I have to work the class into my schedule. I have three kids and a full time job....I just cant drop everything and do this immediately.
daycarediva 11:49 AM 07-22-2012
I wouldn't even interview. I think you did the right thing!
DaisyMamma 12:05 PM 07-22-2012
It sounds to me like you've picked up on the red flags that will not allow it to work for you. I wouldn't feel bad. You already know you don't want to do it. and from what you said it sounds like she is a bit flaky. I think it would only cause you stress.
sharlan 02:25 PM 07-22-2012
Save yourself a headache and walk away from this one.
Former Teacher 03:24 PM 07-22-2012
I totally agree. Walk away. If she is this much trouble now...think about having her as a client.
Sunchimes 03:41 PM 07-22-2012
#1 rule of daycare--pay attention to red flags!
dave4him 03:43 PM 07-22-2012
walk away, there sounds like way to much trouble
SunnyDay 04:11 PM 07-22-2012
So annoying!!

Do some parents seem to think that regardless of what you say on the phone, they will be able to negotiate with you in person? I'm still fairly new to interviewing, but I had a woman a couple of weeks ago who I had told rates to on the phone and that we did not do a sibling discount. She set up an interview, we got to the end of it and she asked rates again and said they were not willing to pay that much. It was hard to remain professional at that moment when I had rearranged my schedule and wasted my time when she could have told me that before we met!
Truly Scrumptious 05:13 PM 07-22-2012
Wow...just you explaining the situation made me crazy! She would be a definite NO!
And, I learned along time ago not to ask for my husband's advice, because all he sees are dollar signs!!
Hunni Bee 05:21 PM 07-22-2012
You did the right thing. You knew the craziness was coming when she wouldn't give you a straight answer despite your asking a simple, clear question.

Plus, when she says she needs "15 mins" before and after you open/close - that's just too exact when everything else so hodgepodge. 15 minutes is just what she thinks is not enough to be a big deal, but enough that she can turn into 30 or 45 if need be.

In short, feel secure in the fact you just dodged a flaming ball of c**p
e.j. 05:42 PM 07-22-2012
If you already know you're not interested, it would be a total waste of your time to interview her - especially since you don't need her business. There's a fair amount of prep that goes into getting ready for an interview so why put yourself through it if you know you don't like the hours she's going to ask of you?

I was thinking about the same thing as Hunni Bee about the 15 minutes, too! She's saying 15 minutes now but you know that drop off will get earlier and pick up will get later.
cheerfuldom 06:30 PM 07-22-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
Wow...just you explaining the situation made me crazy! She would be a definite NO!
And, I learned along time ago not to ask for my husband's advice, because all he sees are dollar signs!!
yeah, I wasnt asking his advice for this very reason. but he previously was taking the kids out that evening so I could do the interview and I had to tell him it was cancelled.
cheerfuldom 06:31 PM 07-22-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
You did the right thing. You knew the craziness was coming when she wouldn't give you a straight answer despite your asking a simple, clear question.

Plus, when she says she needs "15 mins" before and after you open/close - that's just too exact when everything else so hodgepodge. 15 minutes is just what she thinks is not enough to be a big deal, but enough that she can turn into 30 or 45 if need be.

In short, feel secure in the fact you just dodged a flaming ball of c**p
ha ha!

yes, I thought the 15 minutes was mommy-speak for a lot more than 15 minutes.....
Kaddidle Care 07:47 PM 07-22-2012
blue words are what I think she's thinking...

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I asked her several times to let me know what days and times she is needing for care and also said several times what my business hours are.

she knows my business hours but will need drop off 15 min. early and pickup 15 min. later than my close time. = your hours mean nothing to me and I will set the times that are most convenient to me.
Then says that she would do some partial days too on occasion but would still pay the full time rate, which wasnt a compromise because my contract says that I get paid the full daily rate no matter if a child is here only a partial day = I'm not reading your contract and I'm doing you a favor.
She couldnt even tell me what days she would for need at what times = you will be available for me when I see fit.

She said some days her daughter would not be dropped off until the afternoon which to me means nap time. = I don't respect your schedule.

I am not desperate to accommodate anyone. = Too bad, I was hoping you were.

Please support me in feeling confident that I did the right thing. I dont even know what i am doubting it.
Run - don't walk from this parent.
nanglgrl 07:58 PM 07-22-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
blue words are what I think she's thinking...

Run - don't walk from this parent.
Lol, exactly!
PolarCare 12:08 PM 07-24-2012
Make up a little pre-interview questionaire. Send it to potential clients when they answer your ad via email.

Mine basically asks for the parents' full names, ages of kiddos, and what hours they will be needing care, including commute time.

It also asks where, if at all, the child or children were in care previously.

The questionaire lists my hours and prices, the days I'm closed, and provides a spot for the parent to initial that they have read and understand this, and that they would like to schedule an interview.

This not only determines compatibility before I waste time on an interview. It also lets potential clients know that I'm interviewing them as much as they're interviewing me, and that I don't work for them. I provide a service to clients, but I work for myself.
cheerfuldom 12:17 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by PolarCare:
Make up a little pre-interview questionaire. Send it to potential clients when they answer your ad via email.

Mine basically asks for the parents' full names, ages of kiddos, and what hours they will be needing care, including commute time.

It also asks where, if at all, the child or children were in care previously.

The questionaire lists my hours and prices, the days I'm closed, and provides a spot for the parent to initial that they have read and understand this, and that they would like to schedule an interview.

This not only determines compatibility before I waste time on an interview. It also lets potential clients know that I'm interviewing them as much as they're interviewing me, and that I don't work for them. I provide a service to clients, but I work for myself.
absolutely agree with you. I have about a half a dozen questions that must be answered in order to schedule an interview. That is how I knew this mom had some sort of issue going on because she would never answer the questions yet continued to contact me several times in effort to set up an interview.

as an update, I sent back a polite but short email letting her know that I was not open to extending my work hours any longer than my already agreed upon business hours. She was welcome to contact me in the future should her needs change but for now, we would not be interviewing because I obviously could not meet her current needs. No reply back. Which is rude to me so whatever, I am already over it and dont need any drama mamas around here, taking up space
Tags:interviewing, red flag
Reply Up