Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>help with letter to parents
WImom 11:21 AM 12-20-2012
Can I have some help on a letter to parents that I don't feel their child is ready for a preschool program.

This is her 4th week here (3 days a week)
I've documented the last two days behavior. Am I expecting too much from her being 28 months old or not?

12/18 – Taking other kids Food off their plates
- Pinching kids
- Hitting kids with her book in the reading center (they are sitting in the chair next to her)
- Being loud at story time/circle time, other group times when she shouldn’t be – babbling loudly
- Not staying at the table and throwing things at the table (her cup, fork, etc.)
- Getting up at circle time and laying on kids, pinching them

12/20
– Interrupting me while I was making lunch at least 8 times because she was either getting up to take things off the table – food, other kid’s forks, etc. Also kept getting up and laying on kids and bothering them. (They normally watch a show at this time
- throwing food at the table and on the floor.
- Ripped up another book today (happened previously)
- Disrupting circle time/story time with loud babbling and bouncing, bothering other kids
- refusing to stay on her mat at nap time, babbling loudly, not being quiet, standing and jumping on her mat
- Interrupting me at story time (before nap). Kept getting up and touching others mats, trying to play toys, being loud, etc

She also doesn't seem to be able to follow any directions I give her. She is also a rocker, rocks herself to sleep, rocks her head against the wall in the reading center, Sucks on her wrist, babbling at music time.
I have heard her say her abc's and talk so she doesn't always babble. I have had to rearrange things, put up most of the table toys (she will just start dumping them), crayons, etc. I feel like I'm having to rearrange every activity the days she's here to accommodate her and I don't know if I want to do that any longer. The rocking, parents never told me about. It may have been a deal breaker right way because we all nap in the same room so it's disruptive. But they didn't tell me about it. The mom also made it sound like she is good with structure, ready for preschool, etc.

Her first two weeks she didn't do anything much but rock in the chair in the reading area but now that she's doing that less she's been super busy. I really don't know if I want to term or give another two weeks but I want to give the parents a heads up.
snips&snails 09:09 PM 12-20-2012
Sounds like a lot of the toddlers I know Here preschool starts at 3 & honestly most aren't really "ready" until 4 in my opinion...
blandino 10:21 PM 12-20-2012
The majority of my kids were not like that at that age, however now I have a 27 month old who just doesn't seem to get it. No amount of redirection/correction/ scolding seems to make a difference. She is constantly up from the table, makes the biggest mess at meals, breaks the same rules every day and is devastated when I correct her - yet does it again. I honesty have no idea what to do with her... Haha. So I have sympathy for you, but unfortunately no answers.
MamaG 03:42 AM 12-21-2012
She isn't ready for prek! I would let parents know. My dd is 30 months but is way ahead of that child. She doesn't do any of those things. I had a kid that was half dd age, she acted a lot like that kid. I had to hire someone to help with her or term and you can guess
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 12-21-2012
Are you wanting to term her from YOUR preschool program or let her parents know she isn't ready to leave daycare and go to a preschool program?

I guess I keep reading it differently.....

If you are wanting to term her, that part is easy...

Dear Parents

After much thought and observation, I do not feel that Janey is ready to be a part of our preschool program at this time.

The supervision, redirection and attention she requires is much more than I feel I am able to provide at this time without jeopardizing the care and attention of the other children.

I would be happy to revisit her enrollment at a later date. If you would like to further discuss this matter, I would be happy to talk with you indepth about my reasoning for this decision.

The last day I am able to provide care for her is Dec. xx, 2012. I have included the number to the local CCR&R to aid you in your search for care. I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Provider

I don't think you should put your list of observations into your term letter. I think sometimes parents in this type of situation already know what you want to tell them but are just living in denial...kwim? Save your documentation of her behaviors for if they choose to talk with you further about it.

Hope that helps
allsmiles 07:11 AM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you wanting to term her from YOUR preschool program or let her parents know she isn't ready to leave daycare and go to a preschool program?

I guess I keep reading it differently.....

If you are wanting to term her, that part is easy...

Dear Parents

After much thought and observation, I do not feel that Janey is ready to be a part of our preschool program at this time.

The supervision, redirection and attention she requires is much more than I feel I am able to provide at this time without jeopardizing the care and attention of the other children.

I would be happy to revisit her enrollment at a later date. If you would like to further discuss this matter, I would be happy to talk with you indepth about my reasoning for this decision.

The last day I am able to provide care for her is Dec. xx, 2012. I have included the number to the local CCR&R to aid you in your search for care. I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Provider

I don't think you should put your list of observations into your term letter. I think sometimes parents in this type of situation already know what you want to tell them but are just living in denial...kwim? Save your documentation of her behaviors for if they choose to talk with you further about it.

Hope that helps

Willow 08:29 AM 12-21-2012
Complete speculation, but most kids I've ever known like that were the way they were because they were *over* disciplined (ie - yelled at, roughly handled, "potched" () on the butt or have had their fingers slapped).

Redirecting a child who has been handled in such a way just isn't going to cut it when the ante has been raised much much higher in the past. They're going to take full advantage and run amok as long as you don't take things to that level, heck, they're not even going to bat and eye!

I agree with BC's letter. Keep it short and simple. Unless they demand specific details I likely wouldn't get into it because it probably wouldn't do any good.
Reply Up