Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Question
cherryhill 05:22 PM 04-19-2013
I'm on the food program and really thinking about stopping the program. The kids don't eat what I prepare ever. I am thinking about just having parents prepare lunch and just feed snacks and milk. It seems they only eat the afternoon snack and breakfast only if its pancakes or waffles. They are really picky I have one that pretty much could survive on crackers, won't touch anything that is not a cracker. Has anyone that made the change had parents complain or want to pay less?
Meeko 06:36 PM 04-19-2013
Not sure about your state, but here in Utah, licensing regs say you must meet USDA requirements even if you're not on the food program. So why not get paid for what you have to do anyway?!

The kids don't have to eat one single bite. You just have to offer it. That's it.

I am a large family group and average over a $1000 month from the food program. To me it's so worth it! Our monitors are great too, so no stress.
daycare 06:38 PM 04-19-2013
Have you tried serving in small sessions.

I always serve veggies first protein next and carb last.

All of my kids hated eating when they came and now eat like super stars.
LaLa1923 11:45 AM 04-20-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Not sure about your state, but here in Utah, licensing regs say you must meet USDA requirements even if you're not on the food program. So why not get paid for what you have to do anyway?!

The kids don't have to eat one single bite. You just have to offer it. That's it.

I am a large family group and average over a $1000 month from the food program. To me it's so worth it! Our monitors are great too, so no stress.
THIS is also a requirement here... might as well get paid for it! I offer it, they eat or don't!
Cradle2crayons 01:18 PM 04-20-2013
I'm not currently on the food program but about to start soon.... And I agree with everyone... You offer it... They either eat it or don't. Unless you have a ftt.. Don't worry... And yep if ya have to do it anyway, might as well get paid for it.
butterfly 10:05 AM 04-22-2013
Have you tried serving family style? This way if they don't eat it, you can cover the container and save it for another meal or serve it for supper for your own family. I am allowed to serve plated meals but offer just one component (or more) of the meal family style. I use this when I have a strong feeling that they won't eat it. It has drastically cut down on the waste. I still get paid for it and I don't have to throw it all away.
Reply Up