Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP's Can Be So Rude!!
hgonzalez 12:16 PM 12-09-2013
My DCP's have been bugging me to make a decision about what days off I am taking for the Holidays. I have told them about the paid Holidays and one other day. I give a 2 week notice, so I need to decide today.

Over the weekend, I sent an email asking all parents what days they have off of work during those two weeks, so I can see if some days are better for the majority of my parents than others.

I have not received one single response from 5 families.

I also had a DCP late today, because his battery died on his car. First it happened at home. Then he went to a gas station to get cash to pay me (because they have bounced a check to me in the past) and the car died there. He makes some comment about 'well if I wouldn't have stopped at the gas station to get your cash, we would have been fine'. I snapped back at him 'well you did have all weekend to get the cash'...because I am sick of people treating me badly.

What the heck is wrong with people?
Heidi 12:24 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by hgonzalez:
My DCP's have been bugging me to make a decision about what days off I am taking for the Holidays. I have told them about the paid Holidays and one other day. I give a 2 week notice, so I need to decide today.

Over the weekend, I sent an email asking all parents what days they have off of work during those two weeks, so I can see if some days are better for the majority of my parents than others.

I have not received one single response from 5 families.

I also had a DCP late today, because his battery died on his car. First it happened at home. Then he went to a gas station to get cash to pay me (because they have bounced a check to me in the past) and the car died there. He makes some comment about 'well if I wouldn't have stopped at the gas station to get your cash, we would have been fine'. I snapped back at him 'well you did have all weekend to get the cash'...because I am sick of people treating me badly.

They're just big babies....

It'll be okay...
NeedaVaca 12:41 PM 12-09-2013
Sorry you are dealing with this. Personally I decide what days off I want and do not ask parents about their schedules. It was nice of you to try to work with them but in the future I wouldn't. Just pick the days you want and let them know
snbauser 12:42 PM 12-09-2013
(((HUGS))). I would not ask parents about their days off. Decide what is best for you and take those days. We give so much of ourselves for this business.
cheerfuldom 12:59 PM 12-09-2013
I would never ask parents what days would work best for them. you have now opened the door for your daycare parents to negotiate your days off. you can bet at least one parent will be upset in the future if you dont send these type of emails every time you want to take a day off.

do yourself a favor and just do what works best for you.
itlw8 01:27 PM 12-09-2013
I do see their point if you are going to close. It is almost impossible to get time off at the last minute over Christmas. Many need to put in 6 months in advance
Play Care 01:33 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I do see their point if you are going to close. It is almost impossible to get time off at the last minute over Christmas. Many need to put in 6 months in advance

I give a one month notice of extended time. I also learned early on to never try to coordinate time off clients. They will always need you to work...My hairdresser, plumber, electrician, etc. don't consult me when they are going to be off
caregiver 01:39 PM 12-09-2013
I just pick the days off that I want to take and then Parents have to go by my schedule. I tried trying to take the same days off that parents had years ago and it just wasn't working.
So just do what works for you. I usually give them about 2 months or so notice for my Holiday schedule, so that gives them enough time to find alternative care for their child while I take my vacation.
Kimskiddos 02:03 PM 12-09-2013
Most of my families get a lot of time off for the holidays. At the end of Nov (before I made my newsletter) I asked/texted my dcf's what their schedules were going to be from Dec 23-Jan 1 so I could make my decision on time off for the holidays.
Two of them said the whole time and the third said they had to work Dec 30 & 31st but could take those days off too. I think they wanted to use daycare as an excuse to get the days off. LOL So yes, I am off Dec 23-Jan 1 can't wait!
e.j. 03:35 PM 12-09-2013
He makes some comment about 'well if I wouldn't have stopped at the gas station to get your cash, we would have been fine'. I snapped back at him 'well you did have all weekend to get the cash'...because I am sick of people treating me badly.

It's so much easier to blame someone else than to accept responsibility for your own mistakes.

I agree with the others when they advised you to decide which days off work best for you and just notify the parents. It was nice to try to take their needs into consideration but it's hard when you have several families with different needs - especially when they don't/won't respond to you. Hopefully they're not deliberately ignoring you. Maybe they were busy Christmas shopping this weekend and haven't checked their emails yet?
Annalee 06:22 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
(((HUGS))). I would not ask parents about their days off. Decide what is best for you and take those days. We give so much of ourselves for this business.

hgonzalez 04:56 AM 12-10-2013
Well, unfortunately I did not get advance notice that my mother is dying. I am not trying to be dramatic here, but she is being moved into hospice care and I would like to spend more time with her if I can.

My parents are all aware of my situation with her. Also, I should have said that two families told me that they have lots of time off over the Holidays. I am trying to find out from them what days those are so I can inconvenience as few people as possible.

I looked this morning and not a single family responded with their schedules. Isn't that nice? So I am going to go ahead and take the time off I want without giving a **** about their schedules, since they don't give a hoot about my situation.

I usually give at least a month notice out before taking time off and I have had only 2 unscheduled sick days in 2013. I am just so tired of the disrespect.
Scout 05:44 AM 12-10-2013
So sorry about your mom. Isn't it possible though that not all of them checked their email? I know I only check mine daily when I have an ad on Craigslist up. I wouldn't be worrying about what works well for any of them in your situation. Do what you need to and forget about them. They should be able to find family or friends who can watch their kids last minute over the holidays.
MotherNature 06:46 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would never ask parents what days would work best for them. you have now opened the door for your daycare parents to negotiate your days off. you can bet at least one parent will be upset in the future if you dont send these type of emails every time you want to take a day off.

do yourself a favor and just do what works best for you.
yup-I tried this before, & it didn't work well. Good luck, though. Hope you pick something that will benefit you and the clients.
NeedaVaca 06:53 AM 12-10-2013
Sorry to hear about your mom. I don't know if you have paid vacation or personal days left for the year or if they are all unpaid. Either way, use all the days you have left or take as many unpaid days as you can afford! If your mom is being moved to hospice you should spend as much time as possible with her. Don't worry about the DCF's just do what you need to do
Play Care 08:00 AM 12-10-2013
Well, unfortunately I did not get advance notice that my mother is dying. I am not trying to be dramatic here, but she is being moved into hospice care and I would like to spend more time with her if I can.

My parents are all aware of my situation with her. Also, I should have said that two families told me that they have lots of time off over the Holidays. I am trying to find out from them what days those are so I can inconvenience as few people as possible.

I looked this morning and not a single family responded with their schedules. Isn't that nice? So I am going to go ahead and take the time off I want without giving a **** about their schedules, since they don't give a hoot about my situation.

I usually give at least a month notice out before taking time off and I have had only 2 unscheduled sick days in 2013. I am just so tired of the disrespect.

I am sorry about your mom. I stand by what I said - take the time off. As someone here once said, in a few years, you won't even remember these families, what they did, what their kids looked like, etc. Essentially, it won't matter. But the time you spent with your mom will
Unregistered 08:50 AM 12-10-2013

Personally, I think it's kind of rude they have to bug you for a decision. It is your business and they are at your mercy right now. What are they supposed to do if you decide to take days off, they have no backup care and they can't get the day off? Or if they arrange backup care and you don't take off and then have to pay double? Email is very impersonal and kind of unprofessional. They should have been handed a sheet to fill out with days off or asked personally at pickup. If your taking a full week off I don't think 2 weeks notice is sufficient. JMO

As for your mom, I'm really sorry you are going through that but since it wasn't in your original post it seems as it's more of an afterthought now that your upset. And if it were my mother I wouldn't find out what works best with parents, I would just take off the week and spend our last Christmas together.
e.j. 11:45 AM 12-10-2013
I'm sorry about your mom. I've been in your position and know how difficult it is to want to spend as much time with a dying parent as possible and still try to balance the needs of family and a day care business along with that. Add that to the already stressful holiday season and it can feel even more overwhelming.

I would just hand out a memo to all parents stating the dates you will be closed and leave it at that. If there are any complaints, you can say that you had tried to get input from them but received no response and had to make a decision. Then, don't second guess that decision. Spend as much time as you can with your mother. You'll never regret that.
Tags:rude parents
Reply Up