Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pre-licensing Inspection Coming up
dan18ny 06:42 PM 03-10-2015
Hello all,

My wife is opening up her daycare here in California and we have the pre-licensing inspection next Monday. I wanted to know if they only come to inspect if the house is safe or do they also want the house to be daycare ready (forms on walls, contracts, etc.).

Also, my wife has a computer in the dining area which is also part of the daycare, is she allowed to have that in there (plugs are covered, wires are organized)

Thanks!!
daycare 06:58 PM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by dan18ny:
Hello all,

My wife is opening up her daycare here in California and we have the pre-licensing inspection next Monday. I wanted to know if they only come to inspect if the house is safe or do they also want the house to be daycare ready (forms on walls, contracts, etc.).

Also, my wife has a computer in the dining area which is also part of the daycare, is she allowed to have that in there (plugs are covered, wires are organized)

Thanks!!
You won't have anything to post yet just make sure everything meets safety standards. They are there to help you your first time around. If anything is missing it will delay your license so just go to their website and get the check list.

Make sure you have you fire place no access to the kids
All knives stored high or locked
Oven with a lock
Electric covers on
No chemicals within reach of children included kitchen bathroom near garage door. All areas that you want to conduct daycare must be 100% ready for approval.

Non daycare areas they will just poke their head in and make sure no funny business.

Have your emergency plan ready and make certain you have all of your finger prints TB test First Aid CPR all ready to show at time of inspection.

Make sure you have working smoke alarm in every room that the children will use. (Each county differs on this). Working carbon monoxide and working thermostats.

I used baby gates to block off non daycare and the plastic door knob covers.

No plastic bags within reach of children. Basically if it says keep out of reach of children then follow that and keep it up at least 5 feet high stored away where the kids can't reach.

I can't really think of much else. Maybe someone else will.
Just relax and know they are there to help your first time.

Good luck and welcome to the board
Josiegirl 03:02 AM 03-11-2015
Safety safety safety
I can't remember if fire extinguisher or first aid kit were mentioned.
Check your outside play area for safety, check any used things you might have for safety. And make sure you have all the needed paperwork set for parents, all the right permission slips you'll need.
And good luck!!
Controlled Chaos 01:46 PM 03-11-2015
my inspectors wanted to see where the sign in and out sheets would be, where I would keep dck contrancts/releases etc. Changing area and where cleaning supplies would be. I was already running as license exempt, so I am not sure if that makes a difference. Outside area needed to be ready to go, fenced, clear of tripping hazards etc. Good luck and welcome!
MommieNana4 06:03 PM 03-11-2015
As everyone has stated...safety!

Exit signs on front, back and patio doors (whatever is applicable in your case).

All the best with your inspection.
Crystal 06:03 PM 03-11-2015
It can't hurt to have the forms up. The Parent's Rights form, Your Emergency Plan, including Earthquake preparedness. Your evacuation plan (drawn out in floor plan of home with lines and arrows indicating emergency route and exit, as well as meeting place outdoors should you have to evacuate) Post phone numbers for 9-1-1, local fire/paramedics, Local police/sheriff, poison control, Daycare licensing, Office of Emergency services, CPS and the nearest hospital.

Make sure you have a 2:A:10BC or larger fire extinguisher mounted.

If you have stairs indoors, make sure they are securely gated.

Basic first aid kit

If not completed, be sure she is registered for the 15 hour health and safety training and Pediatric CPR and First Aid. If already done, hang the cards where you hang your other forms, and make sure to have a copy for the analyst.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

BTW, where in Cali are you?
dan18ny 04:35 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
It can't hurt to have the forms up. The Parent's Rights form, Your Emergency Plan, including Earthquake preparedness. Your evacuation plan (drawn out in floor plan of home with lines and arrows indicating emergency route and exit, as well as meeting place outdoors should you have to evacuate) Post phone numbers for 9-1-1, local fire/paramedics, Local police/sheriff, poison control, Daycare licensing, Office of Emergency services, CPS and the nearest hospital.

Make sure you have a 2:A:10BC or larger fire extinguisher mounted.

If you have stairs indoors, make sure they are securely gated.

Basic first aid kit

If not completed, be sure she is registered for the 15 hour health and safety training and Pediatric CPR and First Aid. If already done, hang the cards where you hang your other forms, and make sure to have a copy for the analyst.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

BTW, where in Cali are you?
Thank you all for your advice!!!!

We stay in Orange County.
daycare 04:47 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by dan18ny:
Thank you all for your advice!!!!

We stay in Orange County.
woot I love orange county.... i lived there for almost 20 years and moved to northern cali about 6 years ago
Reply Up