Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting - what is your policy?
Jack Sprat 12:02 PM 11-05-2015
I currently have a 13m dcb. He has recently started biting himself, clothes and the soft dolls. I offer him teething toys to bite on and he throws them and screams. The biting is happening when he is angry (frequently nothing makes him happy/content except to be held). He hasn't bitten anyone else, at this point. My policy as of now is that I will work with the biter and the parents to help stop/curb the biting. And that I understand it can be developmentally normal/appropriate. However, after reading others policy on biting and not allowing biters because of legal repercussions, and the general safety of the other children I have began to rethink this policy. I have a younger baby in care and she is my primary concern. I worry about the older children as well, but they pretty much avoid this child. I have talked to dcm about it, she just says yeah he does it a home too, hope it doesn't get worse. I have expressed concerns that he may bite the others and she shrugs and says I hope not.

If you don't allow or work with biters could you share your policy with me, please?
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
I currently have a 13m dcb. He has recently started biting himself, clothes and the soft dolls. I offer him teething toys to bite on and he throws them and screams. The biting is happening when he is angry (frequently nothing makes him happy/content except to be held). He hasn't bitten anyone else, at this point. My policy as of now is that I will work with the biter and the parents to help stop/curb the biting. And that I understand it can be developmentally normal/appropriate. However, after reading others policy on biting and not allowing biters because of legal repercussions, and the general safety of the other children I have began to rethink this policy. I have a younger baby in care and she is my primary concern. I worry about the older children as well, but they pretty much avoid this child. I have talked to dcm about it, she just says yeah he does it a home too, hope it doesn't get worse. I have expressed concerns that he may bite the others and she shrugs and says I hope not.

If you don't allow or work with biters could you share your policy with me, please?
There is some really good info here:

http://pammshouse.com/bite.html
Reply Up