Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nice Family but Hours Don't Work. Interview
lovemydaycare0912 04:38 PM 06-14-2016
When you find a nice family but will have to tell them you won't enroll them due to them possibly being 10 minutes late for pickup everyday. They are in a center right now and have 3 kids there, they're trying to reduce their costs. Oldest going off to Kindy in Sept, so they want to put the infant with me. I used the famous line of having more interviews but I would keep in touch with her. As bad as I want to fill my last spot again, I won't do it and know I'll be working late. So sad lol
sharlan 05:17 PM 06-14-2016
I understand.

I got used to getting off at 5 versus 6. It makes a big difference. I have 1 that gave notice today because they need 6 and I'm not will to go back to that.
lovemydaycare0912 05:18 PM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I understand.

I got used to getting off at 5 versus 6. It makes a big difference. I have 1 that gave notice today because they need 6 and I'm not will to go back to that.
Yes, I felt bad because my hours did use to be 6. BUUUUUTTTTTTT for now, all my kids are gone by 5:15. Don't want to go back unless I become licensed for more children.
CityGarden 05:19 PM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
When you find a nice family but will have to tell them you won't enroll them due to them possibly being 10 minutes late for pickup everyday. They are in a center right now and have 3 kids there, they're trying to reduce their costs. Oldest going off to Kindy in Sept, so they want to put the infant with me. I used the famous line of having more interviews but I would keep in touch with her. As bad as I want to fill my last spot again, I won't do it and know I'll be working late. So sad lol
Did you consider telling her your limitations and giving her the option? I know parents here who are willing to stagger the parents schedules for a good daycare/preschool.
Thriftylady 05:21 PM 06-14-2016
I totally get it. I recently had to come to a similar decision. Spots are hard to fill here and so I was offering weekend care. I recently had someone contact me for it. She flaked on the interview, but I was going to end up declining anyway. I have five SA kids full time Mon-Fri right now, and even two weekends a month is just more than I can do. That may change this fall when they all go to school, but for now I just can't manage it and keep up. We all need the money, but we have to take care of ourselves as well, or we will need to take time off or quit daycare and not have money then either!
lovemydaycare0912 05:38 PM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Did you consider telling her your limitations and giving her the option? I know parents here who are willing to stagger the parents schedules for a good daycare/preschool.
She is transferring jobs right now and they both get off same time and aren't able to change it. I even asked if they had someone as backup in case of illness, vacation, emergency, etc. They weren't too sure.
daycarediva 06:01 PM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I understand.

I changed my hours to 8-5 and I don't want to go back, ever. I totally agree with you!

Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I would say most of my families do this. Mom does drop off/dad picks up or vice versa, I have three families where grandma picks up regularly as well.

I wouldn't do later.
AmyKidsCo 06:43 PM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I changed my hours to 8-5 and I don't want to go back, ever. I totally agree with you!
I'm changing mine to 7:30-5 and can't wait. That extra half hour in the morning makes a big difference!
Blackcat31 06:54 PM 06-14-2016
Time is priceless...

Sometimes its just not worth it and you have to pass.
lovemydaycare0912 04:37 AM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Time is priceless...

Sometimes its just not worth it and you have to pass.
I had her fill out an entollment app just to get all the info aboutthem so I could see it on paper. She had forgotten to put her email, so I kindly asked for it.

I plan on sending her an email hoping she will read it bc I haven't grown the balls to call. Does saying something along the lines of "Thank you for your interest in xyz daycare. Unfortunately, we will not be able to enroll your family at this time. Thank you" sound oay? Do I add it is due to the conflict of my closing time and their ability to pick up? This way if their MIL doesn't go back to work maybe they can figure something out? Sorry, new to having people come interview and me having to tell them no.
Blackcat31 05:10 AM 06-15-2016
I had her fill out an entollment app just to get all the info aboutthem so I could see it on paper. She had forgotten to put her email, so I kindly asked for it.

I plan on sending her an email hoping she will read it bc I haven't grown the balls to call. Does saying something along the lines of "Thank you for your interest in xyz daycare. Unfortunately, we will not be able to enroll your family at this time. Thank you" sound oay? Do I add it is due to the conflict of my closing time and their ability to pick up? This way if their MIL doesn't go back to work maybe they can figure something out? Sorry, new to having people come interview and me having to tell them no.
If you think they could possibly work it out and pick up at the time you want them to, I'd go ahead and mention something about closing time being a conflict for them but if you get the feeling that "figuring something out" means they *might* occasionally be able to be there by closing time but will be habitually late, then it's not worth it and I'd simply say thank you for your interest but the space is no longer available.

Also remember if you do give them a chance to figure out the earlier pick up and you enroll but it doesn't work out you HAVE to be prepared to speak up or you are going to find yourself resentful and working late.

I used to tell my kids that it's easier to keep yourself from falling into something than it is to get yourself out.....
Second Home 05:14 AM 06-15-2016
I had a similar situation this week . Family said they needed care from 7:30-4:30/5 . They get here and want care until 5:15/5:30 . I had to tell them that I close at 5 and can not accommodate any later pick up times .

I did send them a message letting them know that I enjoyed meeting them and if their hours of child care change in the future to please let me know .
lovemydaycare0912 05:15 AM 06-15-2016
If you think they could possibly work it out and pick up at the time you want them to, I'd go ahead and mention something about closing time being a conflict for them but if you get the feeling that "figuring something out" means they *might* occasionally be able to be there by closing time but will be habitually late, then it's not worth it and I'd simply say thank you for your interest but the space is no longer available.

Also remember if you do give them a chance to figure out the earlier pick up and you enroll but it doesn't work out you HAVE to be prepared to speak up or you are going to find yourself resentful and working late.

I used to tell my kids that it's easier to keep yourself from falling into something than it is to get yourself out.....
All true. Only thing is I can't say space is filled. My oh so smart self gave her our FB and IG page and that is where I do majority of my advertising. I'm prepared to look like a jerk either way even though I shouldn't be looked at as such all bc I don't want to work late. The only way I would take them is if they had someone else doing pick ups. I wouldn't take their word that they would make it work.
Blackcat31 05:16 AM 06-15-2016
All true. Only thing is I can't say space is filled. My oh so smart self gave her our FB and IG page and that is where I do majority of my advertising. I'm prepared to look like a jerk either way even though I shouldn't be looked at as such all bc I don't want to work late. The only way I would take them is if they had someone else doing pick ups. I wouldn't take their word that they would make it work.
I'd just go the honest route then and state you are unable to accommodate their needs.
childcaremom 05:22 AM 06-15-2016
I'd just go the honest route then and state you are unable to accommodate their needs.

I tell families this. I would specifically mention the hours.

Maybe they could work it out but if you were to sign them on, I would make it clear that any more than x late pickups and you will terminate with no refunds.
MunchkinWrangler 07:49 AM 06-15-2016
Or charge money for it

Other than that, I've been very blunt with families on my closing times and that they are not flexible(I don't want picking up late to be a habit.) I would just be honest and let them know what you can and can't do.

I had a family that told me 5ish, I took that as most likely after 5. I don't work past 5. I told them that if they meant it in the fact that their child would be picked and out the door by 5 that would work. I didn't hear back(rude) but at least I didn't have to interview and find that out and waste my time.
lovemydaycare0912 10:44 AM 06-15-2016
Thanks guy. I plan to e-mail Friday. Let them know I don't work past 5:30 so unfortunately can't enroll due to this. if their work hours change they can get back to me. I also plan on throwing something in there about them needing back up. Because I wouldn't want them signing on, baby gets sick, or I have to close and it's an issue. Welp, you can't win them all.
Reply Up