Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to put on dck's feet if I go to a "no shoes" policy??
Crazy8 07:07 AM 10-28-2014
I know we've had the shoes vs. no shoes discussion here quite a few times, and we wear shoes in the house, I always will - my back and knee would kill me if I didn't and I hate not wearing shoes! But my question is a little different….

I have very slippery wood laminate flooring and just ordered 2 new rugs for my daycare room. They were not cheap and I don't want them destroyed so I am thinking of going no shoes in the playroom but I need to have something on their feet. I want something for them to leave here to wear everyday. Those socks with the little non-skid words on the bottom do not really work well. I love Robeez but they are kind of expensive for me to keep a supply in all sizes. Does anyone have something that will be good for those slippery floors?? Should I just make parents supply Robeez or something similar?? I really don't want to deal with everyone bringing in those bulky animal head type slippers either. So need ideas!!!
CraftyMom 08:16 AM 10-28-2014
My dck's are barefoot inside. They come in and take their shoes off and socks. Works good for my hardwood floors, no socks to slip with!

Some providers don't want barefoot kids though. You could always send a note to the parents expressing your concerns and that all children are required to have something slip-proof. you could add "No bulky head slippers" and anything else that you dislike. Suggest "Robeez are preferred"
nannyde 09:05 AM 10-28-2014
robeez
Cat Herder 09:22 AM 10-28-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
robeez
How many washes in bleach can they take? ...
Crazy8 09:34 AM 10-28-2014
ewwww…. barefeet skeeve me out, LOL!!! Especially when they aren't my own family members. Shoes/socks/slippers of some sort are a must for me, LOL!!!

I was looking on ebay for Robeez. Maybe I could get a few pair cheaper there or only buy clearance styles (like snowmen in June). I am not sure if I want to put the responsibility on the parents or if I want to have my own here. And also something for kids a little older and don't fit in robeez??

And I've put them thru the wash a million times when my son wore them.
Baby Beluga 09:45 AM 10-28-2014
My kiddos either go barefoot or wear socks here. What about lightweight water shoes?
melilley 11:17 AM 10-28-2014
My home is a no shoe home. The kids wear socks. I have hard wood floors in the kitchen and dining room and have never had a problem with any of the kids slipping and falling, even my new walkers.

I would pick the Robeez if I didn't do the socks. I would have the parents supply one pair.
Neekie 12:24 PM 10-28-2014
They wear socks here!
crazydaycarelady 12:47 PM 10-28-2014
I have laminate flooring with rugs and the kids just wear socks I've never had a problem.
daycare 01:03 PM 10-28-2014
everyone must wear socks or slippers no matter what time of the year it is. I read that barefoot is worse than wearing shoes...
Heidi 01:15 PM 10-28-2014
When my kids where little (20 years ago), we had these corduroy booties that fit them until they were about 3. Like these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2007548...ove?ref=market

They STAYED on. After that, they could keep "regular" slippers on just fine.
nannyde 03:56 PM 10-28-2014
I can't do bare feet. I don't like bare skin except arms and older kids legs in the summer. I like the babies to be in footed jammies with onesies.
ColorfulSunburst 07:57 PM 10-28-2014
Parents provide shoes (not slippers, not socks) with rubber soles for wearing inside house.
crazydaycarelady 08:29 PM 10-28-2014
I love those corduroy booties - my sons had those! I loved that babies couldn't get them off!
Unregistered 05:14 AM 10-29-2014
It always surprises me when I read of people not wearing "shoes" in daycare. In my local area it surprised me that some providers let child nap barefoot/in socks. Where I live, we're not allowed to have them take off their shoes because it's consider a fire hazard. They're not supposed to be outside (drill or actual emergency) without shoes. My former coworker works in a public school preschool class. She has an all day eval a few times a year. She said you will get marked down if children take their shoes off during nap and you don't tell them to put them back on or put them back on them if they refuse.

When I did hs, we actually had an evacuation. Firemen came and told us we had to leave the building. I couldn't imagine changing 15 pairs of slippers/whatever into shoes.
Second Home 05:30 AM 10-29-2014
Maybe some of the fake crocs instead of slippers , they are not too expensive .
Crazy8 10:28 AM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Maybe some of the fake crocs instead of slippers , they are not too expensive .
that's a good idea too, thanks!!
Starburst 05:27 PM 10-29-2014
One lady I used to work for had this thing about no outside shoes in the house (She was kind of a germaphobe and it was part of her culture), but on the hardwood floors she would always have house shoes specifically for inside.
She got cheap hotel/spa slippers for me to where in the house but after wearing them a few times it came apart (I have wide feet), then I just did socks for a while and she got sandals but the kid kept hiding them so I usually just wore socks and one day I got some $1 flip flops and wore those.

Alternatives to their regular shoes:
"Inside shoes"; shoes the parents bring just to be worn inside the house can be simple tennies/ sneakers
Swim shoes
Slippers (maybe a 'no animal slipper' rule; maybe require it be plain white)
Sandals (may require them to have an ankle strap for safety reasons; many schools have that regulation)
Flip flops (though might be a bit of a safety hazard for youngers; or may prefer for them to have close toe shoes)
Crazy8 06:49 PM 10-29-2014
I decided to tell parents they need to provide something with a non-slip sole and I specified no clunky character heads or open back due to safety concerns. I would like to have my own supply here but thats a big expense and I am not really sure my clientele would like their child wearing "used" shoes later down the road. I offered them a few brands to look into and told them knock offs of any of those types would be fine because most of the brands are $20-30 a pair.
Luna 03:00 AM 10-30-2014
I pick up robeez at yard sales and thrift shops whenever I see them, so I have a nice supply now. My hardwood floors are too slippery for socks and too cold for bare feet. Some parents have brought house shoes because they wanted the extra support for their child's feet. I just run the robeez through the washer and dryer and they've all survived just fine.
Eta: when we have fire drills we go out in whatever we are wearing. We don't stop to put on coats or grab toys or change footwear.
Luvnmykidz 07:33 AM 10-30-2014
Have any of you tried skidders.com ? They have some shoes for indoor and outdoor use. They go up to adult sizes and they are not too costly. I just requested my parents to purchase a pair similar from a site/ store of their choice or to submit $20 by next Friday so that I may order them for daycare use. I eventually will purchase several pairs in varying sizes for future enrolled children and include the cost in my enrollment fee. Another option may be to check for sales and purchase shoes and just write it off on taxes as an expense. Kmart will be having there BOGO pretty soon. Last year I purchased snow boots BOGO and will do the same this year from Kmart
Reply Up