Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Aged Kids
TwinMama 05:25 AM 07-23-2015
I've got 3 this Summer.....

6, 7, and 9. They get bored so easily and because I don't have a waterslide there's no outdoor water fun that they'll enjoy on hot Summer days. They brought a slip n slide and used it for like 10 minutes. I also had a sprinkler...they didn't like that either.

They only want to watch these ridiculous shows on TV and play computer games.

They go outside and play baseball but there are only 3 of them and the other kids are too little.

They like to cook, but they don't really want to do anything that they would have to help me clean up. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Willow 06:24 AM 07-23-2015
Scavenger hunt or obstacle course! Have them put together their own tv show or play skits, make those rubber band bracelets, or weave paracord (lots of tutorials on youtube). Put together a giant puzzle, or have them make their own out of construction paper or card board. Construct, write and illustrate their own books, freeze things in ice and let them chisel them out, learn origami, or build a fort. Plant some flowers, go on a bug finding expedition, or challenge them to make something out of the resources nature provides. If they're allowed electronics check out free ebooks instead of just games. I've seen lists on pinterest related to summer boredom, maybe check there too?

Put together a giant list of as many items you can muster and then have them make a bucket list of their favorites to complete by the end of summer! One item a day would be ideal
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 07-23-2015
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
I've got 3 this Summer.....

6, 7, and 9. They get bored so easily and because I don't have a waterslide there's no outdoor water fun that they'll enjoy on hot Summer days. They brought a slip n slide and used it for like 10 minutes. I also had a sprinkler...they didn't like that either.

They only want to watch these ridiculous shows on TV and play computer games.

They go outside and play baseball but there are only 3 of them and the other kids are too little.

They like to cook, but they don't really want to do anything that they would have to help me clean up. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'd use the suggestions Willow posted ^^^.

If that fails, I would give them two choices:

1. Find something to do

or

2. Sit and be bored

If you do allow TV or electronic games, you could always make them earn it. For every 30 minutes of constructive outside play they earn 10 minutes of TV/game time.

...other than that, I don't have any other suggestions. I stopped taking SA kids because of that very problem. Theoretically they should be easier to care for as they age not harder...
Play Care 07:54 AM 07-23-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd use the suggestions Willow posted ^^^.

If that fails, I would give them two choices:

1. Find something to do

or

2. Sit and be bored

If you do allow TV or electronic games, you could always make them earn it. For every 30 minutes of constructive outside play they earn 10 minutes of TV/game time.

...other than that, I don't have any other suggestions. I stopped taking SA kids because of that very problem. Theoretically they should be easier to care for as they age not harder...

I have two SA brothers. And this is how I've been dealing.
Also, we have quiet time Monday-Wednesday They have to lay on their mats quietly. Usually they rest. On Thursday we have a movie during QT.
Josiegirl 09:55 AM 07-23-2015
Most naptimes are spent equal time reading and screen time. If they only read 10 minutes, they only earn 10 minutes screen time. But this afternoon started off with 'I don't feel like reading'. 'I'm bored.' and on and on....
So I got a big bucket of miscellaneous stuff I've been collecting and a glue gun, duct tape, scissors. They're going right to town out there. Little louder than usual but for some reason I don't mind it as long as they're busy and getting along.
I also bought a giant poster(ocean scene) they can work on coloring together. I have a couple puzzles 100-300 pcs., but they don't like the puzzles as much.
midaycare 10:27 AM 07-23-2015
I took SA last summer and I spent the summer teaching them the next grade they were going into. So one I taught multiplication to and we upped his reading level, as well as wrote a lot of book reports and short stories. Just as an example...I kept it pretty structured.

They would beg me to play with the little kids.

They also loved crafts, so whatever I did with the littles, they wanted to do, too.
AmyKidsCo 11:31 AM 07-23-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
1. Find something to do

or

2. Sit and be bored

At this age they should be able to find things to do. They shouldn't need you to entertain them. I remember being this age and my same-age cousin and I kept ourselves busy all day long without any help from adults.
Josiegirl 04:16 PM 07-23-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

At this age they should be able to find things to do. They shouldn't need you to entertain them. I remember being this age and my same-age cousin and I kept ourselves busy all day long without any help from adults.
I have to share what's transpired just between today and yesterday. All 5 of my SA dcks have ipods, iphones,(whatever the heck they are as I have no clue) Anyways, all 5 were checking online for new cases yesterday. Four went home and ordered some, then today they were right back at it. Evidently they were sneaking their iphones out so they could show the other what they bought. Then my 3 yo dcgs are walking around this afternoon with these little Disney flip open phones saying "see my new case?"
I found it kinda sad too, as all these kids need to do is say "I want" and it is granted. They're all telling each other how much it cost, "I bought 2 of them", blah blah blah. I interrupted and said I bought 2 gallons of milk last night. Obviously I could up their rates if they've all got money to burn.
It just made me realize how different kids are these days compared to back then. Kids cannot keep themselves busy unless push comes to shove. When they have no screen in front of their face, many of them are clueless on what to do next.
AmyLeigh 05:12 PM 07-23-2015
My SA'ers today went to a local steel drum concert, played minecraft, twister, clue, jenga, made up a camping trip, and are now choreographing a dance together. I think they are planning on doing some kind of "America's got Talent" performance.
I don't care if they watch a little TV or play on their electronics as long as they are balanced about it and do other things too. They hear that lecture all the time, lol.
If they ask me for something to do, I magically find all kinds of chores that need to be done. After a while, they give up and figure out something else to do.
Josiegirl 05:16 PM 07-23-2015
On Tuesday they were starting to get too loud for naptime so I gave them a blank food program menu and said plan a week's worth of breakfasts, lunches and snacks. They Loved it.
Josiegirl 05:18 PM 07-23-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
My SA'ers today went to a local steel drum concert, played minecraft, twister, clue, jenga, made up a camping trip, and are now choreographing a dance together. I think they are planning on doing some kind of "America's got Talent" performance.
I don't care if they watch a little TV or play on their electronics as long as they are balanced about it and do other things too. They hear that lecture all the time, lol.
If they ask me for something to do, I magically find all kinds of chores that need to be done. After a while, they give up and figure out something else to do.
My older dcks would absolutely love all that stuff!! And I'd like the steel drum concert myself.
TwinMama 08:54 AM 07-24-2015
This is wonderful!!!!

So how do you do the steel drum band?

Yeh...what I do with the little ones when it comes to crafts the big kids aren't interested in. I'll say "this is what we're doing today" and the big kids are like....I don't want to...let me find something else instead....umm...no.

It is sad. I hate that they don't care about free outside play. They go outside and then they come back in because it's/they're too something. (hot, tired, etc)

I like the idea of earning their screen time too. I think I'm going to start doing that. I would get some groans, but they would do it.

Everything is dumb, or boring, or whatever. However....they do like using cake decorators to make fancy designs on cupcakes. We've been working on how to follow a recipe.

Yes...in theory people would think that the older ones would be easy, but they're just not at all. At least the little ones get excited about projects and activities. The older ones act like I'm taking time out of their schedule. It's ridiculous.

Thank you so much.
AmyLeigh 09:37 AM 07-24-2015
The steel drum band concert was part of the local library summer program. They sponsor really cool programs each year.
We do a lot of morning field trips in the summer. Today is park day. The kids are getting their water and snacks together while I am messing around online, .

It is a little easier with my group because half of the group are my own kids. They are creative and independently natured and it has rubbed off on the rest.
Reply Up