Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2015, 03:16 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default Providing Outdoor Wear

So I know there are a few providers here who provide all outdoor gear. How did you switch over to that? Do you charge a registration fee?

I advertise as a program that spends a LOT of time outdoors. I go over my expectations in interviews. I send home a list of required clothing. Etc etc. I turn people away at the door or call for pick up if children are not prepared.

And I am STILL frustrated by parents who don't have a clue. Jackets too small. Waterproof pants that aren't waterproof. Booties for walking children (seriously?). Mittens that are too small. Mini mitts (specifically told don't bring them). No jackets on cold days.

After our first cold-enough-for-full-winter-gear day yesterday, I am completely baffled why parents choose my program if they don't want to get the gear their children need?

My solution to this insanity is to charge a registration fee for each child and then put that towards outdoor gear for each child. Then it's here, it works and I don't have to worry about any crazy stuff.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,534
Default

We spend a LOT of time outdoors in all weather.

I charge $50 fee up front at registration, and annually each new year. It covers all of those incidentals.

I purchase thrift store/consignment sale items, and I have a plethora of sizes I keep in a storage tote I pull out which sizes I need for my current kids and pack the rest back away. It all fits neatly into their cubbies. For my littles, I keep neutral one piece snowsuits. I am using the same sets of waterproof mittens I bought in 2008!

I really want to start with boots, too. It is the ONLY thing I ask parents to bring and THAT is even impossible to get (rain boots in spring/fall, WINTER/SNOW boots in WINTER. Is it that hard?!) I have a few pair, but I never have the right sizes to fit everyone. I too, turn away at the door, call for pickup at outside time, etc. Doesn't seem to help either.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2015, 05:55 AM
finsup's Avatar
finsup finsup is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,034
Default

I provide it! Never charged a fee because typically I haven't had to buy anything lol. Mostly what my kids outgrow gets used for daycare kids. Or my kids grandparents will find a good deal on winter gear and bring it to us....whether we need it or not haha. I have a small group though. If I had a bigger group I'm sure I'd have to charge some sort of fee. Maybe add up how much you estimate spending on gear (I'd personally add in sunscreen, bug spray etc too just because it makes it easy) and give them a choice. An extra set of approprieate gear etc due by such and such a date to stay at daycare for the season OR a fee of x amount and gear will be taken care of.
But with your parents, maybe just charge a fee. Sounds like a group who might just send last years winter items and make it more of a hassle
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2015, 06:49 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

I provide everything. It's way easier.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I don't have too much trouble though no one brings rain boots/jackets. I keep extras and make do. Even when I taught kindergarten I had two lockers full of extras. I was in a private school and parents were generally on top of things....still things happen where we needed extra.

I don't do full on snow suits .....ugh! We play on the driveway and sidewalks. Kids need boots, hats, mittens, warm coat. My parents over the years generally provide what the kids need.

I can't figure out if it's different in different parts of the country or what. I live in a small, rural community. Are people just more accountable here or what? I can't believe your parents don't provide even with calls or turn always!!! Crazy! My parents would be mortified!

Hope this bad parent behavior isn't headed my way! Yuck!

I guess I'd provide lots of extras from thrift stores if my parents dropped the ball on outside gear, but I don't think I'd keep 8 pairs or more of boots...too many sizes to worry about!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-2015, 09:31 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

I don't charge a fee but I provide everything. That being said I live in southern CA so even though I have rain gear I don't have to have snow gear ... not sure how much that stuff is since we NEVER get snow.

Every year several times a year I ask my friends and family for their children's hand me downs and I go through them. I also ask for clothing from my clients and typically because I require at least two extra changes of clothing to stay here in my home once they outgrow the clothes I ask them if I can keep the two sets of clothes. I have never had anyone say no to that because they feel like ... what's two sets of clothes?

Some items like umbrellas I've bought from yard sales or through local BST groups on Facebook.

I've collected all of my raincoats, heavy winter coats, beanies, sweaters, mittens, sweats and rain-boots doing this so most of the stuff I've collected was free. The only things I have paid for are socks, shorts (I buy them at target when the Khakis go on sale from $5 to $2.50 and both boys and girls can wear them), white T-shirts (so they can be gender neutral) and I invested in some white leather velcro Keds in about 6 sizes just in case the kids get dropped off in shoes that are too big or small or they forget them altogether. I don't let them leave my house at all ever.

For warm weather gear like shorts, short sleeved shirts, light sweaters and the keds I keep those in a drawer in my buffet and like daycarediva I just keep the cold weather and rain gear stuff in a bin that is easy to get to (we have weird weather where one day it's 90 degrees and the next day it rains).

I got tired of having parents try to negotiate when I turned them away at the door for improper or missing gear.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't have too much trouble though no one brings rain boots/jackets. I keep extras and make do. Even when I taught kindergarten I had two lockers full of extras. I was in a private school and parents were generally on top of things....still things happen where we needed extra.

I don't do full on snow suits .....ugh! We play on the driveway and sidewalks. Kids need boots, hats, mittens, warm coat. My parents over the years generally provide what the kids need.

I can't figure out if it's different in different parts of the country or what. I live in a small, rural community. Are people just more accountable here or what? I can't believe your parents don't provide even with calls or turn always!!! Crazy! My parents would be mortified!

Hope this bad parent behavior isn't headed my way! Yuck!

I guess I'd provide lots of extras from thrift stores if my parents dropped the ball on outside gear, but I don't think I'd keep 8 pairs or more of boots...too many sizes to worry about!
Totally agree! I think it may apply to area/location

In all the years I've been in this business (a LOT ) I can't say this has ever been an issue beyond a reminder here an there.

My parents would be mortified if they were turned away at the door for not having proper outdoor gear as in my neck of the woods, you ALWAYS dress for the outdoors. Even if you are only traveling from home to daycare.

Most my families actually own more than one pair of everything (again, normal around here) so a lot of times the parents leave hats and mittens in their child's cubby. Most actually wear their snowpants to and from daycare and boots here are an every day shoe choice from late Oct to mid-April so those are rarely forgotten.

I couldn't imagine providing all the necessary outdoor gear for everyone here.......I'd have to have another complete room to house it all.
Plus, I don't like to do easy. For me or for parents. I prefer to assign and/or recognize responsibility and then hold them and myself accountable.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 AM
mommyneedsadayoff's Avatar
mommyneedsadayoff mommyneedsadayoff is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,751
Default

I really only have this issue during this time of the year, because it is cold in the morning, but 60s by afternoon. Parents seem to look at the day forecast, versus the actual current temp, so sometimes they come in a light sweatshirt, but it still only 40 degrees at 9 when we go outside! I always have extras, because I seem to collect kids clothes

Once the real winter weather hits, though, I rarely have an issue. You would be a complete moron to not dress weather appropriate for even just a short drive anywhere. At minus 50 degrees, it only takes a few minutes to freeze or get frost bite and a car cools off in literally seconds when you factor in the wind, so getting stuck on the side of the road with no clothing protection is literally a fatal mistake. Most people in my area never make that mistake!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2015, 10:08 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

I don't really want to do this however this is one of the three big things: that we go outside each day no matter the weather.

We live on the coast and get a lovely mix of all weather, including rain, snow, sleet, snow then rain, etc etc.

I really don't want to have the stuff here but I am over the parents. I am over the reminders and multiple calls. I just don't understand why they don't send stuff when this is what they all said they liked about my program!

I don't think it's anything to do with where we are. It's the parents. They have excuse after excuse and I am just over it. One less thing for me to get pi$$y with them about.

I do agree it's their responsibility. Seriously. I would be mortified if I sent my child without the proper stuff. And I would def. have learned my lesson after one phone call. However.... this is a completely different breed of parent.

I like the idea of everything but the footwear. When do you charge fees? Every Jan? Every Sept? I think I would request that rainboots be kept here year round, sent home every 6 months for a size check, and then snow boots here by end of Sept.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
I don't really want to do this however this is one of the three big things: that we go outside each day no matter the weather.

We live on the coast and get a lovely mix of all weather, including rain, snow, sleet, snow then rain, etc etc.

I really don't want to have the stuff here but I am over the parents. I am over the reminders and multiple calls. I just don't understand why they don't send stuff when this is what they all said they liked about my program!

I don't think it's anything to do with where we are. It's the parents. They have excuse after excuse and I am just over it. One less thing for me to get pi$$y with them about.

I do agree it's their responsibility. Seriously. I would be mortified if I sent my child without the proper stuff. And I would def. have learned my lesson after one phone call. However.... this is a completely different breed of parent.

I like the idea of everything but the footwear. When do you charge fees? Every Jan? Every Sept? I think I would request that rainboots be kept here year round, sent home every 6 months for a size check, and then snow boots here by end of Sept.
Bottom line is that whatever method of handling this you choose, is that you have to make it benefit you.

If providing everything is easiest and works for you, then go that route.
If you want to provide everything but not make it so easy for parents then I would charge them a fee for "use" of your clothing items.

You could send out a reminder that all kids need to arrive in seasonally appropriate clothing and if they forget, you will charge the an additional $10-15 PER incident (washing, maintenance, simply owing it) fee.

Maybe once parents realize how much extra it costs them to be forgetful, they wont be forgetful.

I can see just adding the additional cost of owning and providing the items into your every day fee but in some cases where parents ARE good about it, then it seems like it wouldn't be fair to them unless you discount your rates for them.

If I were in your shoes the best option would be a "per use" fee for those times in which they forget.

Otherwise you are just making it easy for them to not parent and today it will be outdoor gear, tomorrow it will be diapers/formula and pretty soon it will be everything but birthing the child. kwim?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-20-2015, 10:41 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Bottom line is that whatever method of handling this you choose, is that you have to make it benefit you.

If providing everything is easiest and works for you, then go that route.
If you want to provide everything but not make it so easy for parents then I would charge them a fee for "use" of your clothing items.

You could send out a reminder that all kids need to arrive in seasonally appropriate clothing and if they forget, you will charge the an additional $10-15 PER incident (washing, maintenance, simply owing it) fee.

Maybe once parents realize how much extra it costs them to be forgetful, they wont be forgetful.

I can see just adding the additional cost of owning and providing the items into your every day fee but in some cases where parents ARE good about it, then it seems like it wouldn't be fair to them unless you discount your rates for them.

If I were in your shoes the best option would be a "per use" fee for those times in which they forget.

Otherwise you are just making it easy for them to not parent and today it will be outdoor gear, tomorrow it will be diapers/formula and pretty soon it will be everything but birthing the child. kwim?
Yes, I can see how it would be a slippery slope.

That's another interesting option.

Off to ponder. Thanks for the thoughts
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2015, 07:54 AM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

I don't provide everything, but I do have a few extras on hand for the occasional "forgot to bring" items. I typically dress the kids in the opposite gender items. My reasoning for this is two fold.
1. It's my passive aggressive attempt to shame the parents into making sure their child has the items they need here.
2. I usually get those items back. The parent knows the hot pink tinker Bell hat does not belong to little Johnny.

The items I have on hand, are thrift store finds or hand me downs. I don't charge extra for it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2015, 03:35 AM
melskids's Avatar
melskids melskids is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,767
Default

I supply everything.

We live in an area with rough winters and most of my parents STILL show up unprepared. LOL

I beg for hand me downs, thrift shop and yard sale, and sometimes just buy what we need new. I had a Grandparent bring me a dozen pairs of boots once. Grandparents seem to love to want to help out.

I bought waterproof mittens with extended sleeves a few years ago, and they've been the best investment ever. The littles cant get them off.

I dont bother with any fees or charging for it. I just write it off as an expense.

It may let parents off the hook, but my life got a whole lot easier when I stopped having to hound them, and in the end, convenient for ME is what matters.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I don't provide everything, but I do have a few extras on hand for the occasional "forgot to bring" items. I typically dress the kids in the opposite gender items. My reasoning for this is two fold.
1. It's my passive aggressive attempt to shame the parents into making sure their child has the items they need here.
2. I usually get those items back. The parent knows the hot pink tinker Bell hat does not belong to little Johnny.

The items I have on hand, are thrift store finds or hand me downs. I don't charge extra for it.
I do the same. Since all my kids come by car and most have longer rides, they typically only have coats, hats, and maybe boots on. I have them leave extra snow pants here. I bought mittens and hats second hand. To be honest, until it's REALLY cold, I put long water-resistant athletic socks (black) on their hands (doubled up if colder). I buy the size for a 6-9 year old's feet, put them on under their coats up to their armpits. I hate mittens "made" for toddlers. They are hard to put on and never stay on. Thumb holes are over-rated anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Providing Child Care from a Rental Home in CA? Sergio Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 48 05-19-2015 02:46 PM
Providing Child Care with a Partner Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 01-12-2014 08:19 AM
Providing Care In The Parent's Home??? Logged out Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 09-29-2012 09:48 PM
No Longer Providing Breakfast and Lunch DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 09-09-2010 06:43 PM
Determining If A Daycare Is Providing Quality Care?? Lisa S. Parents and Guardians Forum 4 06-16-2009 11:17 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming