Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Essentialrose1's Avatar
Essentialrose1 Essentialrose1 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9
Default Teachers Raising Voices...

I know that it is the job of the teachers to modify, redirect, talk to, comfort...whatever has to be done/tried to help a child that is showing a challenging behavior. My center is full of caring & super dedicated teachers. However, during frustration I've seen each & every one raise their voices at one point. There IS a difference between yelling & raising their voice. But that's my own personal feeling & I want to make sure I am helping my staff as best as I can. What is your policy on this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essentialrose1 View Post
I know that it is the job of the teachers to modify, redirect, talk to, comfort...whatever has to be done/tried to help a child that is showing a challenging behavior. My center is full of caring & super dedicated teachers. However, during frustration I've seen each & every one raise their voices at one point. There IS a difference between yelling & raising their voice. But that's my own personal feeling & I want to make sure I am helping my staff as best as I can. What is your policy on this?
All I can say is that a therapist that I have worked with in my daycare told me that I NEED to raise my voice now and then, and that I can't be so soft spoken all the time with the kids. She told me to use the same voice my mom used with me when I was in trouble, and that the kids need to hear my deep, raised, MOM voice when it was necessary. I am not one to raise my voice, but I have learned to be much firmer, and occasionally do raise the volume when necessary. It IS different than yelling, and it does work.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2016, 08:23 PM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Yes, I believe it is essential to change tone and volume of your voice as well. Sometimes a raised voice can catch children off guard AND get their attention. They also realize when you are being serious. I am soft spoken, I have lost all control of my daycare because of this at times but now that I use different tones they react to it i.e. know when I mean business.

Of course there's a difference to all out yelling at the kids but if it's controlled it has an impact.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

I also believe there is a difference between using an "I mean business" tone of voice and yelling. A firm tone is controlled, and when used sparingly, should be a good indicator to a child that they need to course correct. Usually, if an adult is yelling, they have lost control of the group and their own emotions. (emergency situations excluded)

When I had staff, my policy on "raised voices" was that it should generally be reserved for emergency situations. (eg: someone is going to fall, bite, etc.) That said, taking care of kids is stressful work. If my staff were raising their voices more than I thought was appropriate, I would step in and see if they needed some support to handle challenging behaviors.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2016, 05:31 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
All I can say is that a therapist that I have worked with in my daycare told me that I NEED to raise my voice now and then, and that I can't be so soft spoken all the time with the kids. She told me to use the same voice my mom used with me when I was in trouble, and that the kids need to hear my deep, raised, MOM voice when it was necessary. I am not one to raise my voice, but I have learned to be much firmer, and occasionally do raise the volume when necessary. It IS different than yelling, and it does work.
That's a good way of stating it. It also depends on a person's normal voice. I've worked with teachers whose voice really cuts through to the point of normal conversation being considered "loud" without them trying to. And my voice was noticed more just because it was the male voice in the crowd. I guess my qualifier would be does the person sound stressed or angry when talking, or are they just talking appropriately in a volume that could use turned down a couple clicks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2016, 06:39 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
I also believe there is a difference between using an "I mean business" tone of voice and yelling. A firm tone is controlled, and when used sparingly, should be a good indicator to a child that they need to course correct. Usually, if an adult is yelling, they have lost control of the group and their own emotions. (emergency situations excluded)

When I had staff, my policy on "raised voices" was that it should generally be reserved for emergency situations. (eg: someone is going to fall, bite, etc.) That said, taking care of kids is stressful work. If my staff were raising their voices more than I thought was appropriate, I would step in and see if they needed some support to handle challenging behaviors.
This.
I'm not a fan of the "sing song" voice used in ECE classrooms to address behavior issues. I do think you can be soft spoken and still have order, but I've found that there are times where a firm voice is warranted.
I also think it's time to find out WHY the teachers are feeling they have to raise their voices. This last school year both my assistant and I felt like we always had raised voices with two kids in particular. They are gone this year but in reality I should have termed them long before. Since they've been gone we haven't had to used raised voices
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teachers Schedule! Need Help With Letter To Parents About DC Changes KelMar79 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 11-06-2014 04:11 PM
Teachers.... MissAnn Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 04-29-2014 11:36 AM
Teachers and their kids cheerfuldom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 08-02-2013 02:09 PM
Parent and Teacher Partnerships dave4him Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 05-16-2013 06:41 AM
Pre K prioritizepre-k Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 51 11-12-2012 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming