Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2016, 06:08 PM
DaycareDays126's Avatar
DaycareDays126 DaycareDays126 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 60
Unhappy Ugh...I Dread Interviews

I recently revamped my WHOLE handbook/contract. I made my policies MUCH more strict and switched to contracted hours. I have been working on this handbook for 2 weeks (have to give a shout out to Blackcat for some GREAT ideas!) I have not been so active on trying to set up interviews to fill in a spot for a new SA, but I was just told that when I go on vacation in 3 weeks (first one in YEARS...yayyy!!!) one of my other kiddos won't be returning. So...on with the interviews...

Had one today. Already awkward in the beginning because as soon as they get out of their car, I realize I had an interview with them before! They didn't say anything about it so maybe they didn't remember but obviously, it didn't work out because they didn't sign on the first time. After we talk for a few minutes, one of the parents says "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

Are you kidding me??? I worked so hard on that and I was proud of it when I finished! I thought it covered everything necessary, in a no fuss kind of way, that shows I am serious about my work and the responsibility of taking care of their children, and will not be taken advantage of. Parents will always acknowledge that they understand every policy is there for a reason, but then they think that you sound like a big "meanie" for wanting to enforce them!

Is it Friday yettt???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareDays126 View Post
I recently revamped my WHOLE handbook/contract. I made my policies MUCH more strict and switched to contracted hours. I have been working on this handbook for 2 weeks (have to give a shout out to Blackcat for some GREAT ideas!) I have not been so active on trying to set up interviews to fill in a spot for a new SA, but I was just told that when I go on vacation in 3 weeks (first one in YEARS...yayyy!!!) one of my other kiddos won't be returning. So...on with the interviews...

Had one today. Already awkward in the beginning because as soon as they get out of their car, I realize I had an interview with them before! They didn't say anything about it so maybe they didn't remember but obviously, it didn't work out because they didn't sign on the first time. After we talk for a few minutes, one of the parents says "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

Are you kidding me??? I worked so hard on that and I was proud of it when I finished! I thought it covered everything necessary, in a no fuss kind of way, that shows I am serious about my work and the responsibility of taking care of their children, and will not be taken advantage of. Parents will always acknowledge that they understand every policy is there for a reason, but then they think that you sound like a big "meanie" for wanting to enforce them!

Is it Friday yettt???
She said "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

What that means is: "I'm going to put you on the spot for a minute. I was thinking my kid might not cut it here. All your rules and policies will be difficult to follow because we don't have routines and schedules and are afraid our kid will cry so we let her run the show. After meeting you I can tell I might have a chance at playing the 'poor me' or the 'I pay' you card and still run the show but we'll see."

I've been told the same thing a million times.

If you enroll, these types of parents usually try and subtly push boundaries/rules in the beginning but if you are firm and consistent it's usually pretty easy to rein them in.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 08-25-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Poptarts22's Avatar
Poptarts22 Poptarts22 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 89
Default

I hate the interviews, and I know I take them far more serious than the families. Last weekend I met with a family who brought their 6 yo boy in shorts. Just shorts. No shoes and no shirt. I wanted to tell them before they got in the door-sorry, let's not waste each other's time. If they can't bother to dress him to come meet me, then I know they are too lax in their parenting to ever make it in my daycare
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2016, 06:41 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
She said "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

What that means is: "I'm going to put you on the spot for a minute. I was thinking my kid might not cut it here. All your rules and policies will be difficult to follow because we don't have routines and schedules and are afraid our kid will cry so we let her run the show. After meeting you I can tell I might have a chance at playing the 'poor me' or the 'I pay' you card and still run the show but we'll see."

I've been told the same thing a million times.

If you enroll, these types of parents usually try and subtly push boundaries/rules in the beginning but if you are firm and consistent it's usually pretty easy to rein them in.


Sums it up perfectly!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is offline
starting daycare someday
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareDays126 View Post
Is it Friday yettt???
Just about.

Seriously though, BC is right. If you do let them in, stick with your rules and if it doesn't work out, i.e. not enough giving in for them, they will go, or you will have a good reason to let them go. If you want to try them out, go for it.
__________________
Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
They are also our future.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2016, 07:43 PM
DaycareDays126's Avatar
DaycareDays126 DaycareDays126 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
She said "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

What that means is: "I'm going to put you on the spot for a minute. I was thinking my kid might not cut it here. All your rules and policies will be difficult to follow because we don't have routines and schedules and are afraid our kid will cry so we let her run the show. After meeting you I can tell I might have a chance at playing the 'poor me' or the 'I pay' you card and still run the show but we'll see."

I've been told the same thing a million times.

If you enroll, these types of parents usually try and subtly push boundaries/rules in the beginning but if you are firm and consistent it's usually pretty easy to rein them in.
Thank you for saying that! Since then, all I have been thinking is "am i too strict? Do I sound mean?" What you said it REALLY meant sums it up perfectly. The whole point of redoing everything was to make my policies more "strict" and enforceable. I just have to stick by my guns and know that I am doing whats in the best interest for me, my family, my business, THEIR CHILD, and everyone elses child that comes to my home every day.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareDays126 View Post
I recently revamped my WHOLE handbook/contract. I made my policies MUCH more strict and switched to contracted hours. I have been working on this handbook for 2 weeks (have to give a shout out to Blackcat for some GREAT ideas!) I have not been so active on trying to set up interviews to fill in a spot for a new SA, but I was just told that when I go on vacation in 3 weeks (first one in YEARS...yayyy!!!) one of my other kiddos won't be returning. So...on with the interviews...

Had one today. Already awkward in the beginning because as soon as they get out of their car, I realize I had an interview with them before! They didn't say anything about it so maybe they didn't remember but obviously, it didn't work out because they didn't sign on the first time. After we talk for a few minutes, one of the parents says "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

Are you kidding me??? I worked so hard on that and I was proud of it when I finished! I thought it covered everything necessary, in a no fuss kind of way, that shows I am serious about my work and the responsibility of taking care of their children, and will not be taken advantage of. Parents will always acknowledge that they understand every policy is there for a reason, but then they think that you sound like a big "meanie" for wanting to enforce them!

Is it Friday yettt???
I think my internet and cable contract is mean and strict. My cell phone one is too. They are MANY pages long and they have millions of customers. My piddly income is infinitesimal to them yet our agreement is five times the pages of my contract for daycare.

Why do parents not think big business contracts are mean and strict but ours are? Because they truly believe we should do it for love not money.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2016, 07:54 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Because they truly believe we should do it for love not money.
this applies to both parents and state/government.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is offline
starting daycare someday
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,518
Default

Bc and I are on the same page. As I read nannyde's post, I was going to quote the exact same part of it, then read Bc's post and saw that she beat me to it.

Anyway...


Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Because they truly believe we should do it for love not money.
I am planning to go into business partly for the love of it, but I will need the money too.
__________________
Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
They are also our future.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
I think my internet and cable contract is mean and strict. My cell phone one is too. They are MANY pages long and they have millions of customers. My piddly income is infinitesimal to them yet our agreement is five times the pages of my contract for daycare.

Why do parents not think big business contracts are mean and strict but ours are? Because they truly believe we should do it for love not money.
For some reason they also think they can push us into caving in for them, giving them special treatment.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Starting Out, Nervous About Interviews! zagbee Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 03-07-2014 09:43 AM
Interviews Second Home Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 01-31-2014 12:20 PM
How Many Interviews Have You Done? EchoMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 12-15-2012 07:08 PM
Waste of Time Interviews EchoMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 09-30-2012 09:04 AM
Interviews JeepGirl6 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 07-16-2012 07:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming