Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to do With Inactive Daycare Belongings
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:26 AM 03-24-2010
For those that didn't follow my story on a 3 1/2 year old dcb....I was hired in Jan. to watch the boy full time..he came for 2 weeks and 1 day, then the father didn't have any work (independent painter). Our contract stated if he didn't have any work I wouldn't charge for 2 weeks but after that I would need $50/week to hold his spot.

Well they didn't pay, so I wrote and mailed a termination letter and told them they owe me $150 for 3 weeks of holding his spot and they have belongs of their son here so call to arrange a time to pick them up.

It's been over a week since the letter and I haven't heard a word, but his things have been here for over 5 weeks without him coming here. He has a blanket, backpack, and clothes.

I'm in my spring cleaning mode and trying to organize...I do not want this stuff here any longer...what can I do with it?? Do I have the right to donate it?...maybe write them another letter stating if they do not pick up his belongins within a week they will be donated? Turn it over to police? What am I supposed to do with things that do not get picked up??
originalkat 06:33 AM 03-24-2010
I would send another letter (and keep a copy) stating that the items will be donated if not picked up within one week (give a date). Most likely they wont show up.
Former Teacher 06:38 AM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I would send another letter (and keep a copy) stating that the items will be donated if not picked up within one week (give a date). Most likely they wont show up.
Agreed but send it certified so they have to sign for it.
misol 06:42 AM 03-24-2010
I agree with the others.
Childminder 06:48 AM 03-24-2010
If you send it certified it'll cost you over $5. Just give them a call and give them the time limit.
safechner 06:49 AM 03-24-2010
I agree with them. It happens to me once that I no longer watched after school two kids about two years ago. I sent her certified mail to let them know that they owe me $160 and pick up their stuff at my daycare by the date (bike, nintendo lite ds, ds games, and toys). They never pick it up so I waited 6 months later then I sold all of their stuff to cover the funds that they owed me so I don't have to take her to court.
AmandasFCC 07:00 AM 03-24-2010
That happened to me. A guy I worked with before getting into daycare myself signed on as a client, totally took advantage of me and then pulled his son without giving notice. After 2 months of waiting to hear from him, I finally just chucked all the kid's artwork and put his clothes into a box to use for accidents and stuff. In your situation though, I think I'd give them a call and give them a timeline to get their butts in gear.
Janet 12:08 PM 03-24-2010
I send a letter and I make a phone call stating that if the belongings haven't been picked up by the date specified, that I will be donating the stuff to Goodwill, Salvations Army, or whatever place may need the stuff. I let them know that they can come pick it up from my house, and if I don't hear back, I donate it and then send them the slip so that they can fill it out for their charitable contributions for their tax return.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:26 AM 03-25-2010
Well she came last night to pick up the belongings...and DIDN'T pay me of coarse! I didn't think she would. She gave me a sob story that things have been rough and she's thinking of splitting with her husband.

Whatever! I'm so done with them. The least she could have done was give me a phone call to let me know what was going on. Done, done, done!!
missnikki 07:42 AM 03-25-2010
Thank goodness that's resolved.
FYI- The law in my state is that when unclaimed belongings are left behind, attempts should be made to contact the owner. (If unlocatable, run an ad in the local paper.) Keep proof of emails, texts, messagges, etc. After 3 attempts and a 30 day deadline, it is considered abandoned, and can be disposed of in any manner. Storage fees can be charged up to the 30 day deadline in court.
tymaboy 08:27 AM 03-25-2010
I was told by licensing that after a month I can do what I want with the belongings.

If she did not pay (not sure what they owe) but if its more then $100 you could take them to court with copies of your contract & also have them pay for the court costs. If its less then $100 I would not bother.
Persephone 10:16 AM 03-25-2010
I was coming to ask the same thing.

I have a booster car seat from the 5 year old that I watched. She won't return my calls or text messages.

I texted her this past weekend and said to pick it up or I'll discard of it on Friday.

I will not take this seat to good will as it is right past it's expiration date. I had only planned to use it until I found a better one at a yard sale.

Should I text her again and let her know that tomorrow is the deadline or just toss it out in tomorrows trash pick up?
[email protected] 10:29 AM 03-25-2010
toss it, you already gave her a date.

Originally Posted by Persephone:
I was coming to ask the same thing.

I have a booster car seat from the 5 year old that I watched. She won't return my calls or text messages.

I texted her this past weekend and said to pick it up or I'll discard of it on Friday.

I will not take this seat to good will as it is right past it's expiration date. I had only planned to use it until I found a better one at a yard sale.

Should I text her again and let her know that tomorrow is the deadline or just toss it out in tomorrows trash pick up?

Tags:unclaimed belongings
Reply Up