Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Is How It Should Be In An Ideal DC World...
Heidi 12:48 PM 11-02-2012
My sister, who lives in a nearby larger city, just enrolled a newborn,

She and the family agreed on $280 per week, and they put down a deposit weeks ago before the baby was even born.

They are college professors from another culture, and this is their first child, and they're asking HER for parenting advice (she does have a degree in ECE & almost 20 years experience).

My sister was INVITED to come to the hospital to meet the new baby.

She also got to go to THEIR home, where she helped them baby-proof it.

They've had lengthy conversations about sleep skills, breast feeding, and SIDS prevention.

She wants Fridays off in the summer...NO PROBLEM! Dad is off anyway...

wow...just wow...where to I get some of those families?
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 11-02-2012
That is fantastic! What a great family...makes it nice when they trust that you know your job and they are willing to take advice.

I am not so sure how I would feel though going to someone's house and baby-proofing. I am so paranoid now that if the baby got hurt at home, I would feel like the parents might blame me.
MarinaVanessa 12:59 PM 11-02-2012
I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michelle 01:01 PM 11-02-2012
I Love it when they ask me for parenting advice cuz I give it regardless if they want it or not!

Heidi 01:06 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is fantastic! What a great family...makes it nice when they trust that you know your job and they are willing to take advice.

I am not so sure how I would feel though going to someone's house and baby-proofing. I am so paranoid now that if the baby got hurt at home, I would feel like the parents might blame me.
I could see why you'd think that way, but they asked while she was there, and so she gave them some tips. She is not being paid for the service.

I think it started because they had the baby laying somewhere unsafe (elevated, not on a bed), and she brought it up. They are thinking "well, he doesn't move yet", she is thinking "tommorow he might".

Cellphone cords dangling on the floor/plugged in....that sort of thing.
MyAngels 01:07 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
they're asking HER for parenting advice
I've got had several families that have continued to call me from time to time for advice - especially once their kids reach the teenage years . I think it helps that I managed to raise my own kids to adulthood without any major hiccups.

I'll bet they have a long and happy relationship, too.
Crystal 08:13 PM 11-02-2012
Love this.

I have been fortunate enough to meet several of my children shortly after they were born and still in the hospital.....even have been the first to meet a few of them, and have taken their first photos....being held by mom, first "bath", meeting their sibling. I am quite attached to those children....and YES, it is the IDEAL....every relationship, with each family has been great....they ask for and value my advice and have great respect for the person working with them to raise their child.

I wish they were ALL like that
Reply Up