Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Possible Terming/First Time Need Advice!
Jack Sprat 12:12 PM 11-06-2013
DCM has been brining child since first of October. She receives assistance from DCF and has a parent pay portion. Well, I found out on Monday that there has not been a Child Care Plan set up in my name and ask the mother if she had everything turned in. I did ask and she said yes and that she would be calling DCF to find out what is going on. I have had a similar conversation with her before and basically she said the same thing. She has paid $46 of her parent pay and I have received nothing from the state.

If I follow my handbook she would have two weeks to pay in full or be termed. I feel awful doing that. I do understand what it is like to be a single mother and struggle financially. But, at same time I feel she is taking advantage of me. I have told her I would work with her on the parent pay portion since she is paid every two weeks, she could pay then. But, she hasn't come close to covering her parent pay. She seems to think that DCF will pay what she isn't paying.

Should I mention it to her again today at pick up or skip the conversation and write a letter with an invoice included and a copy of my payment policy?

Thanks!!!
Leigh 12:26 PM 11-06-2013
In the future, I would require 2 weeks deposit to prevent this from happening again. I would also phone the state's child care assistance office BEFORE the child starts to make sure that the parents have the paperwork in.

For now, were it at MY house, I'd tell Mom at pickup time that you require immediate payment or you will not be able to take the child unless child care services can send you proof that her claims are approved back to the date that the child started. I would not care for the child for one more day without being paid for it.
melilley 12:30 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
In the future, I would require 2 weeks deposit to prevent this from happening again. I would also phone the state's child care assistance office BEFORE the child starts to make sure that the parents have the paperwork in.

For now, were it at MY house, I'd tell Mom at pickup time that you require immediate payment or you will not be able to take the child unless child care services can send you proof that her claims are approved back to the date that the child started. I would not care for the child for one more day without being paid for it.
My licensor even suggested that when I take dhs families that I call caseworkers before care begins to be sure that the family is in the program.
Willow 12:36 PM 11-06-2013
In my state ccap will send you paperwork verifying a parent is approved and what if any co pay they are being set up with. How did you determine the amount of $46.00 that she's paid already?
craftymissbeth 12:47 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
In my state ccap will send you paperwork verifying a parent is approved and what if any co pay they are being set up with. How did you determine the amount of $46.00 that she's paid already?
In kansas, op's state, dcf pays an hourly rate based on attendance. So if op's rate is $100 weekly and the child attended 35 hours and the dcf rate in her county is $2 an hour then dcf would pay $70 and the parent would pay $30.

I don't accept dcf, but there was a provider in my area that mentioned she records the attendance as their contracted hours, but I wonder if that's correct to do.

Anyway! Op, it is in my contract that regardless if how you plan on paying the full amount is due Friday at 5. So since she didn't pay with dcf then she should have had a check ready on your payday IMO.
Heidi 12:54 PM 11-06-2013
IN our state, we can no longer call caseworkers to verify anything. Just another way WI has become unfriendly to dcp's.

Most providers bill online, and can see the authorizations on the billing site. Problem is, if it's NOT there, we cannot call anyone to find out why (in process, parent didn't turn everything in, big mystery each time).
Heidi 12:56 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
In kansas, op's state, dcf pays an hourly rate based on attendance. So if op's rate is $100 weekly and the child attended 35 hours and the dcf rate in her county is $2 an hour then dcf would pay $70 and the parent would pay $30.

I don't accept dcf, but there was a provider in my area that mentioned she records the attendance as their contracted hours, but I wonder if that's correct to do.

Anyway! Op, it is in my contract that regardless if how you plan on paying the full amount is due Friday at 5. So since she didn't pay with dcf then she should have had a check ready on your payday IMO.
In WI, a whole bunch of providers go in big trouble for that. Irony is, at the time, the state was paying on enrollment anyway. But, they would just record 7-5 or whatever the contracted hours were, even if the child was later or earlier. During a "sweep" for fraud, these providers got into big ol' trouble.
Unregistered 12:57 PM 11-06-2013
Op here. Crafty is right that is how I figured it. Blah! I know what I need to do now to do it. Hopefully she will have good news today about the whole thing.
GKJNIGMN 01:02 PM 11-06-2013
I take almost exclusively kids on childcare assistance. Pick up the phone and call if you can. I have seen some people say their state doesn't allow it. I live in Pennsylvania and I just pick up their phone and call their case worker if they haven't called me or mailed me anything by the time they are wanting to start. They confirm with me right then when their start date is, what days and hours they are approved for and how much their copay is.

Also, always require them to pay up front and have them pay at least a one week deposit of their copay amount if nothing else. I have had people no show for 5 days in a row which is the point that my state requires me to notify them. The state pays me for those 5 days but if part of the 5 days is in a second week and they never show up to pay me that weeks copay amount, I lose it.
Unregistered 01:04 PM 11-06-2013
Op again....

I haven't spoken to her caseworkers. it was someone from the state who helps providers set up their end. she is the ome who told me about no care plan. I only bill for when dcb is here. That is how each invoice reads.
TwinKristi 01:19 PM 11-06-2013
I have had 2 different alternate payment programs pay me for services in the past and both straight up said "do not render services without your authorization forms" as they won't guarantee payment without it!
Really sucks that you have no one to call! She needs to get on it!
Cradle2crayons 02:52 PM 11-06-2013
Here, I require the parent pay 100% out of pocket until I get emailed the child's voucher certificate. On there is he start date, weekly amount , copay, etc.

Once I have a start day, then I split up the amounts. Once I receive a check, if mom is due a refund, I give it then.
Jack Sprat 05:57 PM 11-06-2013
All my other parents pre-pay. I went against that in this case and accepted dcb into care with out pre-payment as she was just starting new job and didn't have a check yet. Then I agreed to her letting her pay every two weeks but, only figuring her parent pay portion, not requesting her pay the whole amount and then reimbursing. I drafted a letter for her and copies of all her invoices. Stated that the amount is due in full by 11/15. This way she does have time to contact DCF and figure things out. If next Friday arrives and I have no payment I will term. I have also included a copy of the handbook where it talks about late payments and DCF pay. I called our local DCF office and they gave me no more information then what I had. She did say that they do process those fairly quickly and if she hadn't turned in her paperwork yet, I may not be paid for the month of October.

Blah! I have so learned my lesson. To top it all off she has had time to get a loan for an new SUV, get it tagged and insured etc but, not to pay for her child's care.
Willow 08:16 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
All my other parents pre-pay. I went against that in this case and accepted dcb into care with out pre-payment as she was just starting new job and didn't have a check yet. Then I agreed to her letting her pay every two weeks but, only figuring her parent pay portion, not requesting her pay the whole amount and then reimbursing. I drafted a letter for her and copies of all her invoices. Stated that the amount is due in full by 11/15. This way she does have time to contact DCF and figure things out. If next Friday arrives and I have no payment I will term. I have also included a copy of the handbook where it talks about late payments and DCF pay. I called our local DCF office and they gave me no more information then what I had. She did say that they do process those fairly quickly and if she hadn't turned in her paperwork yet, I may not be paid for the month of October.

Blah! I have so learned my lesson. To top it all off she has had time to get a loan for an new SUV, get it tagged and insured etc but, not to pay for her child's care.
Please don't give her another week of your time when you've already given her FIVE. With a new vehicle under her belt I'd demand payment tomorrow before drop off ( or at the very least half). I hope you have a wait list or have interviews set up to fill the spot. 99 times out of 100 they bolt after taking advantage of your kindness for as long as possible. I hope you don't end up working another whole week for free because you're too nice to expect what is rightfully yours over her picking up the equivalent of a luxary item.

I work my butt off. Don't get assistance and certainly don't have a new vehicle.....thats complete bologna.
Reply Up