Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default 2 Licenses, 1 Home

Here's the scoop:

My plan was to grow my in-home daycare from 6 children to 12 children. My states has a different license based on a large daycare or a small daycare.

Apparently the township I live in has just recently decided that they will no longer allow in-home daycares to be licensed to have 12 children because it's considered a business and they don't allow business in homes. I was DEVASTATED to find this out. Our home is perfect for a large daycare. We have a completely different entrance for the daycare. Separate rooms in our home for the daycare. A circle driveway with 2 parking spaces just for daycare. A 1 acre fenced in yard, etc.

So my hubby came up with this idea.

What if we had 2 licenses for our home. One license under my name and another license under his name. That would then allow for a 12 child daycare. Of course, then hubby would stay home and work the daycare with me.

Do you think that would be allowed and a way for us to have the large daycare??? Or is this just a crazy idea that would probably never fly in the world of licensed daycares.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

I am guessing licensing wouldn't allow it. But I would talk to a lawyer. I am not sure a township can prevent you from having a business in your home. And.... Even a small home daycare is a business.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would bet that your licensing laws include a provision that says something to the effect of one license per address. That said, municipalities can set limits beyond what the state licensing allows. For instance, in our city limits the zoning laws limit home childcares to 12 plus the owners own children. The state allows a maximum of 30 on that group license but we can still only have 12 plus our own. That said, you could always ask your zoning commission (or whatever office oversees the use of property) to see if there is a variance process set up so you could apply for the right to have the larger capacity in your home. Whether they allow for it or not is another story.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaone View Post
Here's the scoop:

My plan was to grow my in-home daycare from 6 children to 12 children. My states has a different license based on a large daycare or a small daycare.

Apparently the township I live in has just recently decided that they will no longer allow in-home daycares to be licensed to have 12 children because it's considered a business and they don't allow business in homes. I was DEVASTATED to find this out. Our home is perfect for a large daycare. We have a completely different entrance for the daycare. Separate rooms in our home for the daycare. A circle driveway with 2 parking spaces just for daycare. A 1 acre fenced in yard, etc.

So my hubby came up with this idea.

What if we had 2 licenses for our home. One license under my name and another license under his name. That would then allow for a 12 child daycare. Of course, then hubby would stay home and work the daycare with me.

Do you think that would be allowed and a way for us to have the large daycare??? Or is this just a crazy idea that would probably never fly in the world of licensed daycares.

"4. A license is issued to a specific person at a specific address. If you plan to move, contact licensing prior to the move so that you can apply for a license at your new address. If you move to a new address and do not contact this office, your license is no longer valid at the new address."

You live in the same house so you would just be co-licensed for the same address.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Daycare.com Member

I was really hoping there was a way around this. Can I have a profitable business when I'm restricted to just 6 kids???
Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I was really hoping there was a way around this. Can I have a profitable business when I'm restricted to just 6 kids???
I have 6 kids and it's good money in my location. However, I want to also expand. Depends on what you spend I would assume.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
I have 6 kids and it's good money in my location. However, I want to also expand. Depends on what you spend I would assume.
You bring a valid point! With more kiddos comes more expenses.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
I am guessing licensing wouldn't allow it. But I would talk to a lawyer. I am not sure a township can prevent you from having a business in your home. And.... Even a small home daycare is a business.

My city has daycare rules that, according to the state, are unenforceable and the state flat out tells us that following the city's ordinances are voluntary because they aren't legal. I'd definitely speak to a lawyer or at least state licensing for more info.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 AM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

Call your local zoning about how you get a variance. Not only will you get the process explained, you might be able to get an idea on how likely getting one is. Also talk to a local lawyer about the ordinances. I would talk to your rep, but take whatever they say with a grain of salt till you talk to the lawyer. Some reps think that because they're from the state it supersedes local ordinances, but that's not always the case.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Can I have a profitable business when I'm restricted to just 6 kids???
I have been limited to 6 kids since the mid 90's. I am profitable.

Think niche, my friend.

Many, many providers have come up with your idea. Many have tried. It will get your license pulled permanently and can land you in jail. Don't risk it.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I have been limited to 6 kids since the mid 90's. I am profitable.

Think niche, my friend.

Many, many providers have come up with your idea. Many have tried. It will get your license pulled permanently and can land you in jail. Don't risk it.
No way will I try to do this if it's something that could cause me to lose my license or go to jail! That's why I came here to ask you lovely ladies to see if anyone has done this.

I will talk with a lawyer and see what my options are! I'm thinking a variance might be my best bet.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Quote:
No way will I try to do this if it's something that could cause me to lose my license or go to jail! That's why I came here to ask you lovely ladies to see if anyone has done this.

I will talk with a lawyer and see what my options are! I'm thinking a variance might be my best bet.
Duplex
Old 05-10-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Duplex
I see what you did there.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Daycare.com Member

Or a multifamily home. 1 home daycare down stairs. 1 upstairs.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Duplex
We have a provider here that does this.

She owns the duplex and provides care on one side while renting out the other side to another provider who runs a separate child care. Each are licensed individually.

Neither provider actually live at the duplex.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I see what you did there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
Or a multifamily home. 1 home daycare down stairs. 1 upstairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

She owns the duplex and provides care on one side while renting out the other side to another provider who runs a separate child care. Each are licensed individually.

Not allowed in WI...
Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Day Care Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I am thinking it might be awkward to term a family, and then start attending next door.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

In most states you would need separate quarters.Also you both could not be outside at the same time.I made quite enough money with 6 children especially when my husband worked his job to. Price your tuition to make a fair amount.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:42 AM
Day Care Owner

Ask Tom about it. Here is his recent blog post about a simlier subject. http://tomcopelandblog.com/may-paren...oll-tax-issues

Tags
license, ratio - large group, ratio - over limit