Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2016, 06:15 PM
yodaone's Avatar
yodaone yodaone is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 71
Default 2 Licenses, 1 Home

Here's the scoop:

My plan was to grow my in-home daycare from 6 children to 12 children. My states has a different license based on a large daycare or a small daycare.

Apparently the township I live in has just recently decided that they will no longer allow in-home daycares to be licensed to have 12 children because it's considered a business and they don't allow business in homes. I was DEVASTATED to find this out. Our home is perfect for a large daycare. We have a completely different entrance for the daycare. Separate rooms in our home for the daycare. A circle driveway with 2 parking spaces just for daycare. A 1 acre fenced in yard, etc.

So my hubby came up with this idea.

What if we had 2 licenses for our home. One license under my name and another license under his name. That would then allow for a 12 child daycare. Of course, then hubby would stay home and work the daycare with me.

Do you think that would be allowed and a way for us to have the large daycare??? Or is this just a crazy idea that would probably never fly in the world of licensed daycares.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

I am guessing licensing wouldn't allow it. But I would talk to a lawyer. I am not sure a township can prevent you from having a business in your home. And.... Even a small home daycare is a business.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2016, 06:45 PM
heyhun77's Avatar
heyhun77 heyhun77 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 370
Default

I would bet that your licensing laws include a provision that says something to the effect of one license per address. That said, municipalities can set limits beyond what the state licensing allows. For instance, in our city limits the zoning laws limit home childcares to 12 plus the owners own children. The state allows a maximum of 30 on that group license but we can still only have 12 plus our own. That said, you could always ask your zoning commission (or whatever office oversees the use of property) to see if there is a variance process set up so you could apply for the right to have the larger capacity in your home. Whether they allow for it or not is another story.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaone View Post
Here's the scoop:

My plan was to grow my in-home daycare from 6 children to 12 children. My states has a different license based on a large daycare or a small daycare.

Apparently the township I live in has just recently decided that they will no longer allow in-home daycares to be licensed to have 12 children because it's considered a business and they don't allow business in homes. I was DEVASTATED to find this out. Our home is perfect for a large daycare. We have a completely different entrance for the daycare. Separate rooms in our home for the daycare. A circle driveway with 2 parking spaces just for daycare. A 1 acre fenced in yard, etc.

So my hubby came up with this idea.

What if we had 2 licenses for our home. One license under my name and another license under his name. That would then allow for a 12 child daycare. Of course, then hubby would stay home and work the daycare with me.

Do you think that would be allowed and a way for us to have the large daycare??? Or is this just a crazy idea that would probably never fly in the world of licensed daycares.

"4. A license is issued to a specific person at a specific address. If you plan to move, contact licensing prior to the move so that you can apply for a license at your new address. If you move to a new address and do not contact this office, your license is no longer valid at the new address."

You live in the same house so you would just be co-licensed for the same address.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 PM
yodaone's Avatar
yodaone yodaone is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 71
Default

I was really hoping there was a way around this. Can I have a profitable business when I'm restricted to just 6 kids???
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaone View Post
I was really hoping there was a way around this. Can I have a profitable business when I'm restricted to just 6 kids???
I have 6 kids and it's good money in my location. However, I want to also expand. Depends on what you spend I would assume.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 PM
yodaone's Avatar
yodaone yodaone is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
I have 6 kids and it's good money in my location. However, I want to also expand. Depends on what you spend I would assume.
You bring a valid point! With more kiddos comes more expenses.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
I am guessing licensing wouldn't allow it. But I would talk to a lawyer. I am not sure a township can prevent you from having a business in your home. And.... Even a small home daycare is a business.


My city has daycare rules that, according to the state, are unenforceable and the state flat out tells us that following the city's ordinances are voluntary because they aren't legal. I'd definitely speak to a lawyer or at least state licensing for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,193
Default

Call your local zoning about how you get a variance. Not only will you get the process explained, you might be able to get an idea on how likely getting one is. Also talk to a local lawyer about the ordinances. I would talk to your rep, but take whatever they say with a grain of salt till you talk to the lawyer. Some reps think that because they're from the state it supersedes local ordinances, but that's not always the case.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaone View Post
Can I have a profitable business when I'm restricted to just 6 kids???
I have been limited to 6 kids since the mid 90's. I am profitable.

Think niche, my friend.

Many, many providers have come up with your idea. Many have tried. It will get your license pulled permanently and can land you in jail. Don't risk it.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 AM
yodaone's Avatar
yodaone yodaone is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I have been limited to 6 kids since the mid 90's. I am profitable.

Think niche, my friend.

Many, many providers have come up with your idea. Many have tried. It will get your license pulled permanently and can land you in jail. Don't risk it.
No way will I try to do this if it's something that could cause me to lose my license or go to jail! That's why I came here to ask you lovely ladies to see if anyone has done this.

I will talk with a lawyer and see what my options are! I'm thinking a variance might be my best bet.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaone View Post
No way will I try to do this if it's something that could cause me to lose my license or go to jail! That's why I came here to ask you lovely ladies to see if anyone has done this.

I will talk with a lawyer and see what my options are! I'm thinking a variance might be my best bet.
Duplex
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-10-2016, 11:09 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Duplex
I see what you did there.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 AM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 782
Default

Or a multifamily home. 1 home daycare down stairs. 1 upstairs.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Duplex
We have a provider here that does this.

She owns the duplex and provides care on one side while renting out the other side to another provider who runs a separate child care. Each are licensed individually.

Neither provider actually live at the duplex.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I see what you did there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912 View Post
Or a multifamily home. 1 home daycare down stairs. 1 upstairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
We have a provider here that does this.

She owns the duplex and provides care on one side while renting out the other side to another provider who runs a separate child care. Each are licensed individually.

Neither provider actually live at the duplex.

Not allowed in WI...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
We have a provider here that does this.

She owns the duplex and provides care on one side while renting out the other side to another provider who runs a separate child care. Each are licensed individually.

Neither provider actually live at the duplex.
I am thinking it might be awkward to term a family, and then start attending next door.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-11-2016, 12:17 PM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,260
Default

In most states you would need separate quarters.Also you both could not be outside at the same time.I made quite enough money with 6 children especially when my husband worked his job to. Price your tuition to make a fair amount.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-12-2016, 05:42 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,059
Default

Ask Tom about it. Here is his recent blog post about a simlier subject. http://tomcopelandblog.com/may-paren...oll-tax-issues
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
license, ratio - large group, ratio - over limit

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice Needed on Home Tasks LNO27 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 05-05-2016 08:26 PM
Sale of Home and New Construction Crossing Over Tax Year... Yikes! tn0087 Daycare and Taxes 5 03-05-2016 08:36 AM
Business/Legal Concerns When Day Care Is Run Out Of Home That Is Not Owned By You? Unregistered Daycare and Taxes 1 02-26-2014 11:06 AM
Two Licenses, One Home Calikate Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-09-2014 03:36 PM
Switching From A Church Daycare To Home Daycare Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 7 12-03-2012 09:50 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming