Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-05-2016, 10:56 AM
bklsmum's Avatar
bklsmum bklsmum is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 559
Default Peanut Allergy

So I had an interview set up with a prospective DCF this week. Mom and I talked before hand and she asked questions and all was well until she showed up for the interview and THEN told me her child had a severe peanut allergy. UGH! How do you not lead with that when asking questions BEFORE the interview?! I told her I couldn't accommodate a peanut allergy safely and apologized and sent her on her way.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,668
Default

How severe is severe? Did she tell you that the child can't be in the house with peanut products?

My child has a severe peanut allergy, but it's only triggered by contact or ingestion. So she did fine in family day care; the providers just agreed to make sure nobody sent in any peanuts, and they only fed her what I sent in.

Of course, any day care provider should have training on epinephrine injection, but I also reviewed with them using the trainer. They were all comfortable with it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2016, 02:23 PM
mommyneedsadayoff's Avatar
mommyneedsadayoff mommyneedsadayoff is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,751
Default

Did she bring the child too? If so, that's a dangerous thing to do I have seen others ask about this same situation, so it's not totally uncommon. I think they don't say anything bc when they do, they probably get turned away more quickly, but withholding important info about your child is also not the best idea either.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I start a conversation about eating during the phone interview. That helps me find the self-diagnosed allergy parents too. BTDT and I am not interested in going down that road unless they are willing to submit a proper allergy plan.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-05-2016, 05:23 PM
bklsmum's Avatar
bklsmum bklsmum is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 559
Default

She said he couldn't be anywhere near it and had to have an epi-pen with them at all times. Fortunately we were having the interview on the porch so he could play outside while we talked.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,668
Default

That's odd, yes.

I have a difficult family and am working to get them in line--in small doses so they don't leave in a huff. It took two months to get the immunization records out of them. This week we're working on a biting game plan. Then it'll be time to deal with "Oops. Can I pay next week?"

So the following week is going to be, "When I said no outside food because of allergies in the house, I really did mean it. Please don't send in any food they didn't finish from breakfast."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2016, 06:53 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklsmum View Post
She said he couldn't be anywhere near it and had to have an epi-pen with them at all times. Fortunately we were having the interview on the porch so he could play outside while we talked.
That might be a little dramatic. The allergy could be both contact and ingestion, but he's not going to have air contact with peanuts.

I have a little guy with a serious tree nut allergy. Mom supplies the food and I make sure that the children don't share. I also have an epipin on site. So far, it hasn't been as big an issue as I thought it would be.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2016, 04:42 AM
lblanke's Avatar
lblanke lblanke is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: South
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
Did she bring the child too? If so, that's a dangerous thing to do
Yes dangerous to withhold from your prospective provider but not dangerous for most to attend an interview.

Most kids with peanut allergy can do anything that other kids can do except ingest peanuts. My child has a severe life threatening peanut allergy but plays in parks, inflatables, flies on commercial airlines, has been on Disney Cruises, has attended preschool from the age of 18 months (no incidents so far). We rarely eat out but otherwise live a normal life.

We were not turned away from any daycare, although we were most comfortable with the one we chose. Parents send in all food. She eats what we send. Her room is peanut & tree nut free but not the school. They have a common playground. I send her own treats for birthdays and a safe snack box for surprises (music teacher brought marshmallows that may contain nuts so she had a safe snack from her stash).

Home day care might be hard if meals included because checking labels can be tricky due to labeling laws & inconsistent labeling. Preschool has worked great (1 snack, 1 meal 5 days per week for 3 years so far).

You are exactly right that mom should have lead with that though. I had one director say I didn't ask at all about safety after peppering her with food questions (I asked about 15 questions about food prep & service) looked at 1 month of menus) & I thought food safety is my # 1 priority.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 AM
mommyneedsadayoff's Avatar
mommyneedsadayoff mommyneedsadayoff is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklsmum View Post
She said he couldn't be anywhere near it and had to have an epi-pen with them at all times. Fortunately we were having the interview on the porch so he could play outside while we talked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lblanke View Post
Yes dangerous to withhold from your prospective provider but not dangerous for most to attend an interview.

Most kids with peanut allergy can do anything that other kids can do except ingest peanuts. My child has a severe life threatening peanut allergy but plays in parks, inflatables, flies on commercial airlines, has been on Disney Cruises, has attended preschool from the age of 18 months (no incidents so far). We rarely eat out but otherwise live a normal life.

We were not turned away from any daycare, although we were most comfortable with the one we chose. Parents send in all food. She eats what we send. Her room is peanut & tree nut free but not the school. They have a common playground. I send her own treats for birthdays and a safe snack box for surprises (music teacher brought marshmallows that may contain nuts so she had a safe snack from her stash).

Home day care might be hard if meals included because checking labels can be tricky due to labeling laws & inconsistent labeling. Preschool has worked great (1 snack, 1 meal 5 days per week for 3 years so far).

You are exactly right that mom should have lead with that though. I had one director say I didn't ask at all about safety after peppering her with food questions (I asked about 15 questions about food prep & service) looked at 1 month of menus) & I thought food safety is my # 1 priority.
OP said mom said he can't be anywhere near it. Is she exaggerating? Maybe, I don't know. But if my child had a life threatening allergy and could not be anywhere near the cause of it, I would not go into a perfect strangers house without finding out more info and alerting them so they can warn me if there is an issue. For all i know, they are growing peanuts in their backyard.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Second Home's Avatar
Second Home Second Home is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,569
Default

I have a friend who's child can not eat or come into contact with peanuts . Just touching something that has peanut oil on it will cause a severe reaction ( epi-pen and er) .
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,667
Default

My child has a peanut allergy and my program is 100% peanut free. We do not keep peanut products in the home period. There are so many people with peanut allergies I would not want to risk it in a group setting --- this was the same policy my dd's university preschool had as well. Dd is now school age and she goes to a school that allows them, I am fine with that now that she is older and can be more responsible for her own actions with regard to food.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-07-2016, 05:08 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklsmum View Post
So I had an interview set up with a prospective DCF this week. Mom and I talked before hand and she asked questions and all was well until she showed up for the interview and THEN told me her child had a severe peanut allergy. UGH! How do you not lead with that when asking questions BEFORE the interview?! I told her I couldn't accommodate a peanut allergy safely and apologized and sent her on her way.
Read this entire thread:

http://daycare.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=butter
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,668
Default

One of my families keeps sending in food and bottles when I've told them there's a "No outside food" rule due to a peanut allergy. It's in the signed handbook, too. Today they sent in sippy cups. One had peanut butter smeared on it.

Who's the patron saint of finding a replacement day care family?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-07-2016, 11:51 AM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,844
Default

If you discover one let me know lol I could use some help filling my spaces that will be empty come January
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
peanut allergy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Incidental Medical Service IMF with Peanut Allergy Child Blue sky Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 12-16-2015 07:28 AM
Not Sure What to Think - Peanut Allergy Tasha Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 159 07-23-2015 01:16 PM
Peanut Allergy roxy1 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 04-03-2014 08:43 AM
Any Of Your Dcks Have A Peanut Allergy? SunflowerMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 12-13-2010 11:47 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming