Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Have a No Cell-Phone Policy?
sahm1225 12:23 PM 08-14-2018
I can’t believe I even have to ask - but does anyone have it in their handbooks that iPads and cellphones are not allowed at daycare.
I have am SA that showed up with an iPad and a cell phone. Obviously I don’t want either in my daycare, but need to figure out how to wordi it. In the past, during snow days, I’ve allowed iPads for 30 minutes during Naptime, but iPads were handed to me in the morning and I gave it to the SA. We don’t have a TV at daycare.

This is a long term family. It just surprised me that according to SA dcm said it was okay to play iPad all day (and I’m sure dcm said that). But that just seems silly to pay me to watch SA kid just to let him play electronics all day. Dcm thought it was hilarious that SA kid went through 8gigsbiyes of date in 2 weeks. Not even sure what that means, but I have 2gigs that I share with my family?
Country Kids 01:00 PM 08-14-2018
Yes I have had to for years when kiddo's started arriving with these items.
MarinaVanessa 01:28 PM 08-14-2018
Not specifically but I have a "no items/food from home" policy.
Mike 06:33 PM 08-14-2018
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I can’t believe I even have to ask - but does anyone have it in their handbooks that iPads and cellphones are not allowed at daycare.
I have am SA that showed up with an iPad and a cell phone. Obviously I don’t want either in my daycare, but need to figure out how to wordi it. In the past, during snow days, I’ve allowed iPads for 30 minutes during Naptime, but iPads were handed to me in the morning and I gave it to the SA. We don’t have a TV at daycare.

This is a long term family. It just surprised me that according to SA dcm said it was okay to play iPad all day (and I’m sure dcm said that). But that just seems silly to pay me to watch SA kid just to let him play electronics all day. Dcm thought it was hilarious that SA kid went through 8gigsbiyes of date in 2 weeks. Not even sure what that means, but I have 2gigs that I share with my family?
8GB of data in 2 weeks means he's watching movies, or downloading pretty sophisticated games.
Michael 11:35 PM 08-14-2018
Here are some previous threads on Cell Phone Policy: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...l+phone+policy
DaveA 03:30 AM 08-15-2018
One thing I've ran into the last couple years is even the younger grades get assigned some work that has to be done online. So at 3rd grade plus it's not unusual to see kid with a device. I don't ban them outright but don't let them get them out either.
hwichlaz 08:41 AM 08-15-2018
I have a “nothing from home” policy.
Pestle 11:03 AM 08-15-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I have a “nothing from home” policy.
Ditto.

Even if it's not in your handbook, it's well within your scope of authority as the presiding grown-up to say "I'm putting the electronics up until you go home."
Meeko 07:56 AM 08-16-2018
Nothing from home. No electronics, no toys, no blankies. Nothing.
storybookending 08:14 AM 08-16-2018
Another vote for the nothing from home ever boat. I do allow a blankie if they “need” it but it goes on their bed when they get here and the counter after nap. If they “need” it they can go lay on their beds with it at any time. Funny how when that is the option no one “needs” it anymore. The ones that start as babes I encourage parents to just let me use one I have here.

I had a grandma start doing drop offs for my 1 year old that has been here since April now. She came in on Tuesday on her first day of drops offs with a blankie nuk and diaper bag in tow. She was so relived when I told her we had everything here for dcb already and all she needed to worry about was that he comes dressed! I love it.
daycarediva 11:06 AM 08-16-2018
Just had a 3yo bring in HER phone. THAT was new.

I have a no electronics policy. Yes SA have tablets to do school work on, but I don't accept SA kids so that's a non issue.

sahm1225 05:14 PM 08-17-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Just had a 3yo bring in HER phone. THAT was new.

I have a no electronics policy. Yes SA have tablets to do school work on, but I don't accept SA kids so that's a non issue.

Why, but why???! What a ridiculous And expensive toy
MarinaVanessa 12:33 PM 08-20-2018
Originally Posted by sahm1225:

Why, but why???! What a ridiculous And expensive toy
I've had this also. An almost 3 year old walked in with a phone in hand recently and I pointed it out to DCD thinking it was Dad's phone. Nope, it was DCB's phone. Dad had upgraded his and gave the old one to DCB. I asked DCB for it and handed it to DCD and reminded him of the "nothing from home rule" and he said
"Yeah, I wasn't going to leave it. I was taking it back with me to the car".

I had to explain that "nothing from home" means nothing comes inside my home and pointed out that the phone has a glass screen and that if DCB drops it that the screen can break and he can hurt himself or someone else here or at home.
It had never occurred to him that a phone with a glass screen, no case or screencover was not a good toy
Tags:cell phone policy, items from childs home
Reply Up