Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default Need Help Terming

I have a family that has been in care for just over 2 months. We did not get off to the best start and I should have cancelled services when she tried to back out before care started but I gave her a chance. Long story short, she wanted a refund when she paid for his first week with a signed contract 2 weeks before he was to start. Then she said they actually donít need care anymore and wanted a refund. I explained to her thatís not how things work and would not be issuing a refund.

DCB 14 months is only here 3 days a week. She tried to change his days for the first 3 or 4 weeks saying she was having a small procedure one week, another small procedure the second week, then had some emergency come up blah blah blah. These were all last minute changes, like the day before she needed to switch care. First he was coming from 7-3, then it turned into 7-4 and now itís 7-5. Back in November (on my birthday) my son had a mother/son dance and I had arranged early pickup for all my parents for all the kids to be gone by 5pm. Since her pickup time was by 4, I didnít have to worry about her, right? Wrong! She sent me a message at 3pm saying she had a family emergency out of town and now canít get her child until 5:30. I told her I had arranged early pickup because of the mother/son dance and he needed to be out the door by 5pm. She got snarky and said something about ruining my birthday plans and how itís inconvenient. They show up at 5:15. I was beyond pissed needed to leave to meet everyone at the restaurant.

Now when DCB first started I was not aware that he was on bottles ONLY! They said he doesnít like solid foods because heís lazy. I now have to spoon feed a child who is toddler baby food because he is unable to eat actual food. Iíve told them several times that they should bring this up to their pediatrician. He will gag, choke, spit up/out food if itís not purťed baby food. He is unable to feed himself AT ALL. To me, this is an infant spot that I do not have room for.

He also spits up and drools beyond anyone Iíve ever seen. They refuse to put a bib on him and I change his shirt at least twice because it will be completely soaked by the end of the day. None of the other kids want to be around him because he slobbers all over them and the toys they are playing with.

At this point Iím just beyond annoyed and donít really want to continue providing care. I wanted to term immediately but I donít know what I should say? Do I do it face to face or write it up. It just feels awkward if I hand them a termination letter while they are still at my house. Iíve only had to term one other time and that was because of violent behavior and I didnít really feel bad about it.

Thanks for reading my long rant. Iím just kind of venting at this point and looking for advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-18-2018, 01:34 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

Tell her in person at pick up tonight and also hand her a letter.

ďDear DCM

Today is Johnnyís last day of care. Your contract is terminated effective 12/18/31.

Signed,
Provider.Ē

I would not give any more reasons or excuses. Have someone else in the house while you do this if at all possible. I wouldíve had the childís stuff all packed up the day they were supposed to come at 4 and didnít show up until 5:15. I also would not have been nice about it, thatís one of the rudest stories Iíve heard on here.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,601
Default

Dear DCP

This letter serves as written notice of our child care contract.
The last day I am available to provide services is Dec xx, 2018.

Thank you

NOT your provider any more



Short and sweet and no reason given.

I would not explain. It's clear you are not the right program for them.
If they push for an explanation just say something like, "It's a business decision."

If they push more...

"It's business."


Rinse and repeat. You owe them no other explanations.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,960
Default

I always term through email. It works better for me and the family gets to digest the info before responding.

I would just let them know that due to some of the issues discussed (I assume you have discussed this with them) you are no longer able to provide care for their child. As per the contract you are being given a two week notice and last day of care is X.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2018, 05:49 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
Tell her in person at pick up tonight and also hand her a letter.

“Dear DCM

Today is Johnny’s last day of care. Your contract is terminated effective 12/18/31.

Signed,
Provider.”

I would not give any more reasons or excuses. Have someone else in the house while you do this if at all possible. I would’ve had the child’s stuff all packed up the day they were supposed to come at 4 and didn’t show up until 5:15. I also would not have been nice about it, that’s one of the rudest stories I’ve heard on here.
I absolutely agree. 75 minutes late would have been a $150 late fee due immediately and a termination on the spot. The spot wouldn't have been my home, either. I'd have taken the child with me to the dance and let the mom drive to you to pick him up. Actually, by 75 minutes late, I'd have probably had CPS come pick up the child. I've taken them with me when parents are 15 minutes late, but by that long, I'd have likely had the child picked up.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I absolutely agree. 75 minutes late would have been a $150 late fee due immediately and a termination on the spot. The spot wouldn't have been my home, either. I'd have taken the child with me to the dance and let the mom drive to you to pick him up. Actually, by 75 minutes late, I'd have probably had CPS come pick up the child. I've taken them with me when parents are 15 minutes late, but by that long, I'd have likely had the child picked up.
That right there is totally disrespectful.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2018, 05:59 AM
Pestle's Avatar
Pestle Pestle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,667
Default

Wow; I just read over the part about the late pick up. Yes, termination on the spot for things like that. Don't let your clients reach into your family's time and ruin it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2018, 07:13 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,260
Default

What does your contract say?Do you need to give notice?I would be inclined to give them until the end of next week.What days do you expect him next week.Dear parent As of Dec 28th I will no longer offer care to xxx.I feel this is not a good fit for xxx.I would send a text today and have a written letter at pick up. This way you are giving them a chance to setup care.I would have termed when they picked up late and gave you attitude.This way you look like the good guy.If pressed I would say feeding issues and part time care our the reason.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieteddy View Post
What does your contract say?Do you need to give notice?I would be inclined to give them until the end of next week.What days do you expect him next week.Dear parent As of Dec 28th I will no longer offer care to xxx.I feel this is not a good fit for xxx.I would send a text today and have a written letter at pick up. This way you are giving them a chance to setup care.I would have termed when they picked up late and gave you attitude.This way you look like the good guy.If pressed I would say feeding issues and part time care our the reason.
Itís in my contract that I can term immediately for any reason I deem necessary. They gave me a post dated check this week that could be deposited today when monies were due on Monday. DCM said they were catching up because of Christmas shopping. Like oh really because I donít have my own Christmas shopping to do or feed my family. Anyways, they paid for this week and next and I am terming next Friday. Already today she asked to switch days next week so she could get out of paying me for Christmas Eve. Once again, I had to go over that itís in the contract that Christmas Eve and day are paid holidays. Iím just so done with this family.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Firefly's Avatar
Firefly Firefly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 128
Default

I guess Christmas shopping is more important than paying your bills. You will be relieved when they are gone.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-20-2018, 07:22 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,260
Default

Your contract covers you.Make sure the money is in your account then give notice.''Sorry DCParent this is not working out.Last day of care will be Friday after Christmas/or whatever the last day next week is."Be prepared she could react badly.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-20-2018, 10:03 AM
littlefriends's Avatar
littlefriends littlefriends is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
Itís in my contract that I can term immediately for any reason I deem necessary. They gave me a post dated check this week that could be deposited today when monies were due on Monday. DCM said they were catching up because of Christmas shopping. Like oh really because I donít have my own Christmas shopping to do or feed my family. Anyways, they paid for this week and next and I am terming next Friday. Already today she asked to switch days next week so she could get out of paying me for Christmas Eve. Once again, I had to go over that itís in the contract that Christmas Eve and day are paid holidays. Iím just so done with this family.
That would tick me off to no end!!!! Iíd have told her sure you can post date the check and when Iím able to cash it is the next time you can drop dck off.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-20-2018, 11:44 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefriends View Post
That would tick me off to no end!!!! Iíd have told her sure you can post date the check and when Iím able to cash it is the next time you can drop dck off.
Yes, wouldn't post dating a check essentially be the same as paying late; did you charge late fees??
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Did you take the check to her bank and cash it, or did you deposit it? I would worry about the dang thing bouncing!

If you know it's cleared, I would give her notice, with an ending date of (last day of week) next week. Maybe you'l get lucky and she'll be mad enough to not show up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Did you take the check to her bank and cash it, or did you deposit it? I would worry about the dang thing bouncing!

If you know it's cleared, I would give her notice, with an ending date of (last day of week) next week. Maybe you'l get lucky and she'll be mad enough to not show up.
Hey!!! Waving hello!! How are you?! How have you been?!? Long time....!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Hey!!! Waving hello!! How are you?! How have you been?!? Long time....!!
Yeah...long story..I am currently unemployed, got lonely, and decided to come visit after recommending the site to a friend in the childcare world.

I will post the long story sometime soon. Nice to "see" you too!

Anyone here need an administrator or teacher? lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
letter samples, termination letter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terming a Family: Short And Sweet or Detailed Letter? Lovisa Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 09-01-2015 04:16 PM
Terming! Ugh, Today Needs To End Great Beginnings Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 11-22-2013 08:21 PM
Considering Terming And Need Advice wdmmom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 26 02-27-2013 01:56 PM
Terming and New Clients brookeroo Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 09-13-2012 12:13 PM
Question About Terming Children kendallina Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 22 10-27-2010 02:08 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming