Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are You Closing for Halloween or the Day After?
Jo123ABC 12:36 PM 09-30-2019
is anyone closing for Halloween or the day after? I like to close the day after holidays like Halloween knowing that parents have had the kids up all night eating candy. I also wish I could close a little early on Halloween for my own kids but I don't think I should do either this year. I don't usually take many days off but I am pregnant and my Dr is 1.5 hours away so I'll probably need to use a bit more time off soon. I include 10 paid holidays to match my husband's schedule, 10 paid sick days, and 6 paid professional development/vacation days. I don't usually use all of my sick and vacation days. Starting Nov. 1, I'll have 3.5 sick days left over and 3 vacation days but I plan to use 2 of the vacation days for Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas this year. Last year my husband had open heart surgery and had major complications over Christmas so we missed out on spending much time with our 2 and 4 year old as he and I were stuck in the hospital fighting for his survival. So this year I want to try to stomp on the PTSD we feel thinking about Christmas and enjoy it with our little family
CountryRoads 01:57 PM 09-30-2019
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
is anyone closing for Halloween or the day after? I like to close the day after holidays like Halloween knowing that parents have had the kids up all night eating candy. I also wish I could close a little early on Halloween for my own kids but I don't think I should do either this year. I don't usually take many days off but I am pregnant and my Dr is 1.5 hours away so I'll probably need to use a bit more time off soon. I include 10 paid holidays to match my husband's schedule, 10 paid sick days, and 6 paid professional development/vacation days. I don't usually use all of my sick and vacation days. Starting Nov. 1, I'll have 3.5 sick days left over and 3 vacation days but I plan to use 2 of the vacation days for Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas this year. Last year my husband had open heart surgery and had major complications over Christmas so we missed out on spending much time with our 2 and 4 year old as he and I were stuck in the hospital fighting for his survival. So this year I want to try to stomp on the PTSD we feel thinking about Christmas and enjoy it with our little family

I close early on Halloween to take my kids on a Halloween walk thing. I'm debating closing for the day so I can attend my kids' school parties. Oh, how I miss going to those

One thing I've learned in this business is that you need to do what you want to do. I don't know if this is your case or not, but every time I've done (or not done) something to please my daycare families, it usually goes unnoticed and unappreciated. I always regret it. I wish families understood the sacrifices we make.

I can guarantee that if I don't close on Halloween, I'm going to be so mad at myself that I put my kids second to other peoples' kids.

So, close early on Halloween - and take off the next day if you want to! It only comes once a year. You're kids are going to love spending the extra time with you
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 09-30-2019
I am closed on Halloween and the day after this year.

I take either both or one or the other depending on how they fall in the week. This year it made sense to take both days off.

NOT a fan of Halloween.
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 09-30-2019
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
During those years in which I am open the day after Halloween, I have sent home notice with parents letting them know under NO circumstances should they allow their child to stay up too late and/or consume too much candy and that I will NOT hesitate to send anyone home that exhibits signs of a Halloween Hangover.

So if you do decide to stay open, I'd warn your parents now what your expectations are and don't be afraid to send someone home if need be.
Snowmom 03:17 PM 09-30-2019
This is the first year I remembered to schedule November 1st off. I'm so glad I did! The Halloween hangover is a beast.

I am open Halloween. Since all my families are gone at 4:30, it's never really interfered with my kid's Halloween fun. Plus our schools don't celebrate Halloween anymore. In their younger years, it was a "Fall Festival" that consisted of a few games, never costumes. Now, they don't do anything (3rd and 6th grade).

I'm sorry your family went through such hard times last Christmas. I hope you get some great family time in this year to make up for it. Never feel guilty about taking time off. We all need it!

Christmas Eve-New Years Day is typically my winter vacation. I have a clause in my contract that states if you are here October 1st of the calendar year, they are required to pay for the Christmas break. If they put in their notice between October 1st - January 1st, they must pay the break upon notice or their enrollment fee is forfeited.
I did that because I ALWAYS end up with having a client who puts notice in to avoid paid breaks.
Ac114 11:15 AM 10-01-2019
I’m closing at 4pm for Halloween. My normal close time is 5:30 and In the past I have closed at 5:00. I literally have that one parent that still doesn’t get here until 5:30. It happens every year. I’m considering closing on November 1st just because my birthday is November 2nd and it’s the mother son dance that evening.
LostMyMarbles 01:14 PM 10-01-2019
The day after Halloween is the worse day in daycare. I suck it up and work it. It’s just an early nap day here.
Ariana 03:34 PM 10-01-2019
I don’t but just do early nap. Easy day for me!
Jupadia 04:02 PM 10-01-2019
Not closing day after but do close by 5pm rather then my usual 6pm, I have it written in contract.
Unregistered 07:22 AM 10-02-2019
I used to take the kids trick or treating with us bc most parents were military and got out late. The day after Halloween, if it was a Fri, yep took it off..if not, no.
AmyKidsCo 01:16 PM 10-03-2019
I don't. I do tell the parents that Trick or Treating starts at 4 here and to let me know if they're picking up early to take their child. Some get the hint, some don't.
Baby Beluga 01:41 PM 10-03-2019
I don't.

I close at 5, ToT doesn't start here until 6ish. When I lived in Ohio, ToT times were posted in the newspaper. Here, nothing is posted. It's just "do it after dinner on Halloween night." Inevitably each year there are tons of posts on our community FB site asking what time ToT is. Seems like it would make more sense to have a set time and post it locally. Here many are moving away from traditional door to door ToT and are favoring trunk or treat events that are held in the evening and on the weekend.

I don't close the day after either. I just plan for a chaotic morning and adjust our schedule accordingly.
Lil_Diddle 11:36 PM 10-05-2019
Most people still work those days if they fall on a weekday, so I do to. And I know an extended break is coming for thanksgiving and Christmas. Halloween is always chaotic, and I do close early. The day after is usually a pajama day. Just a “whatever” day as I call it.
CeriBear 05:56 AM 10-06-2019
My center doesn’t close for Halloween but it seems parents pick up earlier to take the kids trick or treating. As to the day after I just expect a lot of the kids to be on a sugar high and or a Halloween hangover. I don’t plan a lot of structured or focused activities for that day and just go with the flow. If the weather is nice we spend times outdoors either the playground or going on a nature walk.
Annalee 06:01 AM 10-06-2019
Halloween is not a big deal around here. Most families have a fall party church event or go to the local school's "trick or trunk" to play games and have refreshments. These events have time-frames. I can't remember when we had a "trick or treater" stop by the house.

Really no different of a day than my clients running to ball games and eating fast food which they do most days then staying up till their parents go to bed because they co-sleep
e.j. 10:33 AM 10-06-2019
I'm closed on Fridays anyway so it's not an issue for me this year but I would be open the day after Halloween if it fell on any other week day. The day after Halloween has never been a big deal to me. I've never seen any huge difference in the kids' behavior but if the kids were that out of sorts on that day, I'd just assume they needed to sleep it off and we'd have an early nap time.
storybookending 06:50 PM 10-06-2019
I am staying open. I keep a smaller group and although this is only my 4th year I haven’t had any bad experiences on the day after Halloween. *crosses fingers* Trick or Treat times are typically like 5-7:30 here so kids aren’t out too late and most of my kiddos are picked up early. I would probably close early if I had my own young children. Now Christmas this year falls funny when I’m typically off the 24-26 and 31-1st. I’m not sure it pays to open up for two Mondays (my slow days) and one Friday.
Meeko 05:52 AM 10-07-2019
The day after Halloween should be officially called
"Pink Puke Day"....just saying....
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 10-07-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
The day after Halloween should be officially called
"Pink Puke Day"....just saying....

or "rainbow poo day...
Meeko 11:50 AM 10-07-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

or "rainbow poo day...
Or both!!

Rainbow Poo and Puke Day.....yep..that'll do it!
Tags:halloween - close early, halloween - closing, halloween hours, holiday policy
Reply Up