Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Ringworm - Mistreated
Mjck2006 10:00 AM 07-11-2011
My 4 year old has came in contact as many other children at our daycare,, its been 3 weeks. she was treated by Dr was told in 2 weeks can go swimming, its 3 weeks today. The daycare called me, said they didnt let her go and she was very upset, i called dr got my note FAXED to them for 2nd time, i decided to call back to see what she did today,, we are in Texas you know 100 degrees out,, well my 4 year old daughter had to sit out on the deck no shade in the heat for hr and a half while her class swam, why couldnt she go inside sit with another class, or in office, why must she sit in the heat no water to keep cool.. no anwser was given to me,, IM FURIOUS and heartbroken for my child.. i had her grandfahter pick her up, i will not be sending her back i do not care i am losing my money for the week,, isnt that a health risk..
Unregistered 11:41 AM 07-11-2011
Was this a daycare owned pool or field trip to a munipical or business owned pool? If she was allowed to be at daycare and around the other children and the recent ringworm illness didn't violate the pool's rules (ie timelines), she should have been allowed to go into the pool. If she wasn't going to be allowed, you should have been called immediately from the pool by your daycare or told ahead of time. I would report this to Texas licensing. Did you follow up with the daycare after your sent them the 1st dr. note so they knew she could go into the pool? Maybe there was some miscommunication. If they are refusing to give you answers or even to speak to you about this incident, I would find another daycare because there's no excuse for lack of answers upon being asked point blank. I would also report this entire thing you just posted here to Texas licensing. Your child could have had heat stroke or worse in that hot sun.
Cat Herder 11:51 AM 07-11-2011
I am sorry your daughter had to sit out.

I do have one question, though... Are her wounds still open and runny/oozing at all?
Crystal 01:28 PM 07-11-2011
That's odd. Ringworm is not contagiuos after 24 hours of antifungal treatment. What is the reasoning for two weeks?
Cat Herder 01:47 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
That's odd. Ringworm is not contagiuos after 24 hours of antifungal treatment. What is the reasoning for two weeks?
I was thinking the same.

More info would help to give a better answer.
youretooloud 02:38 PM 07-11-2011
I'd be livid and heartbroken too! I'm sorry... I'd absolutely have a "mature" fit today at pickup time. They should have let her do something very fun instead of sitting outside watching her friends swim.

I remember in 3rd grade, I pushed a lunchbox across the floor while we were in line to go to PE, and I was made to sit against the wall while all the other kids did the trampoline.

That's almost what this seems like they did to her... only she didn't do anything wrong.
familyschoolcare 05:13 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I was thinking the same.

More info would help to give a better answer.
I think the two weeks was just out of the water part of the treatment
familyschoolcare 05:19 PM 07-11-2011
It is not alright to have a child sit in the heat and do nothing, if that is what actually happened. I would ask your child see what she says get her take on it try to remember it may not be the whole story. However if the day care is unwilling or unable to tell you there side then it probably is at least close to what happened.

Did the child have access to water to drink? I am not familiar with the licensing rules in Texas but here in cal. children must always have access to water. (That does not mean that they need to carry a bottle/cup of water every where just that when they want water they do not have to wait for a teacher to have the time to take them to another room or inside to get it)
Hunni Bee 05:28 PM 07-18-2011
I know the pool we use will not allow kids who have open sores, runny noses, and other yucky things in the water. Okay, fine. We went to the pool friday and had to leave four kids out because their parents neglected to send their swimming things despite repeated reminders. The kids were upset, but there was nothing we could do-we didn't have any extras and we weren't going to cancel the whole thing.

But my problem is that the op's daughter was made to sit in the Texas afternoon heat with nothing to do and had to watch the other kids swim. That was just cruel to me. If she couldn't get in the pool, then she couldn't get in the pool but why wasn't she left inside the center? She could've gotten heatstroke, sunburned, and it was just plain cruel to make her sit there and watch when she hadn't done anything wrong.
Tags:exclusion, infectious disease, rash - open, ringworm
Reply Up