Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Siblings Die From Co-Sleeping
Country Kids 08:06 PM 05-22-2012
Caught this on the news tonight, I believe it was in Texas.

Parents co-slept with first sibling and it died in its sleep while in bed with parents. Looked like a tinier baby from the photos.

A year later or so, second baby that had been born after first babys death also dies while sleeping with parents. Once again a smaller baby.

Both slept on mothers side of the bed.

I believe they said both babies died of SIDS.

Mother was charged with child neglect and will possibly serve a 10 year sentence when sentenced later this month or next month.

Father was also charged but acquitted of charges.

I'm not sure if the mother is being charged because they both slept on her side of the bed or what. I thought it was very interesting because of the talk lately of co-sleeping.

They also, showed a video from the police interigatting her and she said the reason the co-slept was because the baby wouldn't sleep in the bassinett.
SunshineMama 04:27 AM 05-23-2012
It sounds like she was practicing unsafe co-sleeping, especially if it happened twice.

Also, the whole story sounds fishy to me. The chance of 2 siblings dying from SIDS is very low. You would think that this mother would take extra precautions if she had a trajedy the first time. There has to be more to this story that we don't know. Did they mention anything about drug/alcohol use, or the mother's overall mental state?

Here's an article on how to co-sleep safely:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sle...your-baby-safe
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 05-23-2012
Here is a link to the story. http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-cha...ry?id=13948339

Charges have been filed.
CheekyChick 07:14 AM 05-23-2012
That is so sad for those poor babies.
Country Kids 07:40 AM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is a link to the story. http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-cha...ry?id=13948339

Charges have been filed.
Thank you black cat! I can't ever figure out how to do that!
wdmmom 08:06 AM 05-23-2012
Idiots! If they lost their first child due to "SIDS", why in the he!! wouldn't they take the necessary precautions to PREVENT it from happening again?! Especially after taking classes and being EDUCATED on it!

It's really too bad these babies had to die but it sounds like they are better off where they are than to be in the custody of these nit wits!
safechner 11:35 AM 05-23-2012
I don't know what to think. Honestly, my husband and I took our first daughter to sleep with us on our bed when she was a month old until 4 years old. We also let our second daughter sleep with us when she was a month old until 3 years old and her sister too. They turned out fine. We love to sleep with our daughters but there was no longer more space for them to sleep with us. Both of my daughters sleep on their own beds when they were 4 and 3 years old ever since.

I am not sure if they did do something to their infants or not.
Country Kids 11:43 AM 05-23-2012
They didn't find any fowl play from what I understood, just the sids finding. So that makes me really wonder if maybe mom rolled on baby or not. I think though this case will start the beginning of more parents being charged with neglect if a child dies while co sleeping.
jokalima 12:00 PM 05-23-2012
My son is 20 months old, he has been sleeping with us in the bed since he was around 3-4 months maybe younger. At the beginning I refused to do it, but one night he was so sick and I just couldn't sit on a chair w.out falling asleep so I just felt the safest thing was to take him to bed, to my surprise my husband and I both did not move during the night, we had this way of placing the baby to rest in our arms so we could feel if he moved. He still cries @ night and we bring him to bed with us, we still do the same thing, we do not move.
Solandia 12:04 PM 05-23-2012
If the autopsy results is SIDS, and not suffocation...then SIDS it is. Not "SIDS" in quotes. Prior issues aside, I do not see how they can charge someone for a SIDS death, with or without the cosleeping aspect of it. The very meaning of SIDS is that it is a mystery.

This could be the beginnings for a very scary environment for daycare providers. If we go down the road that a SIDS death = criminal negligence or criminal neglect, I cannot imagine anyone taking that risk for a child other than their own.
SunshineMama 12:20 PM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:
If the autopsy results is SIDS, and not suffocation...then SIDS it is. Not "SIDS" in quotes. Prior issues aside, I do not see how they can charge someone for a SIDS death, with or without the cosleeping aspect of it. The very meaning of SIDS is that it is a mystery.

This could be the beginnings for a very scary environment for daycare providers. If we go down the road that a SIDS death = criminal negligence or criminal neglect, I cannot imagine anyone taking that risk for a child other than their own.
Oh my goodness you are so right! If it is a SIDS case, the baby would have died in the crib the same as with mom and dad, right? Because there is a distinction between SIDS and suffocation.

If they made SIDS a criminal offense I would never take care of a child under the age of 1 ever. It wouldn't be worth the potential liability.
Reply Up