Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mumbling
ABCDaycareMN 08:30 AM 04-10-2013
Suggestions on how to get a 2 yo girl to talk louder? I am finding myself growing frustrated straining to hear what she has to say.

When she is happy playing she talks normally but when cleaning up or transitioning to the next activity is when she starts her mumbling.

Ignoring her doesnt work. She will follow me still mumbling.
sharlan 08:39 AM 04-10-2013
I am having that problem with my 3 yo right now. I tell her to use her words and talk so that I can hear her. It's probably the wrong thing to do, but I tell her to go play toys until she can use her big girl words because I can't understand what she wants.

After about 2 weeks, it's finally working.
rmc20021 09:14 AM 04-10-2013
Oh my gosh...if only I could get my 5 yo to talk a lot softer. He yells constantly when he says ANYTHING...in this very annoying screechy voice. I'm constantly telling him to use inside voices, talk softer...that everyone can hear him ok without him yelling.

This boy is driving me nuts...constantly puts his fingers into his nose and then his mouth, constantly making shooting sounds, constantly falling down onto the floor in front of others...but this screechy loud whiney sounding voice is going to be the death of me.

I know how frustrating it is when a child speaks so softly you can't hear anything they're saying, but right now I'd gladly trade kids with you...
KnoxMom 09:22 AM 04-10-2013
I've had the same issue with my son (but not my daughter who is younger, surprisingly). I just tell him, "I'm sorry honey but I can't understand what you are saying. Come back when you are ready to use your big boy words". It took about a week and a half but he gets it now :-)
Tags:mumbling, speech issues
Reply Up