Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT - Neighbors Kids
ABCDaycareMN 06:40 PM 11-06-2013
This is something that has been getting to me for awhile now. First we live in a townhouse and our master bedroom butts up to our neighbors master bedroom but they only have a 2 bedroom so they gave their 2 boys the master so they can have a play room also in their room.

The boys are 5 and 3. Since this summer all we hear is running and banging next to our bedroom. It seriously sounds like a heard of wild animals... We are on a friendly level with the neighbors and I did text the mom one day a couple months ago when I got extremely frustrated when I was trying to nap in my bedroom. She didn't respond til like 6 that night claiming she didn't receive it... Not sure I believe that.

But anyway I have grown to hate Mondays and Thursdays when the mom is home and weekends and evenings I just cannot relax at all with all the running.

I do baby sit them occasionally, but I quit daycare when I was expecting our 3rd due in a week and a half.

I just don't know what to do about this. Talk to them again and have them dismiss it again? Contact our association and complain (I feel like we are on a more friendly level then that) but it's an option... Or write a post on fb complaining and hope they see it.

I'm hardly sleeping as it is and I just going to be getting less and less sleep soon and really don't want to have to deal with other peoples noisy kids because they are too lazy to teach them to use soft feet!!!

What do you think I should do? Move is not an option...
spinnymarie 06:54 PM 11-06-2013
I'd put up some sound proofing tiles on your side, or move bedrooms
Not to make light of your issue - that's seriously what I would do, as I generally avoid conflict if possible - and it sounds like there's probably not a lot they are going to do about it... I wouldn't be too pleased about a neighbor asking me to have my kids play quieter in my own house. Especially in the middle of the day.
Lucy 07:27 PM 11-06-2013
It's my experience that kids banging and jumping and such sounds a LOT louder from another room than it does in the room where it's happening. My point being, she probably doesn't think it's that loud on her end.

Have you ever worn soft ear plugs? They are actually quite comfortable, and you can still hear with them, they just soften sounds.

Another thing to think about ... you'll have a baby crying in the night pretty soon. I think she'll get a taste of her own medicine!
Attached: earplugs.JPG (40.0 KB) 
ABCDaycareMN 07:27 PM 11-06-2013
I just wanted to add that we do not hear any sounds it's just banging, running, jumping, ect. It's mainly on the floor... A sound barrier wouldn't do anything and switching bedrooms wouldn't do anything either, we would still hear it.

Picture Jumanji on the other side of the wall..!

I'm all for kids playing but this type of large motor playing needs to be outside. Which they rarely are...
Childminder 07:30 PM 11-06-2013
Get a sound machine! Conair has one for $10 that calms my life right down.
ABCDaycareMN 07:35 PM 11-06-2013
The parents are those who yell and don't follow thru. They are very lazy in parenting. They don't care what their kids do. They are most Likely ignoring it on a different level of their house.

Ear plugs won't work for this type of noise.

I so wish we were in The position to move now, I would pack up in a heartbeat!

Hopefully they move soon as they are planning to. Just haven't found anything yet.
preschoolteacher 07:40 PM 11-06-2013
I totally get your frustration, but I also think the kids have the right to play in their home, even loudly, and especially during daytime hours.

I would try to find ways to muffle the sound. Like others said, ear plugs, white noise, etc.

If you keep complaining to the mom, you'll end up with a bad relationship. Complaining to the association isn't likely to do much. A FB post is a bit passive aggressive and won't win you anything, either.

I have ear plugs that literally block out all noise. They are great. Or noise-cancelling headphones work too. Or you could just take to playing your own music when they start getting loud so you aren't just focusing in on the sounds...

Hopefully they move!
Lucy 07:42 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
Ear plugs won't work for this type of noise.
I really think you'd be surprised
I won't say it will block it out, but it will enable you to at least fall asleep. It really does soften sounds, and plus you are lulled by your own breathing sounds inside your head. I know that sounds weird, but it's quite soothing actually.
Play Care 03:11 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I totally get your frustration, but I also think the kids have the right to play in their home, even loudly, and especially during daytime hours.

I would try to find ways to muffle the sound. Like others said, ear plugs, white noise, etc.

If you keep complaining to the mom, you'll end up with a bad relationship. Complaining to the association isn't likely to do much. A FB post is a bit passive aggressive and won't win you anything, either.

I have ear plugs that literally block out all noise. They are great. Or noise-cancelling headphones work too. Or you could just take to playing your own music when they start getting loud so you aren't just focusing in on the sounds...

Hopefully they move!

Tags:loud, neighbor issue, quiet time
Reply Up