Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Boots in ANY stores?
AnneCordelia 12:48 PM 12-10-2013
I have been asking for winter boots for dcg14mo for about 6 weeks now. She has wintery robeez but we are in Canada and spent 2-3 hours outdoor daily....she needs something waterproof for toddling around my yard, and for the school walk.

Mom said two weeks ago that they can't afford them until payday next week. Now this week she says she's been to eight or nine major retailers and hasn't found a practical pair of boots in either girl or boy styles in size 4. Mom says we can put her winter robeez inside the way too big winter boots they have from older sis.

It was -10 today. This child cried the whole school walk with only robeez although I blanketed her.

His can I nicely text mom that she NEEDS boots. I tread carefully here because my dh wks with DCD. I hate sticky situations.
daycare 12:59 PM 12-10-2013
deny care until she has them. I know this sounds hard to do, but she has to follow the rules.

Do you have this in your ploicy
Cradle2crayons 01:02 PM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I have been asking for winter boots for dcg14mo for about 6 weeks now. She has wintery robeez but we are in Canada and spent 2-3 hours outdoor daily....she needs something waterproof for toddling around my yard, and for the school walk.

Mom said two weeks ago that they can't afford them until payday next week. Now this week she says she's been to eight or nine major retailers and hasn't found a practical pair of boots in either girl or boy styles in size 4. Mom says we can put her winter robeez inside the way too big winter boots they have from older sis.

It was -10 today. This child cried the whole school walk with only robeez although I blanketed her.

His can I nicely text mom that she NEEDS boots. I tread carefully here because my dh wks with DCD. I hate sticky situations.
Doesn't seem comp.icated to me. She can order boots online.

Dear dcm,
Proper fitting and weather appropriate clothes and footwear is REQUIRED at daycare. Poorly fitting shoes are a safety risk because of possible tripping. Please have appropriate shoes in the correct size for dck by xxxxxx.

Thanks,
Dcp
AnneCordelia 01:11 PM 12-10-2013
You're rig it isn't complicated. I'm just a chicken sh*t. Lol.

My contract simply says that children must come appropriately dressed for outdoor weather.

How long is appropriate to make a deadline? I have already been waiting so long.
daycare 01:15 PM 12-10-2013
IT is YOUR business, you decide when the deadline will be. I often allow parents a full 7 days to supply things when asked for something new or out of the ordinary.

if it is something that they need in order to be comfortable here or to keep them safe, then they need to have it before they can receive care.

If it is a seasonal item, again I would give 7 day deadline, but don't forget, this is your company, you get to make those calls.
AnneCordelia 01:42 PM 12-10-2013
I told her by Monday we need to have boots. Thanks for the backbone ladies. I don't care if she hits every store in Toronto this weekend her kid needs boots.
daycare 01:49 PM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I told her by Monday we need to have boots. Thanks for the backbone ladies. I don't care if she hits every store in Toronto this weekend her kid needs boots.
not telling you what to do,but if this were me I would tell her you have until this friday to supply me with boots for your child. This way she still has the weekend to shop, really.

BUT if she does not have them in her hot little hand come Monday morn she can NOT leave DCK.

Or option #2, if she does not have them by Thursday, you go out and buy them and charge her $50.00 fee....
AnneCordelia 02:05 PM 12-10-2013
Yes no care Monday without boots. :-)
Solandia 02:18 PM 12-10-2013
Mom is probably telling the truth..size 4 snow boots are extremely difficult to find in any store. Most boots start at size 5.

I would tell mom to get size fives, one size off isn't going to be too bad, and her child will get used to the boots eventually. Otherwise, 2 day shipping online will have to be her other option.
Blackcat31 02:23 PM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by Solandia:
Mom is probably telling the truth..size 4 snow boots are extremely difficult to find in any store. Most boots start at size 5.

I would tell mom to get size fives, one size off isn't going to be too bad, and her child will get used to the boots eventually. Otherwise, 2 day shipping online will have to be her other option.
I agree. It's virtually impossible to find snow boots smaller than a size 5 here.

I can't say I've even seen boots smaller than that...

What I do is have the child wear a good sturdy pair of shoes and then I put big wooly socks over their shoes.

It keeps their feet warm and they can still walk.

If they like going into deeper snow, I put plastic baggies on their feet (over the shoes, under the wooly socks) and that helps keep their feet dry.
countrymom 03:01 PM 12-10-2013
first, it was way too cold to go outside today, with the wind chill even my school kids didn't go outside.

second, this is what another mom suggested. Buy some thick winter socks, and put them over the childs shoes. This way not only will they work but they won't loose their boots.
AnneCordelia 03:16 PM 12-10-2013
It was only -8c today where I am. We do the school walk unless it is -15* c or colder. I do have a weathershield for the stroller I use for the cold days. I do not believe it too cold for being outdoors.

Turns out my sister has a pair of 4's she is bringing me tonight. Yay.

My own kids have big feet so I never needed 4's. I didn't think they'd be so hard to find! My other sis has a daughter in them, and so is my youngest DCB too.
Lucy 06:26 PM 12-10-2013
nevermind. I was pointing out that she uses celsius, but then I noticed countrymom was also from Canada. So.... nevermind! LOL
Nellie 07:35 PM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree. It's virtually impossible to find snow boots smaller than a size 5 here.

I can't say I've even seen boots smaller than that...

What I do is have the child wear a good sturdy pair of shoes and then I put big wooly socks over their shoes.

It keeps their feet warm and they can still walk.

If they like going into deeper snow, I put plastic baggies on their feet (over the shoes, under the wooly socks) and that helps keep their feet dry.
One winter in WI I had trouble finding my son a pair of boots. We had a pair I had bought earlier, but when winter came they were snug. Then within a month they were getting to small. It took me a few weeks to find a pair, going to differnt cities. We finally found a pair a size to big. They ended up working fine. Around this area snow paints and nice waterproof winter gloves go fast and are next to impossible to find right before Christmas or afterwards. I had to get snowpants online last year the week before Christmas.
Now that being said your DCM said "reasonably priced" . The higher end sporting stores and in this area farm stores have winter gear available right now and were Walmart is thinned out. At Walmart boots are $20 to$35.00 nice gloves$10 to$15. At Fleet Farm boots start at $45 and nice gloves are $12 to $25.
I understand the expense, but I do not understand why they would want there child to go cold. It makes it worse because you have to see the poor cold child. She needs them. They need to order online or shell out the extra cash for a pair that were not "reasonable".
Scout 07:36 PM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Doesn't seem comp.icated to me. She can order boots online.

Dear dcm,
Proper fitting and weather appropriate clothes and footwear is REQUIRED at daycare. Poorly fitting shoes are a safety risk because of possible tripping. Please have appropriate shoes in the correct size for dck by xxxxxx.

Thanks,
Dcp
That's what I was thinking. Amazon has everything!
Reply Up