Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>RE: Spitting. I Need Advice.....
Unregistered 04:53 AM 08-31-2012
I am a frequent poster. However I am logged out because I am not sure if the parents use this site.

I take care of a set of 4 month old twins (boys). They are a complete joy! Parents are also a complete joy.

My question is this. The one boy is CONSTANTLY and I do mean CONSTANTLY spitting up. It's like every 2 mins he is spitting up. I am not talking just little...I am talking a full fledged spewing.

DGB is drinking 5 oz. He does burp solid burps during feeding but I no sooner put him down and within seconds he's spitting.

I have tried everything! I even did burping after EVERY ounce and he still full force spitting. I even held him for a bit after burping before laying him down. Nope, same effect.

Funny thing is...brother doesn't at all. He spits up MAYBE once a week if even that. I can't talk to the parents. Tried that. Of course he doesn't spit up when he's at home or on the weekends. Yet they are the ones washing the clothes and burp clothes so they must know!

I just need some advice. I have never had a baby that spews as much as him
MyAngels 05:18 AM 08-31-2012
I've had a couple of kids like this over the years. Most of the time they're diagnosed with reflux, but I did have one little guy who did not have reflux, but spit up copiously all the time. He did outgrow it at about 14 months or so.

As far as the reflux goes, some of my littles have been prescribed medication (for the pain of it), but I don't think there is anything that can really be done for the spitting up part except maybe changing forumulas to see if there's something that agrees with them a little better.
itlw8 05:59 AM 08-31-2012
that was my ds a change in formula may help but ds#2 did it on breast milk.

sitting in a swing for 30 minutes after eathing helped. Though it usually happened when you held him.

Dil put several bibs on dgs and just removed them as he spit up on the top one.
SquirrellyMama 06:06 AM 08-31-2012
Reflux came to my mind also. My ds had it but after I took dairy out of my diet he did much better. If he isn't fussy then he might just be a spitter. My youngest dd was like that. She did out grow it but I can't remember when.

K
youretooloud 07:26 AM 08-31-2012
I had one girl who does not have a "flap" in her throat that closes when she has swallowed, so fluid will come back out as soon as she lays down, or you push on her stomach.
http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-...t+feeding+seat

When she was an infant, we fed her in this seat. (the straps are not comfey, so had to put padding on them) She ate here, AND sat in it for at least 30 minutes after eating. We did not move her again before 30 minutes. Even then, she'd sometimes spit up anyway the second you moved her.

They were going to do the surgery to repair it, but since she's doing fine, they have decided to wait and see if she will need it. SHe still will spit liquids back up occasionally though. (she's 18 months old now)

It's different than reflux, and actually not that uncommon, although i'd never heard of it. But, it can have varying degrees, so it's more obvious in some kids than others.

The seat is inexpensive, but small.
Sunchimes 09:13 AM 08-31-2012
I had that same baby. We think he had reflux, although the doctor was pretty casual about it. We put him on Sensitive stomach formula, which didn't make a lot of difference with the spitting or the crying. It was a lo-o-o-ng 3 months. But not, he's mostly over it. He still spits a bit now and then, and a lot if you fold him. But, the worst part is over and he doesn't cry anymore. It seems like he outgrew it between 5 and 6 months old.
harperluu 11:04 AM 08-31-2012
Both my youngest children spit up excessively. Because my son did not seem overly bothered by it, they diagnosed him with reflux but did not treat. It was more of a laundry problem. With my daughter, it happened so frequently and excessively that it effected her weight gain, and she was treated for reflux with medication. Reflux treatment doesn't stop the reflux, however. It just makes it more comfortable and less painful to eat. There is a surgery to correct the problem, but it is only in extreme cases. My daughter was not considered a candidate.

I think it's important for mom and dad to check it out at least to rule out other causes, such as allergies.
Lyss 01:02 PM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
Reflux came to my mind also. My ds had it but after I took dairy out of my diet he did much better...
I thought this too! My DD had reflux so bad she wasn't gaining properly. No matter how much she burped she'd always be spitting up (sometimes I swear her whole bottle came back up). Nothing worked for us but medication and honestly it wasn't that much of a help and we stopped it after about a month. We tried changing formula, different bottles, propping her crib so it was at an angle, holding her upright for 30mins after eating, adding cereal to her bottle... but she still spit up. She recently began to outgrow it, around 6-7mos, thankfully!
Unregistered 03:19 PM 09-01-2012
Thank you all!

I think I will try and do what the other poster said about the swing. If that doesn't work, then I will just have to sit and wait it out.

Thanks again!
Unregistered 05:45 PM 09-18-2012
Well when I first posted the boy was spitting up every few seconds it seemed.

Then came the new bottle of water.

The parents had been using the baby water-the one with the pink label-can't think of it. Then they brought in Ozarka spring water. Guess what? He hardly spit up at all! Here and there yes but NOTHING like how he was! I thought maybe...?

Sure enough once that was gone, they went back to the baby water and yes, the spitting up is back and then some!

I guess I will just have to deal with it
cheerfuldom 07:20 PM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Well when I first posted the boy was spitting up every few seconds it seemed.

Then came the new bottle of water.

The parents had been using the baby water-the one with the pink label-can't think of it. Then they brought in Ozarka spring water. Guess what? He hardly spit up at all! Here and there yes but NOTHING like how he was! I thought maybe...?

Sure enough once that was gone, they went back to the baby water and yes, the spitting up is back and then some!

I guess I will just have to deal with it
why cant you discuss with them that the baby does better on the other type of water? why do you have to "deal with it"?
Tags:spitting
Reply Up