Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas For A One Yr Old Outside...
jenboo 03:20 PM 10-22-2013
...who can't walk yet.
I have a dcb who is one and not walking yet. I need ideas for things he can do outside. I have grass but all he wants to do is crawl on the cement which rubs his fingers raw until they bleed.
Currently I:
Help him down the slide
Hold him
Sit him in my lap on the grass
Push him in the swing
Bring cars and balls outside but he shows no interest in them (they are his fav inside)

What do you do?
Cradle2crayons 03:24 PM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
...who can't walk yet.
I have a dcb who is one and not walking yet. I need ideas for things he can do outside. I have grass but all he wants to do is crawl on the cement which rubs his fingers raw until they bleed.
Currently I:
Help him down the slide
Hold him
Sit him in my lap on the grass
Push him in the swing
Bring cars and balls outside but he shows no interest in them (they are his fav inside)

What do you do?
I have an almost 2 year old dcg who doesn't walk yet (just commando crawls and cruises a little). I have some sturdy tables outside she stands and cruises around and plays with toys on top of. I do the slide, swings, etc. I also put her in her wagon and she plays basketball with the others on the little tykes goal. She does e sand and water table. She can hold onto the side and walk around it.

I'd make the concrete areas totally off limits for any child who can't walk decently. As in not an option at all.

Before she could stand up at all and hold on, I'd let her crawl in the grass or put a blanket down on the ground wi lots of acceptable toys and she played there a lot as well as the slide, swing, etc.
jenboo 03:36 PM 10-22-2013
Once I figured out what was happening to his fingers, I stopped letting him crawl on the cement. how do I post a picture if I'm on my phone?

Maybe ill build a water table this weekend.
Lavender 04:11 PM 10-22-2013
My kids use push things outside. I bring things out like bubbles and chalk. Most of them also like going inside the play house or through the tunnel in the play equipment.
missy 04:28 PM 10-22-2013
The little cars and wagons you push them around in are great at that age. Sandboxes, water play stations, and digging toys too. If they aren't the type who eat everything they see, give them some digging toys and a pile of dirt/sand and they will be happy:-)
nothingwithoutjoy 05:03 PM 10-22-2013
Any sort of sensory play is a big hit. I'd often plunk 1-year-olds in the sandbox, and they'd stay there for ages. Or in a big pile of leaves.

Maybe the feel of the grass is too ticklish? Some crawlers don't like it. A blanket to play on might help.

Things to put in and dump out. Whatever toy is appealing inside, brought out.

Physical challenges: a slight ramp to crawl up, or stacked pillows, a big inner tube, some small stairs. Something interesting on a table so he's inspired to pull up.

I also did a lot of bug-hunting with my 1s. Seemed to be one of their favorite things. Every day, we'd take a walk around the yard, turning over logs and such, looking for worms and bugs. Might get him more interested in the living areas of the yard!
jenboo 05:39 PM 10-22-2013
thanks for the ideas! He is just starting to pull himself up on things so hopefully he will enjoy the walking toys soon.
I'm going to try and build a water table this weekend.
I don't have a sandbox yet but he still thinks everything is food.
He is turning one on thursday, so its a little early for bug hunts but ill keep that in mind for when he gets a little older.
Unregistered 06:50 AM 10-23-2013
I have an almost 1 yo who can't walk yet either. I have a supergate (on the grass) with toys. He loves it!
It's nice cause he can pull up on the gate and cruise around or he can crawl on the ground or play with toys.
I also push him in the baby swing or bring the exersaucer outside.
jenboo 07:33 AM 10-23-2013
i plan on getting the super yards for the infants while we are outside but I don't have the money for one yet
But as soon as i do, I'm getting one!
I'm also keeping my eye out for the play houses..

..if only money grew on trees...
ABCDaycareMN 07:46 AM 10-23-2013
Could you get the stretchy gloves and maybe big socks over his pants and still let him crawl on the concrete?

Gloves saves his hands and socks saves his pants.
Meyou 07:53 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have an almost 1 yo who can't walk yet either. I have a supergate (on the grass) with toys. He loves it!
It's nice cause he can pull up on the gate and cruise around or he can crawl on the ground or play with toys.
I also push him in the baby swing or bring the exersaucer outside.
This is what I do too. I put a quilt down if the grass isn't totally dry too.
jenboo 08:08 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
Could you get the stretchy gloves and maybe big socks over his pants and still let him crawl on the concrete?

Gloves saves his hands and socks saves his pants.
Ill try the gloves! I had taped a sock on his hand the first time it happened because i couldnt get it to stop bleeding since it was still rubbing on the ground.
Tags:1 year old, outside play
Reply Up