Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have you ever had a 20 month old
morgan24 05:02 AM 05-01-2014
Who screams his head off when I turn T.V. Off? When he gets here the T.V. Is on the news. He sits down and would watch it. I turn it off and turn music on and he cries and screams for 10 to 15 minutes. I mentioned it to DCM and she said oh yeah he does that at home but we just let him watch it. It bugs Dcd when he cries so if that shuts him up that's what we do. I really don't know if I can have a long term daycare relationship with this family because we do things so different.
llpa 05:27 AM 05-01-2014
I have a now 28 mo old who came here at 20 mos and cried about everything that wasn't his way. Eventually kids learn the routine at YOUR place. I wouldn't change your routine at all. When he cries I would say "dcb you know the routine! Time to go find toy" if he doesn't stop then I generally ask themto go sit on the carpet area until they are done crying and then they can join us again. It takes a little time but if you are firm they get it. I would give no attn to him during the crying time. And then when done crying just welcome him back like nothing happened.
morgan24 05:49 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by llpa:
I have a now 28 mo old who came here at 20 mos and cried about everything that wasn't his way. Eventually kids learn the routine at YOUR place. I wouldn't change your routine at all. When he cries I would say "dcb you know the routine! Time to go find toy" if he doesn't stop then I generally ask themto go sit on the carpet area until they are done crying and then they can join us again. It takes a little time but if you are firm they get it. I would give no attn to him during the crying time. And then when done crying just welcome him back like nothing happened.
I have had this one since he was 5 months old. Dcm and Dcd are teachers so he has been doing this since he was home with them over spring break. If they continue the crying game with him I don't know how he will be able to handle life's disappointments as he gets older.
NightOwl 05:58 AM 05-01-2014
His parents are teachers??? Shame on them. They know better.
llpa 07:11 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I have had this one since he was 5 months old. Dcm and Dcd are teachers so he has been doing this since he was home with them over spring break. If they continue the crying game with him I don't know how he will be able to handle life's disappointments as he gets older.
Ohhhh, didn't realize you had him that long sounds like he may not get it you may be right about terming if they aren't willing to work with him. Perhaps a nanny would be better if his parents just give in to him. Good luck !
nothingwithoutjoy 09:50 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Who screams his head off when I turn T.V. Off? When he gets here the T.V. Is on the news. He sits down and would watch it. I turn it off and turn music on and he cries and screams for 10 to 15 minutes. I mentioned it to DCM and she said oh yeah he does that at home but we just let him watch it. It bugs Dcd when he cries so if that shuts him up that's what we do. I really don't know if I can have a long term daycare relationship with this family because we do things so different.
Why not turn it off before he arrives?
morgan24 12:46 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Why not turn it off before he arrives?
I tried that and he still cries only then dcm is here and she doesn't leave when he's crying. I have her take him in the entry way and when she is done consoling him and saying good bye bring him back in sometimes that takes awhile but at least I don't have to listen.
Reply Up