Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>time out space
mamamanda 11:37 AM 05-14-2015
I really hate time out b/c I don't find it terribly effective & I'd rather use natural or logical consequences when possible, but I have a couple kids who keep wrestling with each other & the younger one keeps trying to lay on, kiss, hit, bite, push my baby. My no touching the baby rule doesn't work with him. I literally can't turn my head for a second, go to the bathroom, or start lunch without wearing the baby or keeping him right with me. Dcb is 2yo this month. I know I need a swift consequence each time he tries, but I don't know what to do. I usually just do timeout wherever we are & this little guy does sit when I tell him to, but it doesn't curb the behavior. Do you have a designated time out spot to move kids to, or do you just have the kid sit on the floor beside you? Also, do you have any other suggestions for a consequence to use in this situation other than time out?
spedmommy4 06:07 PM 05-14-2015
I have a calm down spot (see attached photo) that the kids can use when they get sad, throw a tantrum, or need a break from the other kids. It doesn't move and I can see it from anywhere in the classroom. I teach them how and when to use it from day 1.

Regarding time outs, they can be useful when the purpose of the behavior was to get your attention. If the kiddo wasn't trying to get your attention, separating them from the group won't work.

I have a.group of boys that horse around and it does get out of hand. I tell them what they can play. For example, the monster game is okay, but no pushing or hitting your friends. (I'm okay with chasing and growling) if they overstep my boundaries, I immediately break up the game and help them find another activity. No warnings.

The boys want to play together and they know my expectations. The first few weeks of breaking up the horse play and helping them find new activities were exhausting but I don't have to intervene much anymore.
Attached: 1431651409111-1700853059.jpg (120.1 KB) 
mamamanda 05:51 AM 05-15-2015
I'm not sure, but I think the purpose of the behavior with the baby is to exert dominance. Older brother did this at first too and I've curbed it from him, but little brother is acting out what big brother does to him. If the purpose is dominance, what kind of a consequence would work in lieu of time out?
Reply Up