Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Uhhh...Am I Wrong To Refuse Services?! (VENT)
wdmmom 02:56 PM 10-06-2011
I had a DCM come this afternoon to tell me she was taking tomorrow off! SUPER! Now here it comes:

"I'm going quilting tomorrow so I will drop baby off at 9am rather than 730am and I will pick up at regular time."

Really?! She gets a day off but I don't?! I'm really getting fed up with parents that get to enjoy their day but I don't.

It's really getting to the point I'm going to take a Monday off because I CAN and I WANT TO BE SELFISH TOO!

How many of you would work and how many of you would tell her NO!
MyAngels 02:59 PM 10-06-2011
If I were being paid for the day I would take the child.

On a personal level I don't agree with her choice, as our children are only young once and I think that, for the most part, if we're not working we should spend that time with our children.

On a professional level I understand that this is part of the job.
Pammie 03:01 PM 10-06-2011
I'd work.

I honestly could care less what my dcps do during their days - that's their business. As long as I can reach them in an emergency, and I get paid for the day - I'm happy.
cheerfuldom 03:01 PM 10-06-2011
If she has paid for the day then I don't care what she does when her kid is here. As long as the drop off and pick up are still within the policies. If you need a day off, take it. I take every holiday I can get off because I never take personal days or sick days. Everyone needs a break BUT she is not obligated to keep her child home just because she is home. It would be nice for you but she isn't doing anything wrong UNLESS your policies state that daycare is for work/school only.
Crystal 03:01 PM 10-06-2011
Yes, I think you are wrong. She is still paying you. If you are being paid, it doesn't matter what the parent is doing, they have paid for the services they are using.

Now, would I prefer Mom spend time with her child? Certainly. But, that's between Mom and child.
daycare 03:04 PM 10-06-2011
Well I know how you feel and its sad that on her day off she has made a choice to do something for her instead of with her child.

but as the motto goes, don't be mad at me for not being the person YOU wish I would be.

I dont care what parents are going, so long they pay on time and drop off and pick up on time. I'll take what i can get.

BUT, i do have on family that has their kids here for every meal and more than 11.5 hours every day and it kills me when they pull up in their gym clothes or they show up together and said oh we went out to dinner..... So I guess I can relate to you in some way. But at the end of teh day, they are paying me, I agreed to those hours and it is what it is..
wdmmom 03:06 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If she has paid for the day then I don't care what she does when her kid is here. As long as the drop off and pick up are still within the policies. If you need a day off, take it. I take every holiday I can get off because I never take personal days or sick days. Everyone needs a break BUT she is not obligated to keep her child home just because she is home. It would be nice for you but she isn't doing anything wrong UNLESS your policies state that daycare is for work/school only.
YES...It is in my contract that I only work while parents are in school or at work.

She gets a paid day off...why shouldn't I...especially on a Friday!

My thought is this: I am a daycare...not a babysitting service. What she needs is a babysitter. For that I charge $10 per hour rather than $4!
nannyde 03:12 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
YES...It is in my contract that I only work while parents are in school or at work.
I tried that for many many years.... unsuccessfully I might add.

I finally gave up.

You will either get confrontation or deceit. You got confrontation.
cheerfuldom 03:13 PM 10-06-2011
well if it is in your policy then it is up to you if you are willing to try and police parents and enforce some sort of consequence for breaking policy
sharlan 03:17 PM 10-06-2011
I don't care what the parents are doing. As long as I'm paid, I don't feel that it is any of my business what they are doing or where they are at.

Just like us, parents need a off now and then.
wahmof3 03:29 PM 10-06-2011
I had a DCM come this afternoon to tell me she was taking tomorrow off! SUPER! Now here it comes:

"I'm going quilting tomorrow so I will drop baby off at 9am rather than 730am and I will pick up at regular time."

Really?! She gets a day off but I don't?! I'm really getting fed up with parents that get to enjoy their day but I don't.

It's really getting to the point I'm going to take a Monday off because I CAN and I WANT TO BE SELFISH TOO!

I can totally agree with you! Its also in my phb that my services are for work or school only. I have a family- where dcd is off 2-3 days per week. Makes me SOOOOO sad that they choose NOT to be with their child. I would never do that!
Crystal 03:30 PM 10-06-2011

She gets a paid day off...why shouldn't I...especially on a Friday!

My thought is this: I am a daycare...not a babysitting service. What she needs is a babysitter. For that I charge $10 per hour rather than $4!
How do you justify this to parents? They are paying for a service, they should be able to use it as they see fit. The only way I can see you being able to justify telling them if they are not working or going to school they cannot use care is to not pay for it. I think if you try to enforce it, they will simply NOT tell you if they are working or not.

BTW, how would YOU be getting a day off if she didn't come? Don't you have other children in care?
daycare 03:39 PM 10-06-2011
As sad as it is, at then end of the day you provide services for this family and like nan said if you try to enforce your policy they will just lie. Wll unless you installed them with gps or lo-jack. Lol

I just found out that one of my DCK that gets picked up at 7pm daily goes to bed at 7:30. This means parents see her for 30 minutes minus driving time in the evening. Do I like this nope. Is it sad oh yes,
But I run a service and I don't interfere with how they chose to live their lives so long as it doesnt affect me or their child in a negative way.

I think you would run the risk of really making this parent angry if toy decide to deny her services that I am assuming she has already paid for?
wdmmom 03:43 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
How do you justify this to parents? They are paying for a service, they should be able to use it as they see fit. The only way I can see you being able to justify telling them if they are not working or going to school they cannot use care is to not pay for it. I think if you try to enforce it, they will simply NOT tell you if they are working or not.

BTW, how would YOU be getting a day off if she didn't come? Don't you have other children in care?
I have very few children that attend Fridays and it's not the entire day off that I was referring to...just a day off from watching the infant.

I sure home Thanksgiving break comes soon!
Nellie 03:50 PM 10-06-2011
Sorry I have to agree with most every one that posted. I have a little one whose dad had vacation time to burn up before the end of the year and he has had the last 3 days off and the DCB has come. The dad is using this time to make house repairs, he is looking into going back to school so made a few appointments at the local universities, and a little R&R. Not my buisness what they do when the child is here.
Sounds like you need to take a day off.
MsMe 03:55 PM 10-06-2011
I don't police what the parents do while their children are in my care...

That said it does drive me crazy when parents do this on a regular basis.

I have said it many times before... I know I should be able to over look it and not care, but I can't. I compare it to a vegatarian working in a butcher shop. It is so against everything I think is 'right' that I have chosen to leave daycare because of it.
Live and Learn 04:07 PM 10-06-2011
You are fighting a losing battle.
Angelwings36 04:08 PM 10-06-2011
If her child was the only child that was suppose to come tomorrow and she informed me she had the day off I would close personally. If I had other children coming then I would still take her child.
Kaddidle Care 04:28 PM 10-06-2011

I would work - I think sometimes it's better if they don't tell us what they plan to do on their day off and we just go along thinking they are at work.
AfterSchoolMom 04:51 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
If her child was the only child that was suppose to come tomorrow and she informed me she had the day off I would close personally. If I had other children coming then I would still take her child.
This. If you don't have any other kids coming and want the day off, tell her so, but I'd be prepared to take a day off unpaid or expect her to give you grief over paying.
e.j. 06:28 PM 10-06-2011
I would work. I run a child care business. It doesn't matter to me what the parents are doing with their time. As long as they pay me and pick up on time, I don't think it's any of my business what they're doing while their child is with me.
wdmmom 06:34 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I would work. I run a child care business. It doesn't matter to me what the parents are doing with their time. As long as they pay me and pick up on time, I don't think it's any of my business what they're doing while their child is with me.
That's where we differ. I feel because I have the child in my care, I have the right to know where the parent is. It's better she told me she won't be at work versus something happening and me calling her at work and not reaching her...kwim?!
jojosmommy 06:36 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I'd work.

I honestly could care less what my dcps do during their days - that's their business. As long as I can reach them in an emergency, and I get paid for the day - I'm happy.
I agree. Otherwise next time mom won't tell you her plans and will just drop off at 7:30 like usual. I would be glad to get an hour and a half w/o this kid and still get paid as usual.

I disagree with it personally BUT I have DCP do it and I do not care from a business point of view.
Country Kids 08:18 PM 10-06-2011
I have had a parent drop children off and then go to work, or so I thought. We later had to call for a sick child and no mom at work. Didn't have a cell phone or wasn't answering so I finally was able to get ahold of dad. I was not a happy camper!!!!

What I have always noticed is, the parents that take a day off and keep the child in childcare is the one that the provider needs the most break from. I have had a few over the years that when they aren't here I'm happier and all my kids are more happier. I think the parents feel the same way so instead of keeping the child they drop them off as usual and get a whole free day.
Pammie 04:15 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
What I have always noticed is, the parents that take a day off and keep the child in childcare is the one that the provider needs the most break from. I have had a few over the years that when they aren't here I'm happier and all my kids are more happier. I think the parents feel the same way so instead of keeping the child they drop them off as usual and get a whole free day.
So true,
Over the summer, I found myself trying to tactfully answer a question posed to me by one of my s/a kids - as to why two sibling dcks were here for daycare every day of the summer, when both of their parents are teachers and had the entire summer off. Before I could come up with a nice response, my s/a said, "oh, if they were my kids I wouldn't want to spend time with them either."
Funny and sad all at the same time.
Cat Herder 04:29 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I tried that for many many years.... unsuccessfully I might add.

I finally gave up.

You will either get confrontation or deceit. You got confrontation.
Same here. More Rules = More Policing = More Stress = Faster Burnout = Less "Fun" Me for My Family and My DCK's

It occurred to me that I can't dictate ethics, morals, priorities or parental life choices.

What is important to me is not necessarily important to someone else and I needed to respect that.

IMHO, I have my operational hours and am obligated to work those hours. Now, let the clock strike 6 and the parent isn't here I get VERY cranky. I liken it to feeding a Mogwai after midnight...
DCMom 05:50 AM 10-07-2011
I would work.

I charge by the spot and I am being paid for it. Built into that per spot charge are paid holidays and days off, so as long as they don't give me grief for the days I take off, I don't care what they do with theirs. I stopped fighting that battle a long time ago.
wdmmom 05:53 AM 10-07-2011
Now she's telling me pick up might be a bit later since she is going to be over a half hour away.

I told her, "NOPE!" You have until 2:40pm or late charges will incur!
countrymom 06:01 AM 10-07-2011
I understand where your coming from. I had a mom who would dump her kid off here all the time, to go shopping, to put up the christmas tree, to get a hair cut (why she didn't do this on the weekend made no sense) the problem started occuring when I needed days off (I don't many off) or needed the kid to be picked up early then holy stink the parents would be made. I don't care if they pay me, the point is why should I have to deal with your child everyday while you get to do whatever you want but when I need it off I get "I'm going to get fired from my job"
Crazy8 06:04 AM 10-07-2011
yes, I do think you are wrong to refuse services. If the child is contracted to come on Fridays you should take them regardless of where mom is going. She informed you of where she'd be, how to reach her and she's giving you a few hours off. I don't think you have the right to ask for anything else.

Now if your policy states they are not allowed to bring their child if they are not going to work you can call them on that - but be prepared for them to either start lying about it or find another daycare. I'd rather them be honest with me so I know how/where I can reach them.

Only time I ever had an issue was with a parent who took days off work all summer for "fun" things while her kids were still here but then "couldn't" take the time off when they were sick in the Fall because she was out of days - they didn't last long - that was just one indicator that she was a very irresponsible parent.

I know people (not my dc families) who work all week while kids are in daycare and then ship the kids to the grandparents for the weekend or hire babysitters every Sat night because they "need a break from their kids". There's a big difference between that and needing a "mental health" day once in a while. A little time alone makes all of us better parents - let this mom enjoy her time and take it as a compliment that she knows her child is safe with you!
wdmmom 06:11 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
yes, I do think you are wrong to refuse services. If the child is contracted to come on Fridays you should take them regardless of where mom is going. She informed you of where she'd be, how to reach her and she's giving you a few hours off. I don't think you have the right to ask for anything else.

Now if your policy states they are not allowed to bring their child if they are not going to work you can call them on that - but be prepared for them to either start lying about it or find another daycare. I'd rather them be honest with me so I know how/where I can reach them.

Only time I ever had an issue was with a parent who took days off work all summer for "fun" things while her kids were still here but then "couldn't" take the time off when they were sick in the Fall because she was out of days - they didn't last long - that was just one indicator that she was a very irresponsible parent.

I know people (not my dc families) who work all week while kids are in daycare and then ship the kids to the grandparents for the weekend or hire babysitters every Sat night because they "need a break from their kids". There's a big difference between that and needing a "mental health" day once in a while. A little time alone makes all of us better parents - let this mom enjoy her time and take it as a compliment that she knows her child is safe with you!
Yes, I get it.

I just wasn't sure if I should remind her of my policies and that she must comply.

She's now wanting to pick up later. So it's 45 minutes late drop off this morning but 30-45 minutes later pick up this afternoon. NO THANK YOU!!!
TBird 06:18 AM 10-07-2011
As long as I'm paid and she picks up on time, I'M WORKING!!!

As it is, I have a military child whose mom pays for Full Time care "just in case" and he only comes maybe 2 days per week so far. He's an ANGEL and has no adjustment problems...I am always paid on time and for the full amount. As long as I am PAID, I consider myself truly blessed!!!
Unregistered 06:44 AM 10-07-2011
I am a parent and see both sides. If it's a habit - something the parents do all the time - then I agree, it is a problem and it makes me very sad. But a once in a while thing? Cut the parents some slack. I, for the first time since my child was enrolled in daycare 10 months ago, am taking an afternoon off and leaving my child in daycare for the first time. Why? To clean and cook and decorate for her birthday party this weekend. It's only for a couple of hours and not something I plan to make a habit of. On the flip side, if you as the provider want a day/afternoon to do the same, why not ask? Our provider has asked if it would be okay to have the day off in a couple of weeks to do projects at home. I said OF COURSE! We will ask the grandparents to watch our child that day. Everyone needs time off now and then to get some things done. I'm not going to expect her to watch our child anyway just because she's going to be home. To me, it's all about give and take.
MommieNana4 06:50 AM 10-07-2011
If she is paying you to watch her child then don't worry about what she is doing in her off time. If you need time off...take it.
Blackcat31 07:22 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a parent and see both sides. If it's a habit - something the parents do all the time - then I agree, it is a problem and it makes me very sad. But a once in a while thing? Cut the parents some slack. I, for the first time since my child was enrolled in daycare 10 months ago, am taking an afternoon off and leaving my child in daycare for the first time. Why? To clean and cook and decorate for her birthday party this weekend. It's only for a couple of hours and not something I plan to make a habit of. On the flip side, if you as the provider want a day/afternoon to do the same, why not ask? Our provider has asked if it would be okay to have the day off in a couple of weeks to do projects at home. I said OF COURSE! We will ask the grandparents to watch our child that day. Everyone needs time off now and then to get some things done. I'm not going to expect her to watch our child anyway just because she's going to be home. To me, it's all about give and take.
I completely agree with this! If you as a provider wants/needs a day off, then take one. Don't be offended simply because you are being told a parent has the day off and then complain about how you want one too.....that sounds childish and petty. You are a business woman. Take a day off if you want. That is the beauty of being self employed.

If I am being paid, I work. If I don't I can't pay my bills or feed my family and will have to start posting about how hard it is to make ends meet. I knew coming into this business that as long as a parent is reachable, I really don't care where they are and what they are doing. I agree with PP's about this being a really hard thing to police.

On the flip side, just because someone has a child doesn't mean that they have to be attached at the hip. Parenting doesn't require parents to spend every waking second with their child if they aren't working. In order to be a well rounded healthy person, we need to be able to be defined as things other than Billy's mom. Billy's mom should be allowed to have friends and hobbies and all the other things that make her who she is. We do not cease to be the people we were once we give birth or become parents.

I think it is wrong to assume that because a mom is leaving her child at daycare to do something other than work that it is so sad for the child and that the mom is esentially a bad parent because she doesn't spend enough time with them. We have no way of knowing what amount of time she spends with her child or the type of quality time she actually has with her child.

I think that if you want to dictate where a parent goes while you are watching their child then you need to have a really good plan in place for enforcing this. If they lie, then you need to be prepared to term immediatley and if they ask honestly, as this parent did, then you have the right to refuse service if that is your policy. However, you are asking the general population of providers that make up this forum and I don't see many who agree that child care providers can successfully manage this. If you can and do then, stick to your policies and do what works for you. That is one of the reasons I love this business!
Country Kids 08:14 AM 10-07-2011
OK, from what I see the op said in her contract that the parent has to be either working or at school in order to bring the child to childcare.

If I were you I would have said I'm unable to watch the child per my contract. These are the conditions under which I watch children.

Also, I would let her know that if you were to watch the child she would need to be picked up at normal time.

I wouldn't be mad at her per say since she told you what she was doing. I would have simply stuck by your contract and then you wouldn't be working today if you truly don't want to work.

Also, someone please chime in, I may have this wrong but since you are watching the child outside of the times specified in your contract, the contract is void. My understanding is it also voids the other parents contracts since you broke it for one. I may not understand this totally but I thought this is what I understood.
caligirl 08:49 AM 10-07-2011
I don't have any stipulations in my contract that states that I will only watch when a parent is at work or at school, so I don't mind when they bring their child on their day off since they've paid for the day anyway.......that being said, what DOES get under my skin is when they are off, and bring their child earlier than usual and pick up later than usual. They all know my hours are 7-5. All but 2 are here from 8-4:30....it's when they are off and thy drop off the minute I open the door and pick up the minute I am closing that bugs me. I always think, why not spend at least a LITTLE time with your child....either that, or stop complaining to me how much you miss them when you are at work
daycare 08:55 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
OK, from what I see the op said in her contract that the parent has to be either working or at school in order to bring the child to childcare.

If I were you I would have said I'm unable to watch the child per my contract. These are the conditions under which I watch children.

Also, I would let her know that if you were to watch the child she would need to be picked up at normal time.

I wouldn't be mad at her per say since she told you what she was doing. I would have simply stuck by your contract and then you wouldn't be working today if you truly don't want to work.

Also, someone please chime in, I may have this wrong but since you are watching the child outside of the times specified in your contract, the contract is void. My understanding is it also voids the other parents contracts since you broke it for one. I may not understand this totally but I thought this is what I understood.
I have in my contract that should I decide to oversee any of my policies for any reason, taht it will not void the contract or make any other policies invalid.
mom2many 09:02 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by caligirl:
I don't have any stipulations in my contract that states that I will only watch when a parent is at work or at school, so I don't mind when they bring their child on their day off since they've paid for the day anyway.......that being said, what DOES get under my skin is when they are off, and bring their child earlier than usual and pick up later than usual. They all know my hours are 7-5. All but 2 are here from 8-4:30....it's when they are off and thy drop off the minute I open the door and pick up the minute I am closing that bugs me. I always think, why not spend at least a LITTLE time with your child....either that, or stop complaining to me how much you miss them when you are at work
This exactly!
WImom 09:43 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I'd work.

I feel the same way.

Its your business...take a day off if you want. Just give them plenty of notice.
Unregistered 10:27 AM 10-07-2011
I feel if it is in your contract that you only work when the parent is working or in school, then you should have said something refering to your contract straight out when she told you.

I feel a parent should be with thier child when they are not working or in school or meetings. I am providing a service for when you can't be with your child. I am not a baby sitter. but..... if a parent is up front with me and puts it out on the line that they need a break and will be doing such and such.....then I can comply to that, because I am working and I am here, but if it becomes abused that is another story.

Nan I am surprised that you said you gave up on this because I really like what you have said in the past on this toppic. You have put some good post out there on this subject too. A child given a choice will almost always pick to spend that time with the parents,esp come the end of the day when the child has been with us all day long, they want to transition to other things.

I don't agree with just take a day off if you want. I feel your working and running a business, so you should be available to your customers and not just randomly close when you want.

I have flex room on this one. I would not hesitate to tell a parent that I felt was abusing me, by having thier child here when they are capable how I felt. If I knew up front that a child was coming to me to give the parent self time......that's different. Some parents do this. It's the way they choose to live. They are paying me for those hours. Then you have the state parents, that have care scheduled just so they can work and go to school.

I have one parent that works 3 minutes from me and get's out of work at 4:30 but does not pick up until 5.......last kid, urks me to no end. She is great in all other areas.....so I tolerate it. ......but deep down it's an irritation to me. Hard part is the child watches everyone else go home and waits and waits and waits. Parents don't stop to think we are tired too come the end of the day. We are ready to be done. They just think we have this never ending love for kids that goes on and on and on into our sleep and off hours and every waking moment.... lets be real. I love them, but I love sending them home too. I can understand how you feel, just decide what you want to do about it and move on. I again would have said something right away and it has taken me a while to be on my feet and strong enough to be able to do that. I also agree you have a different dinamic when you take one child out of the group and sometimes that is nice break, peps you up to keep on a going and have the love for what you are doing.
e.j. 10:57 AM 10-07-2011
That's where we differ. I feel because I have the child in my care, I have the right to know where the parent is. It's better she told me she won't be at work versus something happening and me calling her at work and not reaching her...kwim?!
I think there was a misunderstanding as to what I said in my original reply. We have no disagreement about needing correct contact info. (I didn't address that in my comments because I assumed the importance of contact info was understood.) I just don't care what the parents are doing with their time while the child is with me. They can work, go to school, go shopping, clean the house, have their hair done, watch soap operas, take dance lessons, practice their yoga moves, clip their toe nails, etc. I offer a service which is child care. Parents pay me to provide that service. It doesn't matter to me why they need (or want) my service.

If your contract states you only do care for parents who are working or going to school and she signed it, you're well within your rights to refuse care. I just don't feel the need to have something similar in mine.

I did read where she wanted to pick up her child later than usual, though, and that wouldn't fly with me. I would tell her she need to pick up on time. I'm flexible for parents when I need to be but for something recreational like quilting, it's not fair of her to ask you to work late - especially on a Friday!
jen 06:05 PM 10-07-2011
I understand that you want a day off and you should absolutely take one! Are you giving yourself vacation days? EVERYONE is entitled to a down day, parents too. (DISCLAIMER: Does NOT apply to the parents who do it on weekly or even monthly basis.)

So, if you want a vacation day, give notice per your contract and enjoy!
Christian Mother 07:11 PM 10-07-2011
I have parents that are open and honest with me if they take a personal day. I am totally ok with that. Mainly bc I don't get paid for the days the child is not in my care. So you can understand where I do not care at all what the parents are up to as long as their child is picked up on time. If they want to sleep in and drop their child off late... No problem. But they understand that per our contract our hrs still stand. Late fees will be applied the min. after pick up. Sure, they will sometimes tell me... I'm going to be a little late and you know what. I smile and say no prob. I totally understand. Late fee of $5 will be applied though. Sometimes I'll wave it for the parents that only are late once in a blue moon. Others who are late quiet a bit get a late fee. The ones who don't though let me know a month in advance bc of a doctors or dentist apt. That gives me a full mo to plan and I appreciate that so I waive it. The ones that are late quiet a bit I have to admit have been awesome lately with pick up on time not to mention have been here even early. I can tell there trying and that counts in my book...that is when I'm willing to waive fees bc I see improvement..but now I am getting past the subject.

The thing I was trying to get at is that times are really hard right now...I can't afford to be picky on how a parent decides to use her daycare days. There are things my children need this mo. and each week I figure in pay. I won't argue with a parent on their time off as I WANT their child here...I don't get paid if their not.
Tags:parents - ask too much, vent
Reply Up