Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advise On This. Please Help
daycare 02:30 PM 02-13-2015
I have a dck that is age 4.4

in the last few weeks we have been having a ton of potty accidents. the child uses the bathroom more than anyone else here and goes to the bathroom on average about twice an hour.

Here is what we have done.

make sure child is going all the way. I stand in the doorway and have child sing abcs 3 times all the way through tell them to go all the way. I have resorted to doing this so that I know child is going all the way.

we do not have drinks more than we had before, as we have the same amount of water breaks and drinks at meal time.

Child has been taken to the doc to get checked for UTI and nothing.

Everyday child is going WAY too many times, and at first I thought the child was doing it for attention or a game, but then I feel horrible and kid has an accident.

Nap time child goes at 1pm and I make sure child goes all the way. 30-40miniutes later child starts scream crying wakes everyone and says needs to go again. First time, I said yes ok and then they went and I again stood in the door way and made sure child is going. they went.
30 minutes later kid asked to go again, again waking everyone up and I said NO this time, you just went. Of course accident.

I asked dcm about how child was potty trained, you know the kind where they do every 20 min on the pot and then don't learn to hold it and mom said no.

So now I don't know what to do. We can't even go for a walk or hike, park because the child has to go non-stop.

parents claim this does not happen at home.

HELP what else could be going on?
Thriftylady 02:37 PM 02-13-2015
Wow that is tough. I hate to say it but I may consider terming. It sounds like it is totally disrupting the rest of the kids. I would ask the parents to take the child to doctor again and tell the problem and have the doctor write a plan with the parents of how to handle this. You can then also have a plan with the parents. If it continued, I would either raise the rate for the extra work you have or term if it is totally causing issues. I also wonder if it is attention, because it is obviously getting it.
daycare 02:40 PM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Wow that is tough. I hate to say it but I may consider terming. It sounds like it is totally disrupting the rest of the kids. I would ask the parents to take the child to doctor again and tell the problem and have the doctor write a plan with the parents of how to handle this. You can then also have a plan with the parents. If it continued, I would either raise the rate for the extra work you have or term if it is totally causing issues. I also wonder if it is attention, because it is obviously getting it.
the child is a huge attention seeker, so this is why I thought they were doing it at first, but yesterday at snack time they had an accident.

everyone got up right at 245, went potty. 300 kid says I need to go to the bathroom while sitting at the snack table. My first thought was the child didn't like the food and wanted to go to the bathroom to kill time or such. I said eat your food first and next thing you know, kid pees all over the chair and floor.............

I feel stuck.
jenboo 02:47 PM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
the child is a huge attention seeker, so this is why I thought they were doing it at first, but yesterday at snack time they had an accident.

everyone got up right at 245, went potty. 300 kid says I need to go to the bathroom while sitting at the snack table. My first thought was the child didn't like the food and wanted to go to the bathroom to kill time or such. I said eat your food first and next thing you know, kid pees all over the chair and floor.............

I feel stuck.
Are these accidents full pees? Is the child having accidents to get attention since you aren't letting them go to the bathroom?
butterfly 02:48 PM 02-13-2015
Any changes at home? As in parent working longer hours, bedtime change? Anything?

I had the very same situation with a 5 year old. Constantly going to the bathroom, if I had them wait a bit, he would have an accident. Dr visit found nothing. Turns out dad's hours changed and he was hardly seeing the kid. Prior to this, the kid and dad were always together in the evenings. The kid is a total daddy's boy. Once dad put extra effort in spending time with the boy, the issues stopped.

I absolutely could not believe it!! I thought for sure there had to be some sort of medical issue causing it.
daycare 02:55 PM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Are these accidents full pees? Is the child having accidents to get attention since you aren't letting them go to the bathroom?
yesterday was a full pee accident at snack time not too sure about naps times as i don't feel them.
nanglgrl 02:57 PM 02-13-2015
I feel for you! I just had a just turned 3 yo do this. She was ou hear for a few months but it was how she started with me and did the exact same thing down to the scream crying. She did it for the first month was fine for a week, started doing it again, was fine for a week and now is leaving for a preschool that requires them to be 100% potty trained.
My first thought was also that she learned to go potty by bring out on the potty every 30 minutes because it seemed she went into the bathroom every 30 minutes and any time she wasn't able to go every 30 minutes due to an activity or forgot she had an accident. Parents never said how she was trained. She didn't have a UTI but was an incredibly headstrong child who likes to get her way.
Unregistered 03:36 PM 02-13-2015
I would put a pull-up on him
NeedaVaca 04:24 PM 02-13-2015
Has he been checked for diabetes? It could be medical. He probably goes at home by himself and it's possible his parents don't notice how often.
daycare 05:36 PM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Has he been checked for diabetes? It could be medical. He probably goes at home by himself and it's possible his parents don't notice how often.
I did think about this and the child does have MASSIVE mood swings... and I bet you are right that because the child is going without needing assistance, I bet the parents are not taking note of it.
NeedaVaca 06:47 PM 02-13-2015
This was interesting too since you said it just recently started:

http://www.stlouischildrens.org/dise...ns/pollakiuria
Reply Up